Login

Alternative for Nyrv Agent (Reaper)

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: Alternative for Nyrv Agent (Reaper)

Postby llesne » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:28 pm

lbhms wrote:Nice work. I'm sure you know this well for AlexB EQs - but have you made the last band in the chain an HQ preset, and all the others LE? (Obviously I cannot tell from the screenshot).

No you are right I forgot... Usually I mainly use programs with harmonics... But in the manual it's mentioned that it's recommended for accuracy and realism to use harmonic bands last in the chain... With the learn function on LBX Stripper it's dead easy to modify it tho ! :mrgreen:

In the case of the Alex B 4K Black EQ, it's the Low Pass Filter on the right that should be with harmonics, while all the others should be clean isn't it ?

I've done some work with the eq :)
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2017-03-24 à 15.27.42.png
Just the beginning...
Capture d’écran 2017-03-24 à 15.27.42.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 981 times
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Lynx Aurora (n) - APS Klasik - Reaper 5 -Nebula 3 server, White2, Navy, Pink compressors, Pink CM, Tan, Ochre, Gold
llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Nice collection of EQs!!

Yeah - if the LPF is the last in the chain - it should be the HQ one (if you're going for accurate to hardware). It should also be active all the time I guess (at least if you are using any other bands).

If there was a harmonics only preset with the EQ - you could have that last in the chain (and not visible in the strip). But you would need to make sure that the 'Save all track fx in strip' option was set in Stripper to make sure it saved with the strip (with this option unticked - only plugins with controls in the strip will be saved with the strip).

However - the AlexB EQs I have (MMeQ, MFQ and a few older ones) don't have a harmonics only preset (eg like the preamps in some Aqua plugins). I'm pretty sure I have some Neb EQ's with just the harmonics captured - but obv. not the AlexB ones).
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby llesne » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Ok ok I get it I'm going to correct the strips.

What could be awesome is to have two bypass button per band, one bypass for clean band and the other bypass for HQ band. Each button would turn on the corresponding Nebula libraries... I Don't know if it's possible, because one potentiometer would be linked to two libraries (the controls of the band above the bypass switches) ... :?:
iMac late 2013, 3.1 GHz Intel Core I7, 16 Go RAM, OSX 10.9.5 - Lynx Aurora (n) - APS Klasik - Reaper 5 -Nebula 3 server, White2, Navy, Pink compressors, Pink CM, Tan, Ochre, Gold
llesne
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:50 pm

That would be possible using a macro control to control the freq/gain/q controls. You would still require each plugins controls on the grid - but you could make them a tiny fader or something and set them to hidden. Then assign them to the macro control and leave the range of the macro control for each parameter at full range...

But load times would be more due to double number of Neb instances. Although instead of bypass buttons - you could add the offline controls instead - which sets the plugin instance offline (ie. not loaded). Offline works by manipulating the track chunk which can have some odd behaviour with a very few plugins (not Neb in my experience) - I've only found 2 plugins which if the track chunk is altered - their parameters reset. :/ Anyway - offline mode generally works well and is ideal for this.

EDIT: Main downside of using macro control is that the value readout would just be a number from 0 to 1, as it cannot display the actual plugin setting value - although you could do something clever with the actual knob - make the graphic transparent and just show the value readout... but we're getting experimental here...
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 pm

llesne wrote:Ok ok I get it I'm going to correct the strips.

What could be awesome is to have two bypass button per band, one bypass for clean band and the other bypass for HQ band. Each button would turn on the corresponding Nebula libraries... I Don't know if it's possible, because one potentiometer would be linked to two libraries (the controls of the band above the bypass switches) ... :?:

Well I've been playing with this idea - and it is possible - but there are some annoyances which make it not really worthwhile. The offline mode doesn't work well as if one instance is offline - it doesn't follow the set value until switched on and the macro knob is moved.

Using bypass instead of offline button it nearly works well - but for some reason when Nebula (N3 tested with) - is bypassed - it doesn't update the controls displayed value as often. There would be ways around this (show 2 readouts) - but it's not ideal. You can simply test this by bypassing Nebula instance (reaper bypass as there's no automation access to internal bypass button) - and then moving the knobs. You'll notice the value does not update frequently. This is also a problem when using the EQ Control section of Stripper and trying a scan with Neb bypassed - it just doesn't work.

I don't know if there is a setting somewhere in Nebula to make it work normally when bypassed...
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Could LBX send MIDI PRG CHANGE commands?

That is what I use in my NVC MIDI controllers. Yes, there are still needed features with N-4, particularly a SETUPS option to customize a specific library and independent MIDI CHannel assignments to each N-4 instance. [something I've been pushing for behind the scenes].

Meantime ... if a type of 'selector' could be assigned to send a PRG number that talks to a specific instance, we might have some type of method. [kust speculation on my part, not knowing LUA scripting possibilities]
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby lbhms » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:15 pm

RJHollins wrote:Could LBX send MIDI PRG CHANGE commands?

That is what I use in my NVC MIDI controllers. Yes, there are still needed features with N-4, particularly a SETUPS option to customize a specific library and independent MIDI CHannel assignments to each N-4 instance. [something I've been pushing for behind the scenes].

Meantime ... if a type of 'selector' could be assigned to send a PRG number that talks to a specific instance, we might have some type of method. [kust speculation on my part, not knowing LUA scripting possibilities]

I'll look into it, thanks RJ.

Well - looks like it's still not straightforward. Would require going via the virtual midi keyboard or possibly using ReaControlMidi plugin - so no direct access via the script.
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 pm

hmmm ... I started with ReaMIDI Control ... it was not ideal for workflow setup :roll:

?Question? is SYSEX protocol available in LUA ?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby lbhms » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:44 am

RJHollins wrote:hmmm ... I started with ReaMIDI Control ... it was not ideal for workflow setup :roll:

?Question? is SYSEX protocol available in LUA ?

Not as far as I know. All internal MIDI messages have to go via the Virtual Keyboard (using StuffMIDIMessage), or triggered via a dedicated VST/JS plugin. Lua has no direct access to the internal MIDI busses. It can send messages to external MIDI devices though via StuffMIDIMessage A*I.
lbhms
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RJHollins » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:22 am

hm ... ok. [that's all the 'stuff' I had] :oops:

soooo .... could we talk AA into providing a 'patch#' parameter ? [probably not as it would break bwrd compat.] :|

Nonetheless ... I've been able to access each N-4 instance, and manually change the PRESET. As long as the controlling parameters are identical, it should work ... although I've not tested extensively.

To all this, a 'handy feature' from NVC controllers: whenever I did switching from clean and saturated preset options, I allowed user settings [gain, freq, Q, etc] to auto-transfer to the alt preset. This way, I could quickly switch from clean to 'dirty' and maintain eq settings. That would be nice to have [if possible].

Throw in some 'auto-gauges' around the Knobs ... we'd be dancin' :P :lol:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other things