Login

Thoughts on Nebula, Librairies, VCC, etc...

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Thoughts on Nebula, Librairies, VCC, etc...

Postby ericus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:02 am

Hi guys,

After reading the Steven Slate VCC post, I had the following thoughts:

1- When I describe Nebula and the 3rds devs party libraries to my friends, I'm always getting these comments: "Man, this sounds like Linux" like great power, really affordable or almost free (the Mammoth is a perfect example), a real friendly community and really smart developers and coders more interested in the concept and sharing than making a "quick buck".

2- While I'm a very satisfied Steven Slate Samples customer, I can't help but see that Mr. Slate is your typical LA guy while Giancarlo and the 3rd party guys are less agressive, more relax, more "cerebral".

3- The marketing approach used with VCC is close to the one used by Micro$oft for the launching of Win95 years ago...the OS started to be good when they launched XP years later...Anyone remembers Windows Millenium? :mrgreen:

4- The people that buy and use Nebula are not your "average customer", they are WAY more computer savy...for now, maybe Aqua plugs will help, we'll see...

5- Why did an expensive and somewhat buggy DAW like ProTools get to be "The Standard"? Anyone here remembers Opus, Spectral and Paris? Why...Clients? Producers? GUI? The name?

Just my humble thoughts...

Eric
ericus

Re: Thoughts on Nebula, Librairies, VCC, etc...

Postby ericus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 am

Just did a little editing to clarify some stuff and added the last point, I was about to go onstage 2 minutes after writing the post so.... :oops:
ericus

Postby giancarlo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:02 am

apple, google and microsoft are not aggressive. They are all celebral, no LA marketing. Developers of Navigator (web browser) were aggressive, and today you use explorer, mozilla, chrome and safari. ID software was not aggressive but romero. Who left and founded a different and unknown company. When people define nebula as linux-like they are perfectly right, but it's pretty obvious we are preparing something else for the future. When I'll pretty confident about the engine we'll more forward, in the meanwhile we are improving libraries and knowledge about vintage gear. At the moment I'm interested in the engine only. I want to see if I can get a fast console emulation, for example (it could be useful for games programming). Soon CPU load will not be a selling factor any more, because computers are faster and faster.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby hive » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:09 am

giancarlo wrote:Soon CPU load will not be a selling factor any more, because computers are faster and faster.

this probably isnt news to you but the only issue my computer has with Nebula is RAM/32 bit limitations and it's almost 3 years old.
hive
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby vicnestE » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:18 pm

hive wrote:
giancarlo wrote:Soon CPU load will not be a selling factor any more, because computers are faster and faster.

this probably isnt news to you but the only issue my computer has with Nebula is RAM/32 bit limitations and it's almost 3 years old.

Mine 4~5 years old pc could upgrade/expand memory, change to 64bit system. It still works. And it will be my renderer machine if I bought a new one.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to Other things