Login

tell me what's wrong with this mix

Your songs!

tell me what's wrong with this mix

Postby SWANG » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 pm

only non-nebula processing (cd soundmaster libraries mainly) was psp oldtimer ME for some 2 bus compression and voxengo elephant limiter.

instrumental jazz

http://soundcloud.com/swang77/marcel-my-friend/s-jnlP9
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: tell me what's wrong with this mix

Postby mathias » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:48 am

first, nice music, nice feel...!

i did not analyze it deeper, but from the first impression:

the keys in the beginning (and the end) are way too fat.
the overlay too much of the other elements. i would try to cut some low/lowmid frequencies to make room for the other instruments.

from around minute 1.oo it gets balanced, but there should be room to make it groove some more.
maybe by boosting instruments dynamically. not so much louder, more like breathing forward and backwards in dynamics, more vibrant.

otherwise nice mix, shouldn't be too complicated to get it right.
how is your listening room? can you you judge low/lowmid frequencies or does the room influence it too much?

just my two cents after a quick listen,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 am

thanks for taking a few moments, mathias. all comments are appreciated.

i did put a hpf (shelf at about 500Hz if i recall correctly) on those arp synths, but i think the old timer on the 2 buss may have bumped the low mids a bit. i'll try adjusting them again and adjusting the 2 buss compression a bit.

i'm not sure what you mean by "breathing forward and backward" in the solo section. should there be more compression or less? i'm always nervous about over-compressing. perhaps the old timer is not a good choice. i would love to use nothing but nebula when i mix. i recall trying to use the dme 1968 instead of the old timer at one point, but i felt the old timer just sounded better on this track. maybe i'll try the dme again and see what you think. ;)

thanks again!
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWANG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:16 pm

update: i took your advice and dipped the low mids (right around 500Hz). here's the revised mix:

http://soundcloud.com/swang77/marcel-my-friend-mix-2/s-LcmVx

i think it is definitely better. less muddy. i wonder if i overcompensated though. thoughts?
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWANG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:00 pm

note: there are some weird artifacts i noticed in the soundcloud upload. sounds almost like a "rumbling" in the lower midrange. bear in mind, soundcloud added these artifacts as they do not appear on the wav file or in the multitrack. strange that soundcloud would do that, but ah well. here's the link to the new mix:

http://soundcloud.com/swang77/marcel-my-friend-1/s-fStM3
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby mathias » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 am

hi,
i am not in the studio right now and can not hear it in adequate conditions to judge anything.
what i meant with breathing forward and backward is compressing individual instruments, to bring them to life some more.
maybe enhance some transients or let instruments sustain some more.
this should work in a way, that the groove you want is accentuated.
sometimes harmonic distortion with nebula can bring you there.
i would try to use good compressorplugins (non nebula) together with some preamp or console programs from nebula.

best,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Return to Songs/Tracks