Login

Alternative for Nyrv Agent (Reaper)

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: Alternative for Nyrv Agent (Reaper)

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 am

rossharvey wrote:Gauges are great!

Glad you like them. :D Let me know of any improvements you can think of.

I'm thinking of adding font select - but not quite sure how that would work with sharing if the font was missing on different systems (not familiar with Mac fonts). Would be nice to customize the font though...

I also don't know how sharing will go if a font is not recognised on a graphic label as these are already in there. I'd like to think it just drops back to a default font.
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:29 am

rossharvey wrote:Good point! N4 user here.

Time to get hands dirty with this new version!

Regarding N3 and N4 with sharing. You could still import the layout and it should be pretty easy to reassign each instance of N3 with N4 and vice versa as I believe the automated parameters between N3 and N4 are the same - so you can probably just load up all the instances of N4 that you require (load the necessary libs into them) - then long click on the plugin name in FX PARAM edit mode will allow you to completely swap over the parameter assignments.

In theory... - I've not tested this yet.

Once you have it working you can resave the strip - and then share the version for N4 somewhere... :)
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby rossharvey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:57 am

lbhms wrote:
rossharvey wrote:Gauges are great!

Glad you like them. :D Let me know of any improvements you can think of.

I'm thinking of adding font select - but not quite sure how that would work with sharing if the font was missing on different systems (not familiar with Mac fonts). Would be nice to customize the font though...

I also don't know how sharing will go if a font is not recognised on a graphic label as these are already in there. I'd like to think it just drops back to a default font.

If you're able to fall back to default if a font isn't found then yes, that would be great.

On the gauges, and I realise I'm asking for the moon now - is it possible to have a peak reading that's permanent? Just a single red line or dot perhaps that indicates the highest volume that has passed through.
rossharvey
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:31 am

rossharvey wrote:If you're able to fall back to default if a font isn't found then yes, that would be great.

On the gauges, and I realise I'm asking for the moon now - is it possible to have a peak reading that's permanent? Just a single red line or dot perhaps that indicates the highest volume that has passed through.

Hmmm... Did you really mean a peak reading on the 'gauges'? If so - I'm assuming the gauge is applied to a peak meter?

Well - at the moment - the gauges are essentially static drawings placed onto the background layer which does not get updated unless the background is edited or track changed etc. Updating the background frequently would slow the script to a crawl and raise CPU through the roof. Yolu definitely would not like the results.

It *might* be possible to add something like this to a meter control itself though - but I've not thought about it enough yet to give a definite answer. You have got me thinking about it now though... :)
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby rossharvey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:33 am

Ah - nothing that complicated. Just a line that illustrates the highest peak so far.

Such as this:

It would be perfect if we could set the peak level value (i.e. 0 for VU meters).

While the VU meters look sexy, they're not really useful to find the absolute highest peak.
rossharvey
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 pm

rossharvey wrote:Ah - nothing that complicated. Just a line that illustrates the highest peak so far.

Such as this:

It would be perfect if we could set the peak level value (i.e. 0 for VU meters).

While the VU meters look sexy, they're not really useful to find the absolute highest peak.

Ok - I'm not quite there with the peak hold bit - but I have hacked a JS plugin I found in my reaper effects folder - Wigware Multi Peak VU Meter - to act exactly like the reaper peak meters - and output the values to be read by Stripper. This JS Plugin does also have peak hold capabilities which could be output too. I wouldn't be able to place a peak hold control on top of a peak meter control in Stripper (it is not designed to allow overlapping controls) - but you could have a text value display at the top or underneath the peak meter control which gives you the text version of the held highest peak value...

Still working on it anyway - but this should work ok.

It means you can place these meters anywhere in the FX chain to get the tap the meter readout at that place in the chain :)

Oh - and I have released an experimental update (latest lua file in github). This has a fix for Surge EQ which Nebula wasn't updating its internal formatted value quick enough to be accurately read by Stripper.

Also in this update contains font options for controls and gauges. It seems if a font is missing - reaper just drops back to a default font (on my windows system this is Arial). So sharing files across systems might not always look right if a font is missing - but still should work fine.
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby rossharvey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:09 am

Fantastic! A numerical highest peak readout would work perfectly. Thanks :)

Regarding reading the meter anywhere in the chain, does that mean you no longer need to instantiate a VU meter plugin to do so? Direct from reaper?

I noticed a pop-up on one of the YT vids about meters and gain staging that it was no longer necessary, but the alternative method was never mentioned.

Fonts - fantastic! Will have a play with those in the morning. Need to build some strips for Tim's Blue EQ :)
rossharvey
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby RJHollins » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:26 am

If this helps ... basically any VST parameter that is visible in LBX list, is a candidate for display/control.

Beside the available Neb-4 parameters ... I use the JS A/B dual plugins. From there we can capture any of those parameters. I particularly use the GAIN Change in a display box. Next to it, I have a slider control of N-4's main Gain Out. With that, I am able to Unity Gain Stage each N-4 instance.

One caveat... the readout from A/B is intensive. Because of this, I'm only able to monitor 3-4 A/B displays. For this, I also have BYPASS controls of the A/B plugins directly on LBX.

There might be a better solution, but I've used A/B since day one. I do NOT use it's FILTER measurement, but the exact dB difference. [gain between plugins is specific, not subjective/relative].
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby lbhms » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 am

rossharvey wrote:Fantastic! A numerical highest peak readout would work perfectly. Thanks :)

Regarding reading the meter anywhere in the chain, does that mean you no longer need to instantiate a VU meter plugin to do so? Direct from reaper?

I noticed a pop-up on one of the YT vids about meters and gain staging that it was no longer necessary, but the alternative method was never mentioned.

Fonts - fantastic! Will have a play with those in the morning. Need to build some strips for Tim's Blue EQ :)

I'm not sure about not needing gain staging. I remember someone mentioning linking parameters so it wouldn't be required.

Anyway - no - you would still require the peak meter JS plugin at the relevant position in teh FX chain to 'tap' the signal at that point. All I'm getting at is it is entirely accurate to reapers own mixer meters, and also has a hold readout.

I'm currently awaiting permission from the original author that it's ok to use my adapted version and let people have it. It's released under a do not change but can distribute license - so I've emailed the author about this.

The bit of code that I needed was actually pretty straightforward (but still a formula I hadn't worked out how to recreate in JS (I already had it in Lua in my code)). So even if he says no - I suspect I could recreate it in my own JS code. Just have to wait and see.
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby rossharvey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:28 pm

RJHollins wrote:If this helps ... basically any VST parameter that is visible in LBX list, is a candidate for display/control.

Beside the available Neb-4 parameters ... I use the JS A/B dual plugins. From there we can capture any of those parameters. I particularly use the GAIN Change in a display box. Next to it, I have a slider control of N-4's main Gain Out. With that, I am able to Unity Gain Stage each N-4 instance.

One caveat... the readout from A/B is intensive. Because of this, I'm only able to monitor 3-4 A/B displays. For this, I also have BYPASS controls of the A/B plugins directly on LBX.

There might be a better solution, but I've used A/B since day one. I do NOT use it's FILTER measurement, but the exact dB difference. [gain between plugins is specific, not subjective/relative].

Thanks for the explanation.

Regarding A/B, do you mean this:

http://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/ab_lm.html

(Or the JSFX version)?

I usually just stick Klanghiem VUMeters at each stage and have them open next to the Stripper window.
rossharvey
User Level IX
User Level IX

PreviousNext

Return to Other things