Login

Green, Magenta, Amber, Orange, Ivory, Honey Equalizers

Your songs!

Re: Green, Magenta, Amber Equalizers

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:52 am

kindafishy wrote:
TranscendingMusic wrote:The peak we can set aside, it won't give us useful "loudness" info any way. But are you sure about your figures? Green and Magenta are identical in RMS. And amber is just .1 dB different in the left channel - natural circuit/channel tolerance and certainly not enough to influence loudness in this case.
rms.png

as you see they're almost perfectly matched

Yes, those are very close to what I am seeing using the SWS RMS actions in REAPER - the additional DR is kind of interesting though. You can't set aside peak as those may be very much indicative of additional/different transient material that is getting though, which might account for the additional detail that is present.

Anyway, most of us who have been mixing for any length of time can hear much less than a dB of difference. Maybe it is interpreted as 'louder' or maybe as 'better' or whatever, but it is audible.

That being said, I am very happy to concede that it may have had no influence on me and I just prefer the sound of green with this song :).

I'm not at all casting any doubts or faults or anything of the sort. I kindly thank you for doing this comparison. I really enjoyed listening to the differences.

Not a problem at all, it is okay to bring up a question about something. For instance about peak information. If we want to listen and compare to processed files, the pertinent part of those audio files that determine any kind of equal playing field in order to make those comparisons is the RMS level. I say cast aside peaks because they will take care of themselves. I agree that the nature of peaks can contribute to the perception of loudness but in the process of leaving nothing to any actual level difference, the peak value is merely the effect of the nature of the transients. So the added bonus or detriment we get form teh effects upon the peaks is just part of the nature of the comparison, but only as an additional characteristic. Otherwise trying to set files by peaks will deter the ear from where the only reliable place is to actually set levels: rms. For other purposes we can certainly gain knowledge of a processor by studying the peak response: such as phase response, circuit saturation, dynamic limiting like tape, etc. But for practical purposes in setting levels for comparison, we want to remove loudness out of the equation and only rms leveling can do that for us. Peak information after that fact is a bonus for sure :)

and @franc_loup you're welcome!
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Re: Green, Magenta, Amber Equalizers

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:32 pm

added Orange eq
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Re: Green, Magenta, Amber, Orange Equalizers

Postby giancarlo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:05 pm

well, having this crowded forum you get all feedbacks here!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby TranscendingMusic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:04 pm

yes. I also had good feedback on GS. I think in these contexts one can hear the wonderful and varied character between each one.
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby russianpolecat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi TM. I was wondering if you could do a mix of this same song using Alex's latest 1073 V2? Personally I think it is quite an improvement on the first version and is closest to a real 1073 that I've heard ITB. Would be good to have that as a comparison.

Thanks,

Chris
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Green, Magenta, Amber, Orange, Ivory Equalizers

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:03 am

Added Ivory EQ.

hey chris, would love to but I don't have the alexB 73 collection presently.
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby russianpolecat » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi, the Ivory mix is my favourite so far. Hopefully you can get hold of the N**e collection in the future because I do think it would be great to add it to the list - esp given the thread on gearslutz regarding the 1073 comparisons :)
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:01 pm

russianpolecat wrote:Hi, the Ivory mix is my favourite so far. Hopefully you can get hold of the N**e collection in the future because I do think it would be great to add it to the list - esp given the thread on gearslutz regarding the 1073 comparisons :)

yes :)
the 1073 comparison was also more extensive, as it contained equalization for each instrument track.
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Re: Green, Magenta, Amber, Orange, Ivory, Honey Equalizers

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Honey Mix is up.
Another awesome and interesting flavor.
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Re: Green, Magenta, Amber, Orange, Ivory, Honey Equalizers

Postby cjperez » Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Gotta say man.... Thanks for taking the time to do this.... It is very much appreciated.......
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.
cjperez
User Level VII
User Level VII

PreviousNext

Return to Songs/Tracks