Login

Purple EQ is a little off

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Purple EQ is a little off

Postby Melodist » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:01 pm

For all those who are about to get the Purple EQ from Acustica-Audio: I have no idea what they've captured, but it is either a sloppily calibrated Pultec or some other clone.
Attachments
pultec.jpg
Top boost is a Pulse EQP-1A3 and to my knowledge correct, below the Purple P1:
Last edited by Melodist on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Melodist
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Purple EQ is nothing like a 1A3

Postby callumr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:00 pm

They look the practically same - but question is -sound wise-which do you prefer and why?
callumr
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Melodist » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 pm

callumr wrote:They look the practically same - but question is -sound wise-which do you prefer and why?

the bell boost is a lot wider on the original. If you are used to the original, this won't get you very far, other than being a kind of pultec.

The question is, since nebula does simulations through capturing, what have they captured then?
Melodist
User Level II
User Level II

Postby robschroeder » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:34 pm

First of all: AA never says and never said that it is an exactly replica of a original hardware unit. And second I doubt that each 'Pultec' Original or not has really the same width on their curves.

You can see this very good if you compare different Nebula Libraries regarding Pultec. Each of them is 'different' in curves. And even my Pultec Hardware Clone has its own slightly different curves and also added frequencies to select. And as I can see that your unit you are referring to is also 'only' a clone even if it is an expensive one. So are you sure that the width of the bell is exactly like in an original one? What if yours is not, and AA sampled a real original?

So at the end of the day the question is: Do I have the character of the unit? Do I like the sound? Do I like what it does? Yes or not?

And I doubt that the most of us have a 'real' Pultec unit in their studio tom compare with :D . For me the curves look nearly similar that's ok for me especially if you compare the price of a Pultec Clone, Original Pultec or anything else.
robschroeder

Postby Melodist » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Well okay it is not that bad, but I could hear it instantly.

They should consult me when it comes to vintage equipment.
Attachments
pultecnew.jpg
Melodist
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Melodist » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:32 pm

robschroeder wrote:First of all: AA never says and never said that it is an exactly replica of a original hardware unit. And second I doubt that each 'Pultec' Original or not has really the same width on their curves.

You can see this very good if you compare different Nebula Libraries regarding Pultec. Each of them is 'different' in curves. And even my Pultec Hardware Clone has its own slightly different curves and also added frequencies to select. And as I can see that your unit you are referring to is also 'only' a clone even if it is an expensive one. So are you sure that the width of the bell is exactly like in an original one? What if yours is not, and AA sampled a real original?

So at the end of the day the question is: Do I have the character of the unit? Do I like the sound? Do I like what it does? Yes or not?

And I doubt that the most of us have a 'real' Pultec unit in their studio tom compare with :D . For me the curves look nearly similar that's ok for me especially if you compare the price of a Pultec Clone, Original Pultec or anything else.

I have 2 Pultecs and they are all across the board the same, I could instantly hear that it wasn't en par, due to the wide band. Maybe they captured one that was "fixed" and not calibrated properly.

Acustica's 60 Hz sound more like 40, if this was a Pultec band.

The red line is a little thicker so the difference is pretty audible that the 60 band compared to a 1A3 lacks width. I guess it is fine if you're not looking for a 1a3 simulation but something pultec like.

The slope / bell of the Nebula pultec is steeper.
Melodist
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Purple EQ is a little off

Postby giancarlo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:09 pm

the devices we sampled were exactly matched. This is my final word about it. I see many polemics about those devices, but we sampled them without modifying anything, PERIOD.

Notes: they are rather expensive and extremely well serviced.
There are pictures of them.

On next year we'll release a device (different kind of device) featuring original components only (simply because its price doesn't allow any kind of service or substitution); components can degrade after several years so I don't expect it will sound exactly like in the exact day it was released. It will sound like a broken device which survived the storm.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Melodist » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:35 pm

giancarlo wrote:the devices we sampled were exactly matched. This is my final word about it. I see many polemics about those devices, but we sampled them without modifying anything, PERIOD.

Notes: they are rather expensive and extremely well serviced.
There are pictures of them.

On next year we'll release a device (different kind of device) featuring original components only (simply because its price doesn't allow any kind of service or substitution); components can degrade after several years so I don't expect it will sound exactly like in the exact day it was released. It will sound like a broken device which survived the storm.

Gotcha, no gripe intended, just wanted somebody to shed some light on the making :)
Melodist
User Level II
User Level II

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SSD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SSD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Other things