Login

New PC build needed --- advice please

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: New PC build needed --- advice please

Postby flipnaut » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Support wrote:
Problems are the heavy spikes i get with every aqua. So even ochre alone does sometimes spikes till 70% when other aquas are in use.

Should be fixed in CORE7 but also you can test better audio host available in the market.

audio host? So you mean the soundcard? Well i use a rme fireface UC and did not expect that it is slow?
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Audio host is an audio sequencer or an audio editor.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:29 am

So when i am at presonus studio one v3... which would be faster?
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:54 am

Thierr7 wrote:i got an i7 4790K Haswell oc' at 4.4 and it's defenatly doing a great job :D

What motherboard and RAM are you using ?

thx
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:54 am

oh ... something else :o

I've heard suggested that I go with Win-7 Pro 64-bit for my new operating system.

I know Win-10 is the latest ... but ... here's a concern ... If I go with 7 and later upgrade to 10 [free], will all programs need to be re-installed ??

My position. I don't want to be upgrading my main work system every other year or three. I look to build a quality system that can handle many years of service. That doesn't mean I spend a crazy to go 'bleeding edge', but invest sensibly with quality components.

I still hope for more Nebula user input.

Thanks again !
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 am

RJHollins wrote:oh ... something else :o

I've heard suggested that I go with Win-7 Pro 64-bit for my new operating system.

I know Win-10 is the latest ... but ... here's a concern ... If I go with 7 and later upgrade to 10 [free], will all programs need to be re-installed ??

My position. I don't want to be upgrading my main work system every other year or three. I look to build a quality system that can handle many years of service. That doesn't mean I spend a crazy to go 'bleeding edge', but invest sensibly with quality components.

I still hope for more Nebula user input.

Thanks again !

yes - just switch to win10 and everything in 64bit. Take win7 first and the update installs automatic. No Program must be updated / reinstalled. Except when you are getting new SSD for example... then you have of course to install everything new.
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:17 pm

flipnaut wrote:So when i am at presonus studio one v3... which would be faster?

@acustica: Which DAW is very stable with aqua and does have a good performance?

I tried reaper and it seemed that the daw did a better job in CPU consumption on aquas?

[...but the workflow and these fx-windows are terrible]
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Attention !

To ALL "Studio One" users : I used to have big issues with Acqua plugins when i was working with S1 ; It's a great and easy piece of software BUT it's also a real resource hog ... I couldn't run more than a few instances on my I7 4770K / 24 gigs of Ram + SSD ...

Since i moved to "Reaper" , I can use many , many more Acqua instances ( haven't been to the limit yet...) + Many Nebula instances as well ...

Just to let you guys know that the DAW you use is a big part of how many instances of Acqua plugins you'll be able to use !
Thierr7

Postby Thierr7 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:54 pm

RJHollins ; i have an ASUS MB (i don't remember which but a good one , not the best either )WIN7 ultimate X64 (not connected to the net , so i disabled plenty of services ... One 256 gig SAMSUNG SSD for win and the programs + Nebula (prg and vectors) + all Acqua plugins . + 3 other regular HD (2 of 1 tera each + 1 of 2 tera , i don't think you should go for 3 tera HD ) with Reaper running now , i got a GREAT system , very powerful and bug free . (MOTU ultralight hybryd for souncard )

I'm not doing huge sessions , about +/- 20 tracks but i can run everything (heavy VST ins + all plugins ) in real time ! i don't go above 30 or 40 percent of cpu charge in Reaper 5 , usually less ...

Someone above mentionned the "terrible" FX view in Reaper , I think you didn't "tweak" it the right way because i got exactly the same "easy" window i used in S1 ; plugins and instruments in sub folders well labelled ... That's right , you have to take some times to feel comfy with reaper but after a while you realize it's much better and AS EASY as S1 if not easier ! You gotta find the right "Theme" that suits you best and learn how to make your own toolbars . I myself use "Eyssina 1.6" that is a perfect "Cubendo" Theme ... no more peaks or limitations with Acqua plugins ;)
Thierr7

Postby flipnaut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:38 pm

@thierr 77: Thx - so i'm not alone with what i saw and feeled in my test!

This is really interesting because S1 is a very nice daw and i like it very much. But you are right: When i look into reapers cpu consumption monitor i see that for example many aquas just have 1-3 % CPU consumption and in S1 they have 20 to 40 %.

So first i thought that the monitor in reaper is wrong... but then i throwed many of TT3b's and Ultramarines into the project and the CPU came near to 40% only...lol. As soon as i put two more nebula reverbs in it the CPU spikes came...

So it seems that aquas are optimized for reaper? Or Studio One is just a bad DAW in performace?

@Acustica: What do you say to this observation? When Reaper performs many times better it is a no brainer to me to investigate reaper of course.

But i must say that reaper looks really "shit" in comparison to S1 and it has not a good workflow. But performace is worth it i think.
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other things