Login

my tracks, have a listen...

Your songs!

Re: my tracks, have a listen...

Postby cpwade » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Agreed. Thus the old rule in production, if one wears too many hats,
the decisions may not always be in the best interest of the material.

paul

PS- Great learning experience and for that I am grateful.

I am migrating my laptop setup to my main studio machines now after a month on neb and OSX 10.7.

Two big changes, I will move back to Protools (my original work flow)
and seek therapy for my recent plug-in abuse.
cpwade

Postby joshnur » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 am

I've had tons of trouble getting Pro Tools to work in a reliable manner on Mac OS X myself. It's a pain (I have PT M-Powered 8.0.5). I managed to improve things by deleting the PT preferences. Also, having a new account helps.
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby cpwade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:19 am

Hi joshnur,

I write and arrange in Logic and always have (past 10 years)
I track and mix in PT, at least until I discovered nebula.
Then, I had to reinvent my workflow and stayed in logic for the whole path. I discovered that during my workflow change to logic inclusive (driven by the massive changes nebula brought) that my mixes suddenly sucked. When I had outside (YR) consultation on my "new" mixes, I went back and compared to my old PT mixes. They were better and cleaner. Is it summing? Naw, it's me. Not sure why, my tracks still sound 100x better with neb treatments, tapes, eq and consoles regardless of daw (and I admit that I tried to use every library a little bit and over did it)

PS-
I do have the preference reset script for PT. Been on PT for 15 years works great for me (I still have a 001 plus others in the closet), keep the system lean and all. I have hardware so I went back to 8.5 on lion, works great.

To distill:
When I mix in logic- muddy smeary mess. PT clean and opened. I think it's the way I hear. Do what works.. Still prefer logic for writing and never has the OS been in the way. Sure hope I can RTAS wrap the new 64 bit coming down the pipe.
cpwade

Postby joshnur » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Pro Tools was audibly better at audio the first time I saw it, no doubt about that. Most probably the internal 48-bit processing helps and I've tested lots of DAW software on different platforms. Heard great things about Reaper recently.
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby richie43 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Not to hijack a thread, but in response to the last post.... not another "DAW 1 sounds better than DAW 2" thing, please. The only real difference these days is the configurations in regards to gain, pan law, etc. But I think that the basic math, which is what really makes up the audio engine, is the same. Of course your converter and hardware makes a difference too, but if you had Reaper and Protools set up with identical configs, plugins, hardware, etc, I bet the only audio differences would have more to do with how your brain is working (GUI influence, bias, etc). try a blind test. Anyway, Reaper is the s@#t, for real. Customizable, powerful, adaptable, affordable, friendly, and has the coolest and most helpful forum, similar to this one. Free uncrippled evaluation, so give it a go. About a tiny 6mb download, launches before you can even stand up to go get coffee! Oh yeah, 64bit internal processing, super frequent updates, good plugins included, works with virtually any plugin and hardware. Me, a fan-boy...? Naw, just liberated audio guy with enough spare cash after DAW purchase to get some mics or other toys (like more Nebula libraries!!). Cheers.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:35 am

joshnur wrote:Pro Tools was audibly better at audio the first time I saw it, no doubt about that. Most probably the internal 48-bit processing helps and I've tested lots of DAW software on different platforms. Heard great things about Reaper recently.

Reaper- As have I. Really great comments abound. I shudder the thought of learning a new DAW right now.

Protools, you called it Joshnur. I used 5 through 8 for the longest, now reinstalled with the fancy new 9, it's pitching a fit. Yikes, good old protools. :) Sure sounds nice though, new engine, new code.
cpwade

Postby cpwade » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 am

richie43, my take is that neither DAW "sounds" better, but my mixes do. As I stated above, it's me. I simply mix better in the PT. Now that said, trying to write and sequence outside of Logic, it's the same, not as fluid. Best tools for the situation. Your milage may vary. :ugeek:

Just to be outlandish, I do believe that Logic sums a bit heavy on the low mid. And also, (I don't own this) Nuendo has the best summing hands down. :P

Please don't get me started on Reaper. It's sitting in my download que.
Please don't make me install it, please.... I really just want to get back to writing. :mrgreen:
cpwade

Previous

Return to Songs/Tracks