Login

Kemper profiling amp

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Kemper profiling amp

Postby Unicorn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 am

This unit is out now and samples complete guitar amp --> cabinet --> microphone chains.
How did they manage to sample such a heavy distortion? I thought it would need a hell lot of Kernels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnd9lj_ECho

In the video you can see the Kemper profiling by sending strange signals through the chain.
Then you can hear an A/B comparision with the real chain
Unicorn
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Kemper profiling amp

Postby ericus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Wow! Pretty impressive!

Here's another link where the guy explains the unit a bit more :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDhwM0s03I
Last edited by ericus on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericus

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:50 pm

That is really interesting stuff. Think about how cool that could be if other people with cool amps let you profile their amps.... then it's not even just taking your sounds on the road, but having access to zillions of boutique amps. Wow. It's interesting that it's not nearly as pricey as I had expected ($1800-ish on Sweetwater).
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Unicorn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 am

There are some more information in their FAQ.
So its a different sampling that the one Nebula offers.

"Initially, we focussed our attention on existing and well-documented techniques, most of which fall under the heading “Dynamic Convolution”. Even though these approaches seemed very promising at first glance, and certainly useful for recreating simple, soft distortion circuits, they were by no means adequate for complex guitar amplifiers with heavy distortion. Reality has shown that no other company has managed to create a profiling amp by these methods so far.

Other well-known modeling methods, such as a distortion devices framed by a pre- and post-equalizer, have been used in modeling amps of the first generation. They deliver reasonable results, but the sound still lacks complexity, depth and feel; furthermore, these methods don’t qualify for an automated profiling procedure."
Unicorn
User Level II
User Level II

Postby farjedi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I been following this on gearslutz and some of the user profiles I've heard have been completely convincing to my ear. The thing comes loaded with about 200 presets and there is an ever growing amount of user profiles. The capturing process seems quite simple, just a test tone and then some refining by playing your guitar. God knows what manner of witchcraft is in those tones to capture hi distortion, pretty genius. I definitely want one when I can get the money together.
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Vernon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:13 pm

I got it...
Really powerful, intuitive, light and sounds credible/close.
Improvements are running release after release and firmware is in way of stabilization.
Anyway, a very good machine!

Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby DavidMeShow » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the infos right here ! I'm really amazed by everything that I saw on Youtube... guess what ? I ordered mine today for 1600$ CAD in Québec Canada. Lot of fun coming soon ! :D

Thanks !
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Other things