Login

Dubious Rock - MWC, R2R,Tapebooster

Your songs!

Dubious Rock - MWC, R2R,Tapebooster

Postby pat38 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi all

The track is a total bash/impro, each take is a one take...

mp3 - 192 kbps vbr
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4536518/CryoBoys_On_LSD.mp3

mp3 - soundcloud 128 kbps
link: http://snd.sc/geleIo

Mixed on headphones since the room is not acoustically treated so please bear with me ...

In the end, I am not sure this sounds any good at all, especially comparing to other tracks in this forum ! It ends up to be a very dirty, lo-fi, undisciplined, ambient wild thing...

The Hihat on the right was very painful to tame... And still too annoying... I think because my first print pass after tracking brought way too much harmonics before mixing already, so re-adding some Nebula processing maybe too much then ... :/

If it definitely sounds like crap, feel free to tell me why with some advice !

- Alexb MWC, CDsoundmaster R2R+Tapebooster on all 4 tracks, l/r guitars group, mixbus and master out

1 drum track = 3 drum loops happily sliced upside-down
3 guitars are EHX stomps TubeZipper + Deluxe Memory Man straight into BAE 1073 DI, with different settings for each
- l/r guitars panned with MWC
- center guitar is mono, not grouped

Additional processing
- UAD massive passive, Oxford EQs or Voxengo GlissEQ here and there: mostly skimming the KD/Toms big lows, sizzling HiHats, and everything under 100 hz on guitars..
- PSP Mixaturator on the l/r guitars group : Here, I'm sure it hurts more than anything else... Should remove that...
- Waves S*L buss comp, ratio 10:1, ends up with -1db reduction.
- Waves L2 leveler to climb to some decent, yet prudent, RMS (making sure no clip/attenuation was happening)

Best
Patrick
pat38
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Dubious Rock - MWC, R2R,Tapebooster

Postby highvoltage » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:07 am

haha read the song title, i just had to download it :)

and i wasnt dissappointed. I have absolutely no problems with the sound, its very warm and fuzzy, and like the drums, highhat sounds smooth.
highvoltage

Re: Dubious Rock - MWC, R2R,Tapebooster

Postby pat38 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:13 am

highvoltage wrote:haha read the song title, i just had to download it :)

and i wasnt dissappointed. I have absolutely no problems with the sound, its very warm and fuzzy, and like the drums, highhat sounds smooth.

Thks, appreciate the comment ;)

I still think harshness is not far though... that HH still a bit too sizzling for taste. Surely because it is too far on the right in the stereo image too : gets on my nerve !

Maybe adding a Bass part could warm things up and fix the balance somehow...

Less comp on the buss may take away some mids mush too...

One thing is sure I was surely a bit too fast in choosing the R2R progs : reading this post of yours actually now gives me a lot of insight on that matter :
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... t=10#p3954

I will def take the time to A/B every setting to see what it actually does in real time before printing anything at pre-mix ...

Cheers :)
Dubious Pat
pat38
User Level II
User Level II

Return to Songs/Tracks