Login

my tracks, have a listen...

Your songs!

Re: my tracks, have a listen...

Postby cpwade » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:36 am

He's right that all of my material could benefit from a louder capture.
As noted in my gear list, I have consumer quality converters. Didgidesign Mbox and 001 are not much better than a sound blaster card.
cpwade

Postby cpwade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:05 am

So, eh.. the back and fourth with YR (trained engineer in acoustical sciences) vs the musician whom uses "intuition" to mix, he just did a quick remix of my raw tracks and slaughtered me. I'm going to be quiet now about my ideals. It was a wonderful learning experience.

It's good to get owned from time to time.
cpwade

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:27 am

Do we get to hear this said remix? We could all use the learning experience.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby yr » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:31 am

richie43 wrote:Do we get to hear this said remix? We could all use the learning experience.

naa -I mix mostly classical music, so I did it for fun/learning. But I have to say I don't get the split between science and art- what we do as engineers involves both.

Anyways, since everyone is sharing I'm going to make a tiny hijack. Below a link to an old (just for fun) project . I'm the one playing the pipe organ (with my wife). Sound recorded by the camera unfortunately:

http://vimeo.com/5293399

Sorry Paul, back to toppic :mrgreen:
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:31 pm

yr wrote:But I have to say I don't get the split between science and art- what we do as engineers involves both.

Absolutely. I think that, unfortunately, many people who are more versed in either one or the other tend to feel that the other side is overly emphasized. The purely inspired artist with little to no technical audio science experience feel like the engineer folk over think think things, while the very technically gifted but less "intuitive" or creative artist feel that many artists are "too flakey" or rely too heavily on emotion or feeling. A healthy blend is ideal, in my opinion.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cpwade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Awesome! Love the link.

No disconnect with art and science, my captures were solid as are the arrangements. I was referring to the musician attitude "Dude! That was perfect!" (humor)
Remembering back in the day "that take was awesome! Why the redo?
"well Paul, see that live overhead? You knocked your guitar into it about three times"..

I just smeared the frequency content to an embarrassing level. In this exercise, I came to understand that going back to the raw tracks from time to time (progressively earlier session versions) keeps one from over processing. Your ears can fool you as you adjust to the changes you make along the way, your ears, once adjusted, think it sounds "better".

Case in point: Less is more, always A/B, don't mix with cans.
Buy a pop screen and better converters.

Sharing is caring, I'll repost once things progress.
After hearing the remix, my first exercise was to mute all the plug-ins to make sure the processing was constructive/beneficial to the song and not just fun.

Paul
cpwade

Postby cpwade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:14 pm

I've put Blurred Principals and 122112 YR remixes up here:

http://soundcloud.com/paulwade/122112-yr-remix

http://soundcloud.com/paulwade/blurred- ... s-yr-remix

The most revealing way to approach this is to pull down the original and the remix, then load them side by side. This will sound counterintuitive, but the revisions are louder yet less dense.

Have fun! I'm off to work.

pw
cpwade

Postby richie43 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Very cool pipe/steam organ piece. I have a composition/arrangement/orchestration degree, and I spent my senior year doing experimental pieces (in the '80's) for grades!! I graduated with honors for doing bizarre and complex music! How cool is that?
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cpwade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:16 pm

richie43 wrote:Very cool pipe/steam organ piece. I have a composition/arrangement/orchestration degree, and I spent my senior year doing experimental pieces (in the '80's) for grades!! I graduated with honors for doing bizarre and complex music! How cool is that?

I think that is quite wonderful. I have no formal training unfortunatly, but I have fun.
cpwade

Postby joshnur » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:31 am

It was very interesting to hear yr's renditions - very musical indeed. It's always nice to have an alternate but musical pair of ears re-working or working your own tracks.
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to Songs/Tracks