Login

What do you guys think about Zynaptiq Unfilter?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

What do you guys think about Zynaptiq Unfilter?

Postby Enclave » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:54 pm

"What do you guys think about this product?"

This...is that kind of thread :)

http://www.zynaptiq.com/unfilter/

It is able to remove filtering such as comb and resonances from material - more accurately it is using eq at the very least to effect a more linear response. Dev says it handles corrective eq duties. Of course there are parameters you will need to specify to tell the processes how much and where, but it seems that it can do a lot of work that would be relatively time consuming or nigh impossible using traditional eq methods and lacking a truly experienced ear.

Does anyone have anything to input?
Enclave
User Level III
User Level III

Re: What do you guys think about Zynaptiq Unfilter?

Postby Enclave » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Ok popping in to say I've been demo-ing it and so far I like what I hear. Pretty easy to get a handle on, though all the functions were completely alien on first touch...it's definitely on the shortlist. I could easily work without it, but now that I've heard it, I can't go back.

Very interesting results I got, very powerful. eg. I had a very resonant piano, put Unfilter on it, tweak about 30 seconds, viola -- turned into my interpretation of a clean dry piano -- it also sounded as if it had been close-miked, which it probably had been, but the room made it sound further before I applied eq using Unfilter :). I tried to replicate the results with other eq's in a real-world fashion, a few bands at most. I did get passable but usable results, but it was different - Unfilter's version was closer and drier, and although it was not what my ideal piano sound was, it got a lot closer with just one pass, and was ready for more processes to hit it.

Ok after all this praise I must say that for ordinary musical applications I can say that it's unnecessary, but for me it's necessary since I am a sound nut -- if I can get better sounding acoustic tracks I will shell out of my posterior. I guess that's why I also use Nebula, for me there's no option.

One last thing - surprisingly the demo was very educational. It would spit out it's cleaned up version, and then I would try to beat it - I would get close, so very close, but still so very far away, which made a lot of sense once I looked at the transfer function. Good for ear training also. If there's a bad thing I have to say the price is tres steep.
Enclave
User Level III
User Level III

Postby mathias » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:22 am

even if it is maybe to wrong place to discuss this, here is my perspective:

i own unveil from zynaptiq and it is really a great tool which can do things, you can't do with any other plugin. i think their approach to work with audiodata is a great addition to what we already have.
i demo'ed unfilter too and find it a great approach to the task of equalizing.
if the price where not that high, it would be already in my arsenal.
it gives such a refreshing view on frequencies and how to deal with it, that is has the power to really change the paradigms in this field. it may take a while until it will be realized, how this semi-automated way of equalization (i call it that :) ) can speed up things significantly.
it is still the better way to get a good sound through mic positioning and using rooms in the right way. but even then you can balance the sound of instruments, without fiddling around too much.
i find it really beneficial to use all the intelligence packed in these tools, to make my life easier 8-)
it's on my list and will be in use here not too far away :D

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:50 am

another thought:
maybe this helps, to have the technical aspects not too much in the way of the creative aspects of bringing music to the people ...
we are already much nearer to that, when you think of the past, with big studios and recordcompanies defining the field.

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 am

I'm very interested in Unveil, trying to talk my boss into buying a copy. Everything I've read says that it is amazing.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 am

there is a demoversion on the website, so you can try yourself if it does what you would expect.

mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Enclave » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:15 am

mathias wrote:another thought:
maybe this helps, to have the technical aspects not too much in the way of the creative aspects of bringing music to the people ...
we are already much nearer to that, when you think of the past, with big studios and recordcompanies defining the field.

On one hand it does feel like all the hours I spent learning about issues to correct using eq were not as vital, on the other hand if I had not learnt about them I would never have really understood all the reasons why I would be using Unfilter. So....in the end it is still important to know the technical, the 'why', and it is good to have such a quick 'how' to correct those issues.

But I agree completely, it really helps with the creative side. You've used it so you know, when you run material through Unfilter, and then tweak the intensity probably a little either way, and then extreme to 0 ;), and then back to the good setting, you just hear it and go "that's how I wanted it to sound". And then you move on with the more important things of life :)
Enclave
User Level III
User Level III

Return to Other things