Login

Slate Digital VCC N**e emu soundz real Gooooood!!

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: Slate Digital VCC N**e emu soundz real Gooooood!!

Postby futur2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 pm

as much as i sympathize with nebula it's plain studpid not to see the potential of the slate plugins
futur2

Postby mordecainyc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:36 pm

No one is saying they do not have potential.

They will probably sound fantastic. But the concept seems kind of limited when you compare it to Nebula (is what I meant at least).
mordecainyc
User Level V
User Level V

Postby giancarlo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:42 pm

A lot of companies released insert saturation plugins, they are not the first ones on the market. The difference is that they started selling a "crosstalk technology" which we all know it's not possible if plugins don't communicate each with other ones (H******* maybe is the only developer who is doing that, because you should analyze channels individually BEFORE summing). You could just release it for stereo channels, or "assuming" all other channels are doing something specific which you don't know. There is an interaction between channels, and this COULD be the only difference between H******* and ALL other products in the market.
The effect could be good BUT no different from what other developers are doing (even chrisj).
They are posting examples, and you get a similar effect "following" those examples (don't get me wrong, but those samples could be generated using a real console, or the console samples could be generated using the plugin tuned to slighly different settings). I guess you could be impressed even listening amplitude in a rock mix just replicating it for all possible channel. So.. what?

First ones who introduced the rule "put this invisible effect on all possible channels and listen the difference" were guys acustica audio. THIS concept has the potential.
First guy to introduce the concept of mixbuss was alessandro boschi. You could say that slates are the first ones to emulate nebula capabilities using a standard dsp approach, even in such case you would be wrong: a saturation plug-in emulating this or that is very common in the audio market.

Don't get me wrong, MAYBE the product will sound good. Like many other products, for sure it's NOT new and if it will be successful THAT MARKETING will EMULATED quickly by all other developers (the product itself is not rocket science).
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby bottom1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

For you to say you NEVER trust demos is very ballsy yet disheartening statement!!!! All your other statements I agree with, Neb/Nat is/was ahead of it time... I think Nebula is an incredible product, and so are the 3rd Party libraries...

Your product remains relevant because of 3rd Party Developers, their Demo's and Past Performance, and Acustica's commitment to further developing and updating.

CPU Load or not... We got use to living with that, by sticking with Nebula... Nebula offers way more flexibility than the VCC ever will... and Alexb and CDS consoles offer way more colors, mojo and configurations (EQ's, filters etc)... BUT... 6 Console Programs and Buss options for 250-300 bucks... is a great option... Plus I'm sure the program will be nowhere near the 5-6gig's to download...

AlexB and CDS kick serious ass... and I will always support them, and be a valued customer... but I will blindly purchase Slate Digitals products, based off SSD, his background, Fabrice, Trigger and FX-G (esp based of the FX-G's results)... just like I do Alex & Michaels... And I will more than likely purchase Sound Toys new offerings when they come out (based off their Native bundle, minus decap)...

I MYSELF NEVER PURCHASE BASED OFF DEMO's... But for a software developer to take that stance, is kinda scary! Nebs 3rd party developers constant commitment and knowledge is why I continue... Slate seems to be the same.

Seriously... CPU Load is a concern... But I updated my Computer, to deal with Neb and Alexb in the first place... I highly doubt people will do the same because of Slate...

Plus Slates demos is running 22 instances and 1 Buss program... thats pretty nuts...
bottom1
User Level V
User Level V

Postby giancarlo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:03 pm

22 instances and 1 bus is possible even today using an i7. Don't forget those libraries are tuned to crazy kernel values, I doubt guys would hear the difference in a mix if you reduce H2.. to 10 mseconds, in such case you can (I tested it, I have an i7 notebook right now).

I think you should "test" a product before buying. This is a golden rule. Apple is a company which created amazing things, I trust them, but I suggest to try their iphone 4 (unless you really want a plastic cover on it).
For this reason almost all developers are releasing "free" version of their products. Again, maybe the product will sound good, fabrice is an experienced developer and so on, I understand your point.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby highvoltage » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:14 pm

loool, someone mentioned nebula on that thread and everyone jumped on it. WHAT THE * is with those guys?

are they threatened or what?
highvoltage

Postby RJHollins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 pm

hmmm .... "crosstalk technology". :roll:

Are we sure that this is a desired attribute :?:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby tumburu » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:02 pm

giancarlo wrote:They are raising the bar of hype too much imho, because if every developer would behave in that way ("we nailed it!", "omg, it sounds awesome!" "I can't believe that!", sic, I know, they will be emulated by other developers soon) there would be so much noise around till complete chaos, you would not trust developers any more.

Completely agree on that.

I think us, europeans, can observe these aspects, in USA this exaggerate competitive behavior is some kind of "normal". For me it is an unprofessional and off putting attitude. Sadly once they go this route they will never admit the inevitable flaws in their products and will have to feed the hype in this ridiculous way.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:27 pm

tumburu wrote:

Completely agree on that.

I think us, europeans, can observe these aspects, in USA this exaggerate competitive behavior is some kind of "normal". For me it is an unprofessional and off putting attitude. Sadly once they go this route they will never admit the inevitable flaws in their products and will have to feed the hype in this ridiculous way.

Time will fix things. When their product will be ready, someone will process stems with this plug, nebula, and consoles so fair comparisons will be available. Someone will analyze it, like every other product of the market (aliasing, dynamic harmonic distortion and time plot of harmonics, dynamic frequency response and so on).
If the product will be ready, everyone will be happy, because it will force other developers to improve. I'll move to impossible developments if it's good.

But at the moment everything is just speculation.
And now, back to work.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby HIFIDELITY » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:36 pm

giancarlo wrote:I never trust audio demos. You don't know what was done on console, what just using plugins and nobody will never check that in the future, cause the lacking of original stems. Wait for their release, than you could process your stems on both platforms and check results. I guess you'll get surprises. If you like them so much, you could sample vcc using nat, I'll guess those programs could be optimized and the cpu load of the result not so different (for example if their kernels are short or few, you could make them short on nebula and save a lot of cpu cycles). So only time will tell you what's best.

All I know, we are doing the same things are developers are doing (eq, pre, tapes, consoles, saturation emulations), and people checks plugins and nebula and at the end nebula sounds always better. It's a matter of technique....

Last thing, we'll model true dynamic crosstalk (not the one claimed by slate, which was accomplished by alessandro boschi time ago). At the end, their plugin is what we provided for free with "analog channel" in january 2007 and developed by us in 2006 (!!!!!). Even CPU load of analog channel is not so high, the difference between alessandro boschi emulations and analog channel is only a matter of quality, and you can't check quality just running a rock mix. Last thing, I guess we could invade gearslutz with thousands of threads with demos of comparison between emulations and real gear, and I'm sure nobody will distinguish them, because the same equipment using for sampling would be used for making the demo (same converters, for example, and you could match best cases for example). We are not for that, we are not for shouting. There is a working demo, we didn't announce anything, if you are curious you could test by yourself, which I think is fair. And no, our software is not claimed as hardware replacement, this would damage hardware companies and would be a steal of THEIR work, especially if you are not affiliated.

Last thing. With nebula you don't have JUST 6 consoles. You have them, their equalisers, thousands of different colors. And nebula costs 20 eur (nebula2 commercial). And cpu load is never an issue if you use nrgui (renderer). There are tons of free presets, their quality is excellent. Otherwise even the stock eq of cubase could do the trick.

Time will tell you who's right.

G i was NOT comparing Nebula and VCC which i clearly stated in my post! There isnt much to compare, Nebula=Real Deal VCC=Modeled on the Real Deal! I was simply saying that IF the demos are true and NOT rigged this COULD BE a breakthrough in Coded plugin emulation and wanted to get other peoples opinions.But i do agree with what you say,especially regarding CrossTalk! What i would like to see is yourself,alex and micheal return to GS! because to be honest iv had enough of the way people get bashed down when they stand up for nebula,its technology and third party developers! and if they are prepared to take a bashing! i really think you should be behind them! Look how chris stands up for his products and has been getting a real hard time latley! So i would really love for yourself,Alex and Micheal to join the VCC thread,with the knowledge you three have between you i really dont think Slate Digital could get away with half the stuff they say! Just my 2cent so please dont bash me down :D
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

PreviousNext

Return to Other things