Login

Acustica, VPN's & Tor.

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Acustica, VPN's & Tor.

Postby drezz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:46 pm

So, recently I've been experimenting with using a VPN & Tor browser. I've nothing to hide per se, but amid all the invasive advertising targeting, risk of data logging and theft and general lack of privacy online, i thought I'd try protecting my online presence to see how it worked out. It seems pretty good, there's a few differences, like remembering passwords and various things like java, flash and other things that are different. The point is, when I've visited the Acustica site, sometimes I've had trouble logging in, being informed i cannot do so as i've been identified as a spammer, and other times on loading the forum, the graphic layout is wrong, none of the html displays correctly and it all looks very plain and without the right layout (it looks like 1998 all over again..........)

Just thought I'd mention it.

It may be worth addressing these issues, as I predict a lot of people are going to be thinking about thier internet security more and more in these times of global weirdness, hacking and spying and exploitation.

What do others think? It would be good to get some feedback from the community here............
drezz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Acustica, VPN's & Tor.

Postby Support » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 pm

drezz wrote:So, recently I've been experimenting with using a VPN & Tor browser. I've nothing to hide per se, but amid all the invasive advertising targeting, risk of data logging and theft and general lack of privacy online, i thought I'd try protecting my online presence to see how it worked out. It seems pretty good, there's a few differences, like remembering passwords and various things like java, flash and other things that are different. The point is, when I've visited the Acustica site, sometimes I've had trouble logging in, being informed i cannot do so as i've been identified as a spammer, and other times on loading the forum, the graphic layout is wrong, none of the html displays correctly and it all looks very plain and without the right layout (it looks like 1998 all over again..........)

Just thought I'd mention it.

It may be worth addressing these issues, as I predict a lot of people are going to be thinking about thier internet security more and more in these times of global weirdness, hacking and spying and exploitation.

What do others think? It would be good to get some feedback from the community here............

Seems Tor is a favorite web browser for spam and used IP addresses are in black list, our website read those public black list and block it.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:14 pm

I use TOR every day and would love to see more web sites avoid blacklisting it.

drezz, you don't need to say you have nothing to hide! Everyone has the right to hide what they want without apology, i bet you would like to hide your bank details and home address?
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby drezz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:55 pm

indeed yes,,,,,,,,,,,,i would at that :D
drezz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dpclarkson » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:36 pm

In that case, hand it over! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dpclarkson

Postby RE301 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Less extreme than TOR/VPN, but possibly reasonably effective measures for the average 'net user (eg: not an investigative journalist / dissident in an authoritarian regime etc) in avoiding all the tracking & collecting of data points for commercial / advertising purposes (and all the subsequent unknown ramifications of how this information gets used) are the following plugins/extensions for Firefox browser (click on 'tools', 'get add ons') :
Ghostery (avoids trackers)
Disconnect (avoids trackers & seems to speed up sites)
Ad Blocker Plus (great add on but note: sometimes causes problems with pop up windows during online purchases or will make certain site's functions not work so you have to disable)
Better Privacy (deletes cookies including hidden Flash/LSO 'super cookies')
Duck Duck Go Plus (non tracking search engine. click prefs to make it default search engine in Firefox
search bar)

HTTPS Everywhere (collab between TOR & EFF which encrypts your communication with websites, when possible)
Track Me Not (makes random searches in the background to make your data 'profile' inaccurate. Seems to slow down web activity though.. I like the idea but I usually end up disabling this one)..

No probs with the Acustica site or shop using these as far as I can recall...

Edit: btw none of those above will obscure
one's IP address
RE301

Return to Other things