Login

Look who's here... Pro Tools 10

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: Look who's here... Pro Tools 10

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:43 am

OMG. No way. On a serious note, I have nothing against any DAW, but how can Avid get away with this? Didn't 9 just come out? And an even bigger question is why do users keep buying into it deeper? I know that it was cutting edge and ahead of it's time, but that has changed. There are so many choices out there that don't require the monetary investment, ties to specific hardware, etc etc etc. I have heard some awesome AND some terrible mixes come from every DAW including ProTools. Their strategy SEEMS crazy, but why would they ever change their business model if people keep paying for it? Avid has a great thing going, it seems.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby faun2500 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:42 am

Reapers workflow at first was a nightmare. Because I used Cubase for about 10 years.

Now I would never look back! Reaper IS the bollox.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:20 pm

which are the improvements? avid website is a bit obscure (apart prestine here, achievements there, quality up, headroom there...)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby fuseburn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Hahahaha, RTAS is dead as it seems. AAX all the way ! Good choice to not have invested in a native Nebula RTAS version !
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 pm

faun2500 wrote:...Reaper IS the bollox.

Yup
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cpwade » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:45 pm

I think what excited me most it that protools introduces the ability to load complete sessions into ram, and the ability to record directly to flash drives and better ADC. However I find it obscene that they expect to maintain their user base charging 2k US to keep up. Yet their business model has always been this way and their ability to market "perception" is second to none. Great marketing case study.

Presonus Studio One v2 brings the ability to edit with melodyne internally as a seamless part of the app.

I won't buy either, but they both raise the bar industry wide with the introduction of these new tools.

These are very interesting developments.
Nuendo, Logic, Sonar will have to follow suit to stay cutting edge.

Reaper, the least hard coded of the bunch will once again leapfrog ahead through all this innovation. Their ability to flex quickly gives them a clearly deserved edge.

Competition like this is healthy and we all win.
You young naysayers, I say good on you. Nuendo, Logic, Protools are dinosaurs and they do not innovate as quickly as the less matured programs. Enjoy the show, I sure am.
cpwade

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:26 pm

cpwade wrote:I think what excited me most it that protools introduces the ability to load complete sessions into ram, and the ability to record directly to flash drives and better ADC. However I find it obscene that they expect to maintain their user base charging 2k US to keep up. Yet their business model has always been this way and their ability to market "perception" is second to none. Great marketing case study.

Presonus Studio One v2 brings the ability to edit with melodyne internally as a seamless part of the app.

I won't buy either, but they both raise the bar industry wide with the introduction of these new tools.

These are very interesting developments.
Nuendo, Logic, Sonar will have to follow suit to stay cutting edge.

Reaper, the least hard coded of the bunch will once again leapfrog ahead through all this innovation. Their ability to flex quickly gives them a clearly deserved edge.

Competition like this is healthy and we all win.
You young naysayers, I say good on you. Nuendo, Logic, Protools are dinosaurs and they do not innovate as quickly as the less matured programs. Enjoy the show, I sure am.

I just had to quote this to re-post it and say "Well said. Hear, hear!"
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby joshnur » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 pm

Two or three notable new ones for me are:
1. New plugin format (not necessarily positive for developers and end-users)
2. More compatibility with disk drives
3. Higher mixing resolution at 32-bit instead of 24-bit (internal remains at 48 I believe)

Another thing to note, but it's deep down in the marketing message: PT still remains a 32-bit application, lagging behind Logic Audio, Sonar, Reaper and what not...

So, if you read between the lines, expect a PT 11 with full 64-bit not too far in the future, in part thanks to that new plugin architecture/format too.

Seriously, I side with everybody else who feels like they're really bent on squeezing the money out of their existing customers.

I doubt I'll ever upgrade my PT and will instead try the alternatives and settle on one main workhorse DAW, and signs point to Reaper and Logic for now...

There are so many issues with PT 8 that they never, ever fixed, several people also regularly mention issues on PT 9. Are they intent on fixing this as well? Not sure.

giancarlo wrote:which are the improvements? avid website is a bit obscure (apart prestine here, achievements there, quality up, headroom there...)
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby cpwade » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 am

I forgot to mention that ironically, PT's announcement and innovation "loading sessions into ram" is awesome, until you remember that the next wave of 'puter releases will include Solid State drives. This completely nulls this new Avid "load to ram" technology. So, that said, it will be "amazing" for about 4 months. Then PT 11 64 bit optimized for SSD, and another 399 euro to upgrade. Cool. Not so much.

SSD is smoking fast and I'm about to go there. :D
cpwade

Postby mathias » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:59 am

innovations :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what they call innovations and make big words about it, are all things samplitude has for eons.

- 32 bit mixing resolution
- object-faders for gain (i laugh my ass off, samplitudes object editing is still way ahead of all other daws)
- load projects into ram (sam had it from the beginning)
- and whatever.....

this is really a company pumping itself up!

i hope i will never be forced to work with that software.

over

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Other things