Login

Sample Rate Discussion (off of AITB Germanos EQ Thread)

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: Sample Rate Discussion (off of AITB Germanos EQ Thread)

Postby mathias » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 pm

i extended my test from above:

the same mixes, but now with two additional nebulaprograms on every track and two on the masterbus, to hear if subsequent programs make a hearable difference (it is eq's, tapes, tubestages, consoles).
so now we have all in all three nebulas on tracks downsampled to 48 khz in one mix and in original 96 khz in the other mix. they go into two nebulas on the masterbuss.

here you go:

48 khz 32 bit float mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9435398/Nebula- ... -chain.wav

48 khz 32 bit float down to CD-Quality:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9435398/Nebula- ... uality.wav

96 khz 32 bit float mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9435398/Nebula- ... -chain.wav

96 khz 32 bit float down to CD-Quality:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9435398/Nebula- ... uality.wav

as i said before, if i could stay with 96 khz, i would prefer that one. it has a little more energy and definition in the highfrequency range and i like that. 48 khz sounds a little weak in comparison.
in cd-quality i don't hear much of a difference.

another thing is, i think i would mix differently when i worked entirely in 96 khz, so this is not reflected in this comparison.

have fun hearing,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby fuseburn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:47 am

mathias, thanks for this test !
I compared both versions (first and additional chains) and I feel confirmed in my findings. 96k is the winner for me. Reverb is glued to the guitars, but still with room to breathe - most depth, if you will. Not much difference between 96k-44.1k, 48k-44.1k and 44.1k versions. If you WANT to hear it, you can find a few remnants of that airy feel in the 96k-44.1k version, but it's basically gone.
I've heard downsampling algorithms which can preserve a significant bit more of that feel @ 44.1k - what did you use for the final downsampling ?

So for me that means, working @96k with a target samplerate of 44.1k only makes sense if you've got the best SR conversion algorithm for downsampling available. If you never cared for downsampling quality - which I could perfectly understand - there's no need for you to work @96k.
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby iquinn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Is it possible to re-sample 96kHz libraries down to 44kHz with a better 3rd party SRC and create a new library?
iquinn
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mathias » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:39 pm

fuseburn wrote:mathias, thanks for this test !
I compared both versions (first and additional chains) and I feel confirmed in my findings. 96k is the winner for me. Reverb is glued to the guitars, but still with room to breathe - most depth, if you will. Not much difference between 96k-44.1k, 48k-44.1k and 44.1k versions. If you WANT to hear it, you can find a few remnants of that airy feel in the 96k-44.1k version, but it's basically gone.
I've heard downsampling algorithms which can preserve a significant bit more of that feel @ 44.1k - what did you use for the final downsampling ?

So for me that means, working @96k with a target samplerate of 44.1k only makes sense if you've got the best SR conversion algorithm for downsampling available. If you never cared for downsampling quality - which I could perfectly understand - there's no need for you to work @96k.

i have used the internal samplerate-converter of samplitude in the highest quality. it is quite good, but there are for sure better ones.
at the moment i will stay at my workflow, we will see what the future brings in storage media, that will be used on a broad basis.
i would only go up at the moment, if the product would be a hires-download for example.
maybe i change my mind, when i have a more potent machine, that can handle 96 khz in realtime.
to be prepared for future releases :)

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Other things