Login

New Tape emulation from UAD is here - Studer A800

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: New Tape emulation from UAD is here - Studer A800

Postby Plec » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:28 am

Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Barendse » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:32 am

Plec wrote:http://www.studionu.com/uadforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14505

R2R rules, uad Studer sounds a bit lifeless.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby scooter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:45 pm

In regards to the hardware chosen by UA
I have a 24 track 2" Studer A800 at my disposal, as well as an ATR 2 track machine.

The Studer A800 is a very clean sounding machine and doesn't necessarily give the same flavor that one would depict as a "tape" sound. My first experience with an A800 was after having 8 years of experience with the Otari MTR90 II, which has WAY more "color or influence on the source" than the Studer... WAY MORE (that's not necessarily good or bad, just different). The Studer was so clean in fact; it kind of reminded me of really "GOOD" digital, the first time I threw a reel on it.
I'm fairly certain UA's A800 EMU is better used on the individual tracks, rather than the two bus, which would also follow the nature of the real A800. So tests on stereo material seem almost destined to fail. Besides, the reality is or benefit is from the culmination of tracking to tape and not it's two bus "cure all" magic. So I suppose we need to work with the A800 more, before coming to any negative conclusions or unfair comparisons.

The ATR 2 track machine seems to give more of that "tape/album sound" flavor, so my guess is, we won't see a two bus tape EMU competitor until UA comes out with the Ampex machine EMU. I would expect the AMPEX machine to use an entire SHARC! ]:-{I

Just my 2 cents.
-Scott
scooter

Postby SWAN » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 am

There are some pretty serious results for Nebula in the UAD forums...gosh!
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Plec » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:30 am

Yeah, I'm really dumbfounded by the reactions at the UAD forum in terms of some of the examples I put up. Totally mesmerized by the reactions in the "drum shoot-out" thread. That's why the heat suddenly got quite a bit turned up there...

I agree with Scott that the material used for the blind-tests wasn't that great a decision since any type of "tape" effect made that mix sound worse, hahaha! :D
But in all excitement it was the best I had available.

I do feel that what most people find positive about the UAD Studer when they first apply it, is the EQ curve, and nothing more. To be blunt, when pushing the levels on that thing it sounds like ass on pretty much anything. Why? If a real Studer A800 does that very same thing, unable to dense the material even the slightest before ruining it... I don't see why it ever became so popular.

What I love about CDS R2R Studer is that it gels in a completely different way. As I said, I was trying to use the UAD Studer on a set of guitar tracks the other day and it made them just sound edgy and cold whereas what I was looking for was focused and warm, which the R2R library accomplishes perfectly.

When I listen to rock records I LOVE from the 80's and 90's, that's the sound of tape and great console character to me! The R2R and Alex B programs bring me closer to that experience than I ever thought possible while the UAD Studer and Slate VCC pretty much does the opposite. :?

Even though I haven't used a real tape machine in my life, I still have THAT reference for what great tape sound is. The UAD Studer still sounds like it belongs in the digital domain and doesn't move you away from that.
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby giancarlo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:26 am

and the winner is... :D
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:16 pm

The R2R and Alex B programs bring me closer to that experience than I ever thought possible

To my ears and experience with hi-end hardware, the next step
would just be the hardware itself.
This is also the first time since 2008, that I'm waiting for the first
128core Mac Pro, but that's going to take a while...
All that's needed now is a dedicated plugin-interface for each library,
with choice of full kernel-length (rendering), and micro-kernels (mixing).
dpclarkson

Postby Plec » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:16 pm

dpclarkson wrote:All that's needed now is a dedicated plugin-interface for each library,
with choice of full kernel-length (rendering), and micro-kernels (mixing).

I'd buy that for a dollar! :D
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby SWAN » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:38 pm

so many shoot-outs....looks like the UAD Studer is the best thing to happen to Nebula R2R since VCC...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Plec » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:39 pm

I am actually trying to get a serious use for the UAD Studer here. We're doing a big shoot-out against the hardware and the plugin does fare very good against it I must say, but there are a few points where it does fall short.

When I'm just using it musically trying it out in mixes, most of what sounds good about it comes from the EQ calibration. When that is set to a more neutral position, you do have some tape compression left that has a gelling factor to it, but at the same time I think it sounds a bit fake.

I find myself preferring CDS R2R library most of the time still. In some way it has more "physics" to it although it sounds thinner than the UAD from the get-go due to the calibration.
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to Other things