Login

UAD VOG

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

UAD VOG

Postby jkervin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Just curious to hear what you guys think about this thread I saw on GS:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zone/851893-uad-owes-us-apology-voice-god.html

Here's the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf7vn_aVTq4

I recently bought the hardware version, but haven't really gotten into it yet...
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

Re: UAD VOG

Postby botus99 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 pm

I heard about this and gave it some thought. What's to say that Waves, URS, Sonalksis, etc haven't done similar things in the plugins they've done where they "modelled" vintage pieces of equipment?

Chances are that we've all been duped with this kind of stuff. It's well known that many digital EQ's can mimic, and even phase-cancel each other in most cases. Given that fact, it's safe to assume that these "analog modelled" eq's really may not have any analog modelling in them at all besides the correct curve/Q values. As long as the curve/Q of the equalizer is true to the original, the work involved in creating dynamic saturation is all but forgotten about (until Nebula reared its head, and now Slate is trying to pick that up along with Waves).

A dynamic saturation modelled plugin compared to a clean digital plugin obviously carry different sounds. Both DO have their place, but now the jig is up. Plugin companies are hearing what Nebula has been doing for years and what Waves and Slate are just now figuring out in dynamic saturation. My BELIEF is that most "analog modelled" plugins up to this point have little saturation involved. I'm sure there are exceptions (and I don't mean added white noise... WAVES), but chances are great that this isn't just the UAD VOG and that it's not just UAD that has done that either...

All I know is that I'll never forget that feeling I got when I bought my first libraries from AITB, AlexB, and Michael Angel (and soon after Henry Olonga and Eric from STN/RhythmInMind). In the 10 years of using plugins before that point, NEVER did I have that euphoric flavor that Nebula added. My loyalty to Nebula was crystallized in that moment :lol:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby jkervin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 pm

All good points. I normally don't get involved in these kinds of arguements, just wanted to hear someone from this forum's opinion. I guess I don't care too much either way as to how something is modeled - just what it sounds like when I use it :) I just thought this particular video was interesting anyway...especially since UAD is pretty highly regarded. I don't use the UAD stuff - I had considered it until I got on board with Nebula.

botus99 wrote:All I know is that I'll never forget that feeling I got when I bought my first libraries from AITB, AlexB, and Michael Angel (and soon after Henry Olonga and Eric from STN/RhythmInMind). In the 10 years of using plugins before that point, NEVER did I have that euphoric flavor that Nebula added. My loyalty to Nebula was crystallized in that moment :lol:

THIS is the truth! Nebula has quickly become my favorite!
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

Postby botus99 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:17 pm

I actually still use my UAD-1 cards so even with this "deceiving" revelation about the VOG plugin, I still love using their DBX160 or 1176's. This only happens when I NEED more clinical/clean/sterile compression (although I usually end up using a Mojo program afterwards anyway).

This isn't the first time a company has done this type of thing, and I'm sure it won't be the last. The most important thing, as you said, is HOW DOES IT SOUND?! :mrgreen:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Return to Other things