Login

New PC build needed --- advice please

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: New PC build needed --- advice please

Postby RJHollins » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Bump !

Getting my component order together ... need to decide on PC 64-bit Operating System.

Many are telling me go Win-7 and then later update to 10. My 1st question ... after the update to 10 would I have to RE-REGISTER all Nebula/Acquas ????

or

What's the status on Windows-10 with regard to Nebula/Acqua ??

thanks everyone.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:06 pm

I have updated from 7 to 8 to 10 without re-registering. But I suggest just installing 10. Why install 7 at all?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:04 am

richie43 wrote:I have updated from 7 to 8 to 10 without re-registering. But I suggest just installing 10. Why install 7 at all?

Hi Richie,

The 'question' came from mention that Win-10 support was not official [according the GianCarlo, I believe].

Other concerns, at least for me, what's happening to these Op Systems. I was OK with Win-XP ... it seemed to stay out of my way [if that makes sense].

Well, that's neither here nor there ... I'm now forced into a new build, and with that, I'll move to 64-bit. But here is another issue ... I've a LOT of software that I use for things other than audio. ALL this software is 32-bit [things like Photoshop, SketchUP, [and others], that would cost a small fortune to have to re-purchase or upgrade. I understand that Win-7 can run XP-32 software. I don't know about Win-10 :|

Additionally ... my current audio card is PCI. I'm looking into a PCI to PCIexpress adapter card to see if this would work. I only need 2 MONO INPUTS with 8 analogue OUTPUTS. This is a configuration I'm not seeing available today. My current card is fine [and sounds very good], and is all I need. The company recently closed shop and stopped at Win-7 support. Gee ... nothing easy with any of this :roll:

Not having to 're-register' Neb or Acqua is very good news. I think I'd be eligible for a FREE upgrade to Win-10 with my 7 purchase. Again ... what do I know.

Any info you Guys can provide on this is most helpful. I'm having to borrow a computer just to post for research.

Thanks !!!! 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Dimzo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:45 pm

after the new built you'll have to re-authorize Nebula and Aquas anyway but it's good to know that you don't have to do it if you're doing an OS update later.

i decided to go with Win7 because it runs stable and i'm not seeing anything that i miss atm + i normally wait until the first service pack is released for a new Windows OS before i use it.
Dimzo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 am

Enrique ... Are we confirming that both Nebula & Acqua are fine with Win-10

RE: we are testing W10 slowly. We did not find any issue than lack of hardware driver. Officially is not supported yet, but as beta tester you should know that we are working in CORE7 that should be compatible with next coming OSs.

Touch features, SSD optimizations and services are handle in a better way in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. If you can get W10 and install it directly without any W8.1 installtion first, you can buy W8.1 OEM, should be cheap. I don't seen easy super feature in W8.1 Pro, I have here x2 W8.1 OEM and x1 Win 8.1 Pro (from Surface3 Pro).

Seems Microsoft lear the lesson in Windows vista, and try to keep compatibility with old (W7/W8.1) and legacy OSs (WXP/W2K).
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RJHollins » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:02 am

First ... big THANKS to all that helped guide and shape my new computer build. I am sure that anyone pursuing a DIY build understands the diversity of things to consider.

To this end ... I've placed my order.

This 'upgrade' from an 8 year old build 'SHOULD' be an improvement. I certainly acknowledge that it won't rival the super-computers, but I do hope that I've managed to address 'quality' in this goal.

That's it for the moment. Thanks again for helping !

8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:13 am

Update news ...

My first post with my brand new build :mrgreen:

Still have much to do with setting up everything, but at least system is up and running.

8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mathias » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:16 am

congrats, RJ!! :)

nice to have you back on the scene!
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:40 am

mathias wrote:congrats, RJ!! :)

nice to have you back on the scene!

Thanks mathias !

I've really missed not having a computer.

Right now just finishing up some stress tests and checking CPU temps, etc. So far, everything is checking out good. Another good thing is this Noctua CPU cooler. I'm surprised how silent it is ... but I need to drive this new build even harder to see how it tests out.

Some minor things ... getting the Harddrive LED activity connection :roll: My plug is 3-pin, but the motherboard has 2-pin. Not sure if I can re-do the plug :|

Meanwhile ... installing a few utilities that I like having. Once there ... I look forward to getting my audio apps installed ... then Nebula and Acqua.

Since I'm now with the 64-bit gang with a new OP SYS, I also need to learn a few new things :lol:

Can't wait to get back with you Guys !!!! :)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:34 am

Oh ... the continued joys of migrating to a new build. :roll:
I'm now more aware of a suspect 'hidden agenda' that computer hardware manufactures ascribe to sell new stuff.

So today had to run out to purchase a new video card. OK, my old one fried. I get that. But it looks like my Printer and Scanner won't have driver support. Looking first at some workarounds :| We'll see.

Slowly, I'm getting my core software installed. There is plenty yet to get to. Beside the 'core', there is the back collection of data for those apps that needs to be imported/transferred to the new computer.

Sound Card. I have an older card, and honestly, sounded very good. I took the gamble with a PCI->PCI-express adapter, and it seems to be working. I've not tested with any serious load ... so we'll see [or hear] if I have some time before having to buy a new card.
I ran the 'DPC-Latency Checker' app with excellent results 8-)

I put Reaper 4 on. Guess I should up to version 5. Soon adding VST plugins.

It's been so long, but installing NEBULA-Server I guess I need to start with Neb-PRO, and then upgrade to Server. Is that correct ??? :oops:

There is more :o but I don't want to think about it :lol:

Thanks gang !

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Previous

Return to Other things