Login

Green, Magenta, Amber, Orange, Ivory, Honey Equalizers

Your songs!

Re: Green, Magenta, Amber Equalizers

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Definitely true but ya can't ignore the download/view count but lack of feedback ;)
So Steve what do you think, any favorites? Or do you find them all to be useful for you?
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Hannes_F » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:13 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:Definitely true but ya can't ignore the download/view count but lack of feedback ;)
So Steve what do you think, any favorites? Or do you find them all to be useful for you?

1 % feedback usually is good.
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby SWAN » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:17 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:Definitely true but ya can't ignore the download/view count but lack of feedback ;)

I like them all 8-)...its funny they seem to have their own thing.

But in this example my fave are Magenta and Green.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:29 pm

SWAN wrote:

I like them all 8-)...its funny they seem to have their own thing.

But in this example my fave are Magenta and Green.

cool, I feel the same. It's only a matter of context here. Not to mention, like I was saying before, I think I'd get better results utilizing the strengths and character of each one specifically on an instrument group/bus.

@Hannes_F 1% would be nice, as it stands it is like a little over a 1/3% :lol:
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Similar enough that a non audiophile (or anyone with consumer speakers) would probably not notice any difference at all, so one could say that they are all fine EQ's (IMO, of course).

Based on what I like, I picked green almost every time as my preferred track (although I did run through RMS analysis afterward and noted that it is ever so slightly louder in both peak and rms than other tracks, so that may have affected my judgement). I felt that it brought frequencies forward in a slightly more pleasing way than the others.

They all sound nice though. I don't currently own any of these, but if I was looking for a bus EQ right now, I'd seriously consider green (just based on this comparison).
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:10 am

The peak we can set aside, it won't give us useful "loudness" info any way. But are you sure about your figures? Green and Magenta are identical in RMS. And amber is just .1 dB different in the left channel - natural circuit/channel tolerance and certainly not enough to influence loudness in this case.
rms.png

as you see they're almost perfectly matched
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:11 am

i tested the loudness with an up to date integrated loudness measurement.

the processed versions are equal loudness short term and integrated.

i found only the dry version being 0,4 db lower with this measurement.

i also like green the most, magenta being very near.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby franc_loup » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 am

Green is convincing because it sounds very natural. That's the one I prefer. Maybe I'm influenced by my devotion toward George M. I respect the engineer, the producer, the teacher, the friendly, comprehensive gentleman. So many people in one person ! I hope he's been in touch with Acustica Audio for the release of Green.
Last edited by franc_loup on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
franc_loup
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby franc_loup » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 am

… and thank you TranscendingMusic for the comparison, this is one of the most useful thread on any music/engineering forum ever.

Well… I may be in a superlative mood tonight, but I really mean it. :mrgreen:
franc_loup
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby kindafishy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:29 am

TranscendingMusic wrote:The peak we can set aside, it won't give us useful "loudness" info any way. But are you sure about your figures? Green and Magenta are identical in RMS. And amber is just .1 dB different in the left channel - natural circuit/channel tolerance and certainly not enough to influence loudness in this case.
rms.png

as you see they're almost perfectly matched

Yes, those are very close to what I am seeing using the SWS RMS actions in REAPER - the additional DR is kind of interesting though. You can't set aside peak as those may be very much indicative of additional/different transient material that is getting though, which might account for the additional detail that is present.

Anyway, most of us who have been mixing for any length of time can hear much less than a dB of difference. Maybe it is interpreted as 'louder' or maybe as 'better' or whatever, but it is audible.

That being said, I am very happy to concede that it may have had no influence on me and I just prefer the sound of green with this song :).

I'm not at all casting any doubts or faults or anything of the sort. I kindly thank you for doing this comparison. I really enjoyed listening to the differences.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to Songs/Tracks