Hi all, We just released a new track made using plenty of Nebula (MBC Pro, R2R, VNXT, Mammoth EQ) during mixing and mastering: http://music.acitizenabovesuspicion.co.uk/track/the-prisoner. It was certainly a bit of an IT nightmare using Vista x64, Sonar 8.5 x64 - lots of crashing etc, but am pleased with the overal sound now it's done. Thanks to all the third party library creators, Paul
Thanks for the feedback and to those who downloaded. I realise I wasn't particularly expansive in my original post - I'm not sure how many of my IT issues are due to using Vista, and using it in a 64 bit environment. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has also had difficulties with Sonar 8.5 in this environment. Perhaps Windows 7 would yield more reliable results.
I should perhaps have said that Nebula has certainly helped us increase the quality of our music - which is all recorded in a bedroom with minimal acoustic treatment etc.
Thanks - no still not really sure why the stability is so bad. It wasn't jut in this project, but seems to be something about Sonar/Vista/Nebula not wanting to play nicely together.
For me the crashes start occurring when a mix or master nears completion. The problems range from Sonar failing to open a project and hanging during the loading process (probably because I work at 44.1 and I understand resampling/conversion takes place for the Nebula progs that are 96k) to the DAW hanging and crashing when a new instance of Nebula is added, to random issues such as a Nebula suddenly creating a huge peak/over and then failing to respond.
The only tips I have are to make full use of the Renderer programme, and to save very regularly indeed.... It is hard to work this way, but as you say I can't really justify reverting to the older plugs I used to use because the sound's so much better. Paul