Login

Something Different...

Your songs!

Something Different...

Postby richie43 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:48 am

Ok. So I do many styles/genres of music. I love experimental rock. I studied jazz guitar, orchestration, and arranging. I spent 15 years playing contemporary West African music and reggae. I grew up with old-school punk/hard-core. I've played guitar in a live hip-hop act with a turntableist. I love all music. This tune is an acoustic, cyclical, almost meditative tune I tracked almost a year ago. The parts themselves are simple, but they work in different time signatures (but same tempo) so the juxtaposing and their relationship to each other shift. It is deceptively complex. The percussion was done by a collaborator friend of mine based in Australia, we work together via Dropboxing large project files. I decided to take the raw tracks and reprocess them with some awesome Nebula libraries I have been getting to know lately.
The anchor, or base of the processes is Globe console from CDSM. That console doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of Alex B's consoles, but it is a very very beautiful console emu. Of course, everything got a dose of R2R and TB+ before the real mixing begins. I do all of that an easy way by batch processing in Reaper if I want to use common settings, or do a few separate batches. This song really wanted the cohesion of sharing some presets, it glued everything nicely.
For eq's, I used many. CDSM- the new Q8 (very cool one!), GEQ, Cooltec, Nice EQ, and a touch of Tube Bender in some spots. i think I used a little Pooltec and Preamp Color Suite from Alex B. And for my pseudo mastering (I don't claim to be an expert at that, I have great ears with experience but no real-world mastering experience) I used Alex B's German Mastering Console and the newer Modern White Dynamics compressor. I used my newest favorite non-Nebula verb in quite a few places. It's called Valhalla Room. This thing has replaced almost all of my verbs. The Brian Eno-ish stuff is from Valhalla Shimmer, by the same dev. They are both stupidly inexpensive and top quality. Check them out and support them. They are cool like Acustica Audio and Cockos (Reaper). Very very awesome business models....
These Nebula libraries are amazing, and the Nebula technology is very exciting for me, after years and years of analog audio. My ears have never been so happy with digital audio. I hope you enjoy the song, let me know.
Attachments
Dreams.mp3
(11.08 MiB) Downloaded 298 times
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Something Different...

Postby richie43 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:50 am

Before I forget, other than the percussion, all of the other tracks are acoustic guitars. No keys, synths, or digitally generated sounds. Cheers!
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby elam » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Beautiful piece of music Richie.Plus it match perfectly with my morning mood (and my musical taste).

It's deep... I have to re-listen to it later to grab all the subtleties.It's seems simple but it's highly complex.You need a wide and good musical culture to achieve this.

I Like it.(and people around me too visibly,they're all ask me "what is it,that sounds nice ?").Good job my man.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks Elam. That song came from "another place", if you want to get all spiritual about it. And as I said, this whole Nebula thing has really opened up my analog ears to the possibilities of digital audio now. I am completely ITB, and a few of my studio owner friends (who have consoles, preamps, comps, etc) have been floored by my ITB sound and have even accused me of lying about not owning any big hardware. Yay! Thanks again for the comments, and mostly, I am glad that you can get some enjoyment from my music. Cheers!
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cpwade » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 am

I loved it too. Thank you for sharing. I suspect the both of you are Pat Methaney, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour fans..
cpwade

Postby richie43 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:54 am

cpwade wrote:I loved it too. Thank you for sharing. I suspect the both of you are Pat Methaney, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour fans..

Thanks. yes, I like all 3 of those guys. But I also like Dr Know, Greg Ginn, Fred Frith, John Coltrane, Mark Knopfler, Billy McLaughlin.....
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby steve36 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:06 pm

Very nice Richie :D

Steve
steve36
User Level II
User Level II