Login

Sample Rate Discussion (off of AITB Germanos EQ Thread)

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: Sample Rate Discussion (off of AITB Germanos EQ Thread)

Postby fuseburn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:08 pm

tumburu wrote:And no, computers are not powerful enough for mixing with Nebula at 96 (mac pro 8 core here too).

Hence Nebula Server. And freezing :D.
Never claimed it would work in realtime
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby tumburu » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:19 pm

fuseburn wrote:
tumburu wrote:And no, computers are not powerful enough for mixing with Nebula at 96 (mac pro 8 core here too).

Hence Nebula Server. And freezing :D.
Never claimed it would work in realtime

I have the 8 core exactly for working in real time. Others did that too. That's the computers we have nowadays. Freeze is something I use only on tracks the producer won't ask me to modify all the time and only to leave some headroom. I prefer to master at 96 and mix at 44.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:33 pm

futur2 wrote:i think there should be a better SCR alorithm implemented in nebula. even if the loading times are longer. or a choice between a fast/better and a slow conversion. i always thought nebula is always aiming for the best!?

I don't think you want to wait 10 minutes each time you load your project. And I would prefer a native library than a converted one. Sampling rate conversion in nebula is VERY good. I repeat, i didn't compare it with r8brian, I have dont know if it would solve the issue. Implementing something better and enough fast would be time consuming for me, so it's out of discussion.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby futur2 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:49 pm

giancarlo wrote:
futur2 wrote:i think there should be a better SCR alorithm implemented in nebula. even if the loading times are longer. or a choice between a fast/better and a slow conversion. i always thought nebula is always aiming for the best!?

I don't think you want to wait 10 minutes each time you load your project. And I would prefer a native library than a converted one. Sampling rate conversion in nebula is VERY good. I repeat, i didn't compare it with r8brian, I have dont know if it would solve the issue. Implementing something better and enough fast would be time consuming for me, so it's out of discussion.

ok, what's then with my other proposal? :mrgreen:
whether it sounds better or not, at least there's no conversion time involved.

quoting my post before: "the other thing is that there should be a simple way (nat or external) to permanently convert your 96khz libraries to 44.1/48. i know that some people tried this on their own and failed with lots of libraries. whatever the reason is? if not possible otherwise this permanent conversion should be provided by the library manufacturers."
futur2

Postby giancarlo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:39 pm

mainly bugs
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby AlexB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:41 pm

In this moment I'm very busy and I haven't time to read all now, but:

- you can't change the physics laws
- I know how Katz works, his production and his knowledge so I don't permit to me to call he "an author" as I wouldn't call Alan Parsons an "comic actor" since I have seen his video tutorial... I am not better than them and a little respect is the base of the life...
- I haven't hear nothing wrong in the Nebula SRC, maybe I have broken ears...
- I still produce at 96kHz... Oh yes, 44.1kHz is more easy, quick and it needs less power and ram, but I prefer sound quality, like I have written in the my previous post.

I'll return back in the next days with visual and audio examples. :mrgreen:

Note: you can do / work / use what you prefer, it's your life 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby highvoltage » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:48 pm

tumburu wrote:The only inconvenience to me when working with 96k libraries is the loading time. They do sound on a par with the ones sampled at 44, never noticed any kind of degradation.

exactly.

and its really annoying when you load up a project and it starts up for 1 minutes.
I converted all the libraries to 48khz that i could, but still some of them can't convert.
highvoltage

Postby futur2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:27 am

AlexB wrote:- I haven't hear nothing wrong in the Nebula SRC, maybe I have broken ears...

care to comment niklas (analoginthebox) post in this thread? ;)

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
futur2

Postby scooter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 pm

What about using a 44.1khz library at 48khz?
That's what I find myself using the AITB stuff at.
Am I at a disadvantage by using AITB libraries this way?

Thanks!
-Scott
scooter

Postby AlexB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Ok, some visual and acoustical examples to understand how things happen in real world 8-)

For the test I have used a piece of the song processed with the new GMC eQ: +2dB 60Hz / +2dB 10kHz.
Yes, I have recapped the hardware with the best caps available and the new release will coming soon as free upgrade.

First: listen!
Audio 44.1kHz processed with Nebula program sampled at 44.1kHz

Audio 44.1kHz processed with Nebula program sampled at 96kHz

Audio 96kHz processed with Nebula program sampled at 44.1kHz

Audio 96kHz processed with Nebula program sampled at 96kHz

Using Nebula in down/up sampling doesn't need so much power as many people would think... 8-)

To my broken ears Nebula program sampled at 96kHz sounds better always. More open and deep soundstage, more dynamics and "air".

Second: watch!
If your ears aren't so broken as mine, or you haven't a good room, monitoring system, DAC and so... Use your eyes :mrgreen:

Comparison between audio at 96kHz and the same processed by Nebula program sampled at 96kHz... You save all spectrum frequency and the sense of air.

Comparison between audio original at 96kHz and the same processed by Nebula program sampled at 44.1kHz. You cut, castrate the sound !

Sample rate in Nebula is very, very good! I have done blind test with r8brain, izotope and Saracon. Giancarlo has done a great work ! ;)

Finally, a sine sampled at 44.1kHz and 96kHz. In a world: RESOLUTION !

Now everybody can choose with personal taste BUT you can't beat the law of physics. I won't return on this topic.... I'm busy to sample at 44.1kHz now :lol:

Cheers

Alex
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other things