Login

DMG Equilibrium, what do you guys think?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

DMG Equilibrium, what do you guys think?

Postby mpodrug » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi guys!

I would like to know what you think about this EQ.

http://dmgaudio.com/products_equilibrium.php

Lately i consider to buy this thing, as working with nebula EQs sometimes really gets the best of me.

Have you ever tried it side on side with nebula ones? Not that i'm to lazy to do so, i'm just curious of your opinions.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Re: DMG Equilibrium, what do you guys think?

Postby david1103 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:03 pm

The developer has made some bold claims in various threads that he understands why Nebula EQ's sound like they do, and that his software can sound like that too.

I would like to hear a side by side comparison too, talk is cheap, i will believe it when i hear it :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWAN » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:32 pm

a lot of people seem to love it but I wasnt blown away.

The EQ Im nuts about at the moment is Spline EQ.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby hemd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:03 pm

I liked it, it is imho a very good EQ with a lot of features, if i would not own any i would have bought it, but i already have a lot of eqs that are also not bad. On KVR is a long thread about it, the developer Dave Gamble posted a lot of information.
hemd
User Level II
User Level II

Postby richie43 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:39 am

Many EQ's can capture an EQ curve similar to a Nebula EQ, but no plugin can recreate the entire essence of sample-based emulations unless it is another sample-based emulation. Equilibrium is an amazing tool, no doubt. But sound like any Nebula EQ (or all??lol)... I say no way. That is a silly and misleading claim by the dev. If you are only interested in EQ curves, then you are wasting your time and money with Nebula. Nebula has unique strengths in regards to THD, "mojo", etc. Ask Henry Olonga, he has also released many Q-Clonbe presets, which are very cool if you own Q-Clone (which is a masterful tool for emulating EQ Curves). But Q-Clone lacks in the same ways any algorithmic plugin does- it can't deliver in the deeper and more subtle nuances of an audio signal path like Nebula (in my opinion, of course).
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Lonnie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 pm

There was an informal shootout at Gearslutz lately, DMG Equilibrium vs Fab Filter.

I preferred Fab Filter, in the highs it was shiny but not night-fatigue glare like DMG. As for using DMG, what a great GUI, and there's generous demos if anyone wants to check them out. It's intuitive.

In conclusion, my personal tests with DMG Equilibrium, thought it's 10 out of 10 for notching-out external noises (outdoors, high-rez samples), but for actual music content, Nebula or Fab Filter are what I think sounds best.
Lonnie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWAN » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Lonnie wrote:There was an informal shootout at Gearslutz lately, DMG Equilibrium vs Fab Filter.

I preferred Fab Filter, in the highs it was shiny but not night-fatigue glare like DMG. As for using DMG, what a great GUI, and there's generous demos if anyone wants to check them out. It's intuitive.

In conclusion, my personal tests with DMG Equilibrium, thought it's 10 out of 10 for notching-out external noises (outdoors, high-rez samples), but for actual music content, Nebula or Fab Filter are what I think sounds best.

tbh I would be careful about making judgements on tests like that one in GS because it seemed like the curves werent properly matched - which will most likely lead to the differences you hear...thats the tricky part in comparing...

Having tried a bit more Equilibrium in FIR mode does seem to treat the lows better - more solid than the average IIR EQ...difficult to compare Nebula programs directly...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby zeyoung » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 pm

hi guy,
if you want to compare Equilibrium to nebula eq compare it without saturation setting to be fair,and do a blind test.
for me nebula EQ is great and Equilibrium too.
zeyoung

Postby Lonnie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:11 am

SWAN wrote:
tbh I would be careful about making judgements on tests like that one in GS because it seemed like the curves werent properly matched - which will most likely lead to the differences you hear...thats the tricky part in comparing...

Strangely though, a null test showed the differences to be extraordinarily close, to my ears one was dissonant and the other sweet.

If the "powers that be" want to agree on another, more formal test, I'll renew my enthusiasm.
Lonnie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:53 pm

DMG Equilibrium use a mode called FIR that give some good resultbetter than other EQs. FF will release a v2 version with top end new features, maybe also dynamic features. I only have Pro-Q and I use a lot with Nebula also.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Other things