Login

(User's Recommendation) Computer System to work v Neb/Acqua

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: (Recommendation) Computer System to work with Neb/Acqua

Postby SoundForSoul » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 pm

For those wondering on PC vs Hackie Acqua CPU performance, I have just finished some tests, and the PC won by having 25-30% better performance than Hackie, on the very same configuration.

So here's what I did to compare Yosemite10.10.2 Hackie Os vs Win 10 pro 64 bit acqua cpu handling on my build (5960x -8cores,16threads - watercooled OCed @4.2Ghz, 16GB Ram(will add some more, since the free ram was only about 3-4Gb after adding all the acquas), Gtx970 GPU, 1200i Corsair, Asus Deluxe X99 mobo, Cubase Pro 8.5.30, NI Komplete 6 @192 buffer.
On pc I have installed the trials (didn't want to loose the license slots only for a test), on Hackie the licensed ones - all of the plugins were with everything turned on (preamp, insane, all eqs, etc.). It was a 44.1 24 bit session with around 14 audio tracks routed on 7 groups. All the plugins were on group inserts, not on the tracks themselves, not on the master bus. Only acquas were used,not N4, since I tried to hit the cpu limit as fast as possible.

Started on Hackie first, hit the cpu limit, then reproduced the same session on PC. When the Hackie cubase session hit the cpu limit, on pc the cpu was about 75 %, so I can assume that PC handling of Acquas would be at least 25-30% better on pc.

The conclusion:
Hackie - no of instances
White2 - 7
Lime - 5
Ultramarine3 - 2
Diamond - 1
Titanium2 -5
Pink2412 - 1

Pc - no of instances
White2 - 7
Lime - 6
Ultramarine3 - 6
Diamond - 1
Titanium2 - 7
Pink2412 - 2

What's interesting is that when the cpu limit reached around 75 %, both on Hackie and on pc, if I inserted a white and a titanium2 on the Master Bus, the cpu reached the limit, but if I let the master bus back with no effects and added the white and titanium on some other group, the cpu spikes were around 90% - I assume that when it's about adding inserts on the master bus, there is a much higher cpu stress than adding the same effects on a group. This happens on Hackie in logic pro 10, too. I guess there is a single cpu core/thread that's assigned only for the master bus itself.
So, it's time to jump back on Win 10, I guess...
Also, I'd like to ask if someone have a xeon cpu, just to compare some things... I'd like to build a dual xeon E5 V4 workstation in the future and I'd like to know if I should rather go for a higher clock rather than cores number.
If other people are interested, we could make a benchmarking project in cubase elements (it has a 30 days trial available, both mac and pc) so that we could compare with different acqua instances, on different builds).
Official Dealer of Acustica Audio Products in Romania. Please contact me at contact@daw.ro for a direct presentantion of how AA products would fit your workflow. http://www.daw.ro/
SoundForSoul
User Level II
User Level II

Postby davidgary73 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks SoundForSoul for the comparison. Seem like AA plugs are more optimised for Windows than Mac.

I can only run 17 Diamond, 17 Sand EQ in Logic X and VE Pro 6 @ 1024 dsp buffer with Mac Pro 5.1, 2.4 GHz 2012, 28 GB Ram model :(
Last edited by davidgary73 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.3.1 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta3 • Green3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • N3 & N4 • Diamond • Ivory2 •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Postby SoundForSoul » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:50 am

Glad to help, I saw your topic, than I read G's benchmarks, and I started to gather up data, since I want to know what should be my next build, a 7700k one or a double xeon, or rather make a Vienna network, since I have around 3-4 pcs in my studio. (there some other users benchmarking in the forum - just search for the term "benchmark". I would be really interested if anyone managed to make a benchmark with with xeons.
Official Dealer of Acustica Audio Products in Romania. Please contact me at contact@daw.ro for a direct presentantion of how AA products would fit your workflow. http://www.daw.ro/
SoundForSoul
User Level II
User Level II

Postby davidgary73 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 am

SoundForSoul,

I have a noob question which i hope to find an answer to.

If build a 7700k as slave and network it to my Mac Pro, calling up Acqua plugs in the new PC would use the Mac CPU or PC CPU? Or best to use the PC as the main system and Mac Pro as slave?
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.3.1 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Postby SoundForSoul » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:09 am

I didn't experiment with Vienna yet, but definitely the whole purpose of this would be to have the cpu juice power handled by the new 7700k, in your case. I remember when trying this with Nebula 3 server edition around 2 years ago(having a second computer to handle the reverbs), but wasn't too satisified with the results at that time so switched to 5960x, since I didn't want any network hassle. I will try to make a network of my 5960x machine with a 6700hq laptop and see how it goes.
SoundForSoul
User Level II
User Level II

Postby jfjer379 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:37 pm

many thanks for sharing this useful info SoundForSoul
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory2 IAE-2 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3S • N4
jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Postby SoundForSoul » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Please take into account that I used like 7 Whites and 6 Titaniums, etc in the same session, so maybe it should be more relevant if I would have used only one plugin, like Lime, and then maybe it would be something like on Hackie I could have load 40 full instances (pres, insane, eqs) and on Win 10 it would have been around 60.
SoundForSoul
User Level II
User Level II

Postby davidgary73 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Added more infos from various users with system recommendation etc on first post.

Would be great if everyone here can chip in your system specs to help other build a PC to work with Neb/Acqua :)

Cheers
davidgary73
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Phelix wrote:
davidgary73 wrote:If anyone of you who has a powerful working comp that runs heaps of Neb/Acqua, please pen it here and i'm post it on the first post.

I perfectly understand your interest in building a wonder-machine for Nebula:) Hope you'll keep us updated on your choices and evaluations in contrast to your existing setup. Since we all have different conditions and requirements of our workflow, it is always interesting to hear opinions from various experiences.

When it comes to the choice of DAW, and from everything I’ve read, I’m pretty convinced there is limited efficiency from using audio units on macOS, also I assume this is quite challenging for AA. I believe AU/Logic in combination is a real culprit, not macOS in general. Although Reaper is super efficient as a tool, I have just about same performance across all my DAW using the vst format, and my recommendations is to choose a sequencer that handles multiple formats, not being tied up.

Going from 4th to 6th gen Intel made a tremendous difference here. The studio machine, an iMac5K (CTO) is able to run 6 fully engaged CORAL strips without glitches. The old 2010-Mac was already maxed out by less than two instances of coral, so I’m more than satisfied. For other reasons and various graphical work tasks, migrating my workflow to PC isn’t going to happen anytime soon, that's for sure!

RAM shortage was never the bottleneck here. Even with dozens (50+) of light-weight Acquas, the memory pressure hardly exceeds 7-8GB in total. Suggestions from AA about having more than 64GB RAM seems out of proportion to me, but maybe it is a general requirement in efficient PC systems, or perhaps part of future AA product strategy(?)

hubi123 wrote:I got a new hackintosh. Benchmark 44 k( twice my name ld 2013 Mac pro
12 core). And I can't get anywhere near 90 plugins.
It's a 10 core 4.3 GHz i7 128 GB RAM.

Just out of curiosity, how many fully engaged CORAL strips are you able to run with that monster configuration? :-) I believe coral is good for quick benchmark as it loads multiple nebulas, everything in HQ (insane) mode.

6 coral is KILLER. Each coral is composed by around 36 nebula plugins, so basically you are running 216 nebula inside, and many of them are really using the cpu quite a lot
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: (User's Recommendation) Computer System to work v Neb/Ac

Postby SoundForSoul » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Allrite, so here I am with the specs after 3 hours of benchmarking test to share with ya'll Acustica heads, as a celebration for the Gold release. Hackie Yosemite 10.10.2 vs Win 10 - I am reminding you the hardware - on my build (5960x -8cores,16threads - liquid cooled OCed @4.2Ghz, 16GB Ram(will add some more, since the free ram was only about 3-4Gb after adding all the acquas), Gtx970 GPU, 1200i Corsair, Asus Deluxe X99 mobo, Cubase Pro 8.5.30, NI Komplete 6 @512 buffer.
On pc I have installed the trials (didn't want to loose the license slots only for a test), on Hackie the licensed Coral and the Gold Strip trial - all of the plugins were with everything turned on (preamp, insane, all eqs, etc.). It was a 44.1 24 bit session with around 14 audio tracks routed on 7 groups. All the plugins were on group inserts, not on the tracks themselves, not on the master bus. On the previous test I got a 25-30% better performace on win running trials over hackie with licensed, but now , surprise-surprise, a consistent 20-25% better performace on hackie vs win 10 !!! which makes me think that I have done smth wrong in the past (will re-check). So here they are; GOLD strip trial, everything on - 24 instances on Hackie, 20 on Win, CORAL trial on win, licensed on mac- everything on - 13 instances on Hackie, 10 instances on win.
SoundForSoul
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to Other things