Login

New PC build needed --- advice please

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: New PC build needed --- advice please

Postby Support » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:31 pm

flipnaut wrote:@thierr 77: Thx - so i'm not alone with what i saw and feeled in my test!

This is really interesting because S1 is a very nice daw and i like it very much. But you are right: When i look into reapers cpu consumption monitor i see that for example many aquas just have 1-3 % CPU consumption and in S1 they have 20 to 40 %.

So first i thought that the monitor in reaper is wrong... but then i throwed many of TT3b's and Ultramarines into the project and the CPU came near to 40% only...lol. As soon as i put two more nebula reverbs in it the CPU spikes came...

So it seems that aquas are optimized for reaper? Or Studio One is just a bad DAW in performace?

@Acustica: What do you say to this observation? When Reaper performs many times better it is a no brainer to me to investigate reaper of course.

But i must say that reaper looks really "shit" in comparison to S1 and it has not a good workflow. But performace is worth it i think.

Do it in the right way
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28940

PS: use Pro-X Tools skin for get a nice looking Reaper 5...
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Two CPU's I'm comparing:

i7-4790k
i7-5820k

through this link:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K

several differences spotted.

1. Hexa core Quad core
2. Threads 12 8
3. clock speed
4.Memory type DDR-4 DDR-3

several other differences in things like Instruction set, cache' etc. Also the power consumption is quite different [heat].

$ for $ the 4790k looks good on paper, but the number of 'threads', 'cores' is still a question to me. We are talking Nebula, Acqua.

What say the experts :)

OH ... the motherboard is still to consider.

BTW ... researching via iPhone is a PITA. :roll:

OH OH ....

then there is the i7-5930K :shock:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:28 pm

i think it is very easy: when you have the money go for 5820k. Sell it in two years and put a even better CPU in your motherboard.

the 4790k is the latest CPU for Z97 mainboards. You can't upgrade. You must buy new mainboard on next upgrade.

But: At the moment the CPU 4790k is super highend. It is around 200-300 € cheaper than a motherboard with DDR4 and everything else... it does use very low power...^^ it is very calm because lesser heat... super! i like!

So go for lesser money or more... both cpus are great. I guess the 6 cores are a better invest into future. The 4 core... lesser money.
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Selection: Pearl 2 (!), Lime (!), Titanium 2 (!), Pink2412, Amethyst2, Navy, Honey (!), Scarlet3, Magenta3, Blue (!). HW: AML EZ1073, CAPI VP 28, C******r Germanium C, C******r Tone Control, Stam Audio SA-2A, RND 542 Tape Sim.
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Support wrote:
flipnaut wrote:@thierr 77: Thx - so i'm not alone with what i saw and feeled in my test!

This is really interesting because S1 is a very nice daw and i like it very much. But you are right: When i look into reapers cpu consumption monitor i see that for example many aquas just have 1-3 % CPU consumption and in S1 they have 20 to 40 %.

So first i thought that the monitor in reaper is wrong... but then i throwed many of TT3b's and Ultramarines into the project and the CPU came near to 40% only...lol. As soon as i put two more nebula reverbs in it the CPU spikes came...

So it seems that aquas are optimized for reaper? Or Studio One is just a bad DAW in performace?

@Acustica: What do you say to this observation? When Reaper performs many times better it is a no brainer to me to investigate reaper of course.

But i must say that reaper looks really "shit" in comparison to S1 and it has not a good workflow. But performace is worth it i think.

Do it in the right way
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28940

PS: use Pro-X Tools skin for get a nice looking Reaper 5...

okay perhaps i should do that test...

i found imperial and it looks like a real console. This is what i like! Pro-x looks the same bad as pro tools.
Selection: Pearl 2 (!), Lime (!), Titanium 2 (!), Pink2412, Amethyst2, Navy, Honey (!), Scarlet3, Magenta3, Blue (!). HW: AML EZ1073, CAPI VP 28, C******r Germanium C, C******r Tone Control, Stam Audio SA-2A, RND 542 Tape Sim.
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:54 am

Thanks flipnaut for your post, it definately helped to keep a good perspective with this research. I'm sure it can be appreciated that I'm having to educate myself on the latest designs, along with balancing a budget that makes sense. From all accounts, this 'new' technology is a major leap from what I had in my old system [Q9450].

A 'quality' system is going to cost. I'm prepared for that [not happy about it, but this is where its' at]. In that same realm, I need to consider what possible advantage on up'ing the budget [$100 to 200] might offer. If spending $800 or so on a CPU,motherboard and RAM ... adding $200 more might be better in the longterm. I'm not much into selling old parts or doing upgrades every couple of years. I've not the time or inclination to do that. But the real issue comes done to reliability and performance, and this hits at the overall issue ... the demands of Nebula/Acqua.

We all joke about the 'super computer' requirements ... maybe NOT in a funny way. I then use NEBULA as my benchmark requirements.

This is where the real questions come up in this research. WHAT does Nebula prefer ?? Specically, do more cores matter? is it the 'threads' ... how does CPU clock speed play into this?

This might be more to the Acustica Devs. No doubt more of everything and faster is the stock answer for many things in life. But it would be helpful to know more about the base function demands of this Neb/Acqua technology. Even though I do NO gaming with this computer, I do plenty of Photshop and 3-D rendering ... but those too will benefit.

This was one of the questions I posted earlier. Is a slower 6-core BETTER and a faster 4-core as far a Nebula is concerned?

To be clear ... I wanted to single out 'flipnaut' for sharing his thoughts 8-) but I'm asking openingly for those also in the know to help educate me. Hearing from AA Staff would also be most welcome as they would know Nebula.

I can't spend a $illion dollars on this [at least not this week] ... but I know I can get a better computer if I DIY since I have the 'other' components.

I've seen plenty of 'views' on this thread. I'm sure that others are looking in to also learn how to best handle the demands of Nebula/Acqua.

Thanks everyone. Not having a computer has made this research much more difficult to do, so I appreciate everyone. This will at least give me direction to look into.

Sincerely
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:19 pm

You should buy both and test it.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SSD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SSD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby grabie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:54 pm

:o
You should buy both and test it.
:shock:
I feel like this is a typical example of ridiculous information policy. Absurd!
- Not to talk about PROmotion.

I do not feel good about this, at all.
grabie
User Level V
User Level V

Postby flipnaut » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:04 pm

well i think it is an italian joke^^

i suppose that they do not have the neweset newest cpus in their stables. so they could not say you which one is better. As i know the six cores are a bit better as stable in the 80 to 90% cpu consumption region... there it is more stable.

Again: For the next 2-3 years your are very very fine with a i 4790k! I decided to go with it because of lesser power consumption. I think it will be enough for next 4 to 5 years and then i have to change cpu, ram and mainboard. So just go with lesser money and spend the other money into scarlet and you are fine^^ :D And do not think too much and long... just buy!
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby grabie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:49 pm

:roll: Actually, I had to laugh out loud, as I read it ... ;)
grabie
User Level V
User Level V

Postby himhui » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:24 pm

97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.40 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext