80% of the recordings were really good, the remaining 20% were (as we all know ) guerilla style, haha. They did use good preamps and stellar mics, but since it was recorded in the old "Lovebox" studio, there was not much control over the sound, if you ask me. I couldn't really hear properly what was going on in there. So I'm really glad I just got the final tracks and a rough mix with annotations.
One of the most fascinating things - among us Nebulites here - was the use of Henry's "MIL" preamp in order to clean up the vibes/glockenspiel recordings that were kind of annoyingly distorted and thus ringing unnaturally. Apart from that: healthy doses of AlexB 54 compressors, Apex tapes, HO Mojo programs, lots of different Nebula EQs, 140 and 240 reverbs et al.
Mastering btw was done with Ivory and Scarlet - after a Gyraf compressor and before a Pro-L. Stunning as well!
interesting about the N2254 from Boschi... I used it yesterday as demo version on a contest track on much tracks in 3:1 and after bouncing i compared to the MJUC-Mix before... the 2254 made all sound as polished or like a feather. the transients seemd to be smeared in a positive way so that it was many times more pleasent to hear on headphones... Also the N2254 has a very dark oldish or tapeish tone. I thought i would like the N2264 more... but it was the 2254 for me... I should buy the full version of it. I also like Boschis Chand-ler CLG Comp which is also a bit darker on the highs and which adds something interesting.
It would be so great if Boschi and Aqua would work together on the 2254 to get that as a plugin Anyway i have to improve my monitors next year to hear the different flavours more obvious. I'm working on KH120 and like to replace them with Amphion One 15 or the KS Digital D606...
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k. Selection: Pearl 2 (!), Lime (!), Titanium 2 (!), Pink2412, Amethyst2, Navy, Honey (!), Scarlet3, Magenta3, Blue (!). HW: AML EZ1073, CAPI VP 28, C******r Germanium C, C******r Tone Control, Stam Audio SA-2A, RND 542 Tape Sim.
Yeah - the endless quest for the "right" monitor )) The order is: mediocre monitor > OK mixes, but something is missing > bigger/better monitors > bad mixes > add NS10's or Auratones > better, but not as good as with the mediocre ones > add room treatment > AHA! > go crazy over testing different high end monitors