Login

PSP VintageWarmer 2

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

PSP VintageWarmer 2

Postby LeVzi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:41 am

I know a lot of people swear by this for adding some analogue warmth to their mixes, but what would be the Nebula equivalent ?

I guess it's modelled after a compressor, but I've no clue which one.
LeVzi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: PSP VintageWarmer 2

Postby biomuse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:08 am

VW2 was one of the first dynamics + saturator plugs and is more like a tube tape machine input stage paired with a compressor/limiter than it is like anything else. It was not modeled on anything in particular and I don't think there's any Nebula "equivalent" per se, since the VW2 is not a subtle beast and is capable of very heavy dynamic squashing/crushing as well as brickwall limiting; in general those are not Nebula's strong suit.

The saturation stage in VW2 could generally be described as tube/tapey. So Nebula versions of that aspect of it might include, just by way of example, CDSM's R2R+Tapebooster, Vintage Tubes, Tube Bender, etc. stuff along those lines. But I would say that most of the Nebula repertoire is capable of warming up signal in similar or even more useful, if not as smashingly obvious ways as VW2; no point in getting hung up on VW2. Things have come a very long way since then, and Nebula offers a whole universe of subtlety and diversity in coloration that didn't exist in plugin form when VW2 came out.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby LeVzi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:16 pm

biomuse wrote:VW2 was one of the first dynamics + saturator plugs and is more like a tube tape machine input stage paired with a compressor/limiter than it is like anything else. It was not modeled on anything in particular and I don't think there's any Nebula "equivalent" per se, since the VW2 is not a subtle beast and is capable of very heavy dynamic squashing/crushing as well as brickwall limiting; in general those are not Nebula's strong suit.

The saturation stage in VW2 could generally be described as tube/tapey. So Nebula versions of that aspect of it might include, just by way of example, CDSM's R2R+Tapebooster, Vintage Tubes, Tube Bender, etc. stuff along those lines. But I would say that most of the Nebula repertoire is capable of warming up signal in similar or even more useful, if not as smashingly obvious ways as VW2; no point in getting hung up on VW2. Things have come a very long way since then, and Nebula offers a whole universe of subtlety and diversity in coloration that didn't exist in plugin form when VW2 came out.

Thanks for that reply, explains a lot tbh. I feel that VW2 has a kind of "Aura" around it, as it definately add's something that is just deemed Analogue in nature . I've had advice from people saying "Yeah just add VM2 to your kicks" so it's a case of thanks but why lol I think people use it but aren't 100% sure why.
LeVzi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby biomuse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:44 pm

LeVzi wrote:Thanks for that reply, explains a lot tbh. I feel that VW2 has a kind of "Aura" around it, as it definately add's something that is just deemed Analogue in nature . I've had advice from people saying "Yeah just add VM2 to your kicks" so it's a case of thanks but why lol I think people use it but aren't 100% sure why.

"Add VM2 to your kicks" isn't necessarily bad advice, since VM2 is a very beefy sounding compressor/limiter in addition to saturator. There are two things going on in VM2 that need to be distinguished: the dynamics action and the saturation. As you've probably read in this forum, Nebula is not good at catching huge transients and crushing them; if you want to absolutely flatten a huge kick to an analoguey "splat" or otherwise tightly control its transients, Nebula is not the tool I would use for that; that's all about fast dynamics, specifically, limiting or very fast compression. Nebula is about dynamic saturation coloring a sustained signal, not about transients.

I'm not dissing VM2; it's a great plug and very useful. It's just that there are other compressor/limiter plugs that can do the dynamics job just as well if not better now, and some of the newer ones also do the dynamic saturation/coloration thing. VM2 was just an early example of that.

Nebula and VM2 really are two very different kinds of tools, even as far as saturation: Nebula is a rack full of fine herbs and spices, VM2 is friggin' Tabasco sauce. Both have uses.

You can get a VM2-like effect if you combine a fast compressor or limiter with a saturator, and you can color that to taste with Nebula.
Last edited by biomuse on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:47 pm

biomuse wrote: Nebula is a rack full of fine herbs and spices, VM2 is friggin' Tabasco sauce. Both have uses.

That sums it up beautifully!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby LeVzi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Agreed that is a pretty good way of summing it up.

Thanks for the advice though, I see exactly what you are saying, and it kinda sorts out what I was looking for. I think I am in a position already with good compressors it's just finding that nice stuff to go with it, and as you mentioned, it exists for Nebula already :)
LeVzi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Gemini Audio » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 am

You may want to try Gemini Audio's KultComp Tube Library for the saturation part, which is capable of adding a lot of Tube Harmonics, in combination with CDsoundmaster's TapeBooster or VTM-M2 or one of the Tape programs or all of them together. VM2 can do very heavy distortion within one plugin, but with Nebula you will get way more authentic results.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Other things