Login

Non-nebula compressors. Need advice.

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Non-nebula compressors. Need advice.

Postby Melon_Jack » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Is UAD is worth it? I've already figured out, that Nebula can't emulate 1176 or LA2A, for example. But UAD does. And quite well, if trust opinions on forums..
They and 33609 most needed for me. Maybe i should stick with UAD for this comps, and for other things use Nebula? Which alternatives they have and how good they are?

P.S. It's only for me forum is slooooow loading? O__o
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Re: Non-nebula compressors. Need advice.

Postby botus99 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Forum is loading fine here 8-)

UAD plugs are my go-to compliment for Nebula. 1176, LA-2A, Fairchild, S*L Buss comp, and D*x 160 are my compressors (I really should get that N**e soon). I still use Nebula compressors as much as possible as they really do something to the "vibe" of the track that I really love.

Really, I only use UAD compressors when I absolutely NEED fast-action compression. Even if I use a UAD compressor, I'll throw the Nebula mojo over the top (or in the case of the S*L buss comp, put the Nebula version after with no compression for the mojo).
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:17 am

I'd demo the IK (Custom Shop) 1176, LA-2A and 670 instead. Especially with a Nebula front end for the sound of the circuit path (which exists for all of the above-mentioned compressors) they're pretty serviceable. I don't own any UAD cards but none of the times I've used one has it blown me away (not that it was bad, with a Nebula front end I'm sure it's quite serviceable too).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:49 am

Well, yeah, this is it - fast compression only. Demoed 76D - with slow attack and little GR (about 2-4(MAX)dB) it has very sweet and close to hardware sound. And yeah again, HiFreqs is much clearer and pleasant, than IK or UAD.
I've listened to demos-comparsion between hardware and IK - and difference is HUUGE. Well, UAD seems to me not perfect either. I'll try demo of IK+HO Mojo and decide.
Some words about Softube FET? On GS there are many positive reviews. Maybe almost identical as UAD ones. With La2a and La3a situation more complex.. Maybe i should really stick to some UAD Duo or Quad Custom + Teletronix, 1176 collections and 33609 bundles (i think this is more than enough) and use Nebula as mojo, or juuuust add a little compression with it after UAD..
Just interesting to hear real users opinions.
Melon_Jack

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:I've listened to demos-comparsion between hardware and IK - and difference is HUUGE. Well, UAD seems to me not perfect either. I'll try demo of IK+HO Mojo and decide..

Of course; but that's not any different than comparing any algo compressor to an all time classic hardware unit. If you need that kind of fidelity to the original unit then hardware is the way to go. If you just need a serviceable fast attack compressor or two to cover some niches then there are plenty of serviceable choices.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Well, it's all about tone. I didn't like the tone that IK and UAD gives. But UAD seems to compress more carefully and closer to original. And here comes the Nebula with Line Amp program for THIS tone i'm after.
About original hardware - well, DIY Kit is not so expensive, but one comp is not an option..
If only i can hear examples of UAD 1176 and LA2A with Nebula tone program and w/o there will be much sense.
Melon_Jack

Postby zabukowski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Regarding LA-2A and 1167LN stuff, I like IK Multimedia versions more than Waves or original UAD plugins. They sound actually VERY good IMHO.

As an owner of UAD, I haven't tried new UA versions of mentioned plugins, yet - they are very highly rated, though.

On the other hand, I would strongly recommend you to try PSP dynamics stuff (Vintage Warmer, MixPressor, BussPressor, MasterComp, OldTimer(ME) and Xenon (limiter)) - you'll be amazed!!!!

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks!
IK make vocals sound darker and dull =// It's not so transparent, as i want to.. And i dunno how it will be with HO LA2A mojo.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho ... la-2a.html
I've tryed to compress vocals from this thread with 76D demo and result was been much better, than IK except one thing - randomly impacted lows which sounded like overloaded peaks, not so pleasant.
Melon_Jack

Postby elam » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Like Ngarjuna and Zabukovski I like the IK LA2A better than waves and UAD

[quote="Melon_Jack"]IK make vocals sound darker and dull [/quote. The hardware is not really bright either.

Try to check the Cakewalk and Native Instruments LA2A too they have interesting functions and do what they supposed too.The NI bundle (LA2A+1176+160)is definitely less expensive than UAD and will do the same job.With the integrated sidechain they sound nice.

As Ngarjuna said there's so much options for those compressors emulation and a lot of them are free... (for the 2254/670 try Molot,it's a beast,etc...)
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:51 pm

elam wrote:2254/670 try Molot,it's a beast,etc...)

Molot is really unique and awesome.

For an 1176-esque compressor you could also demo Stillwell's Rocket. It's pretty good in that task.

Another really good one that's not an emulation of anything specific is the DC8C by Klanghelm. It has a really wide range and serious granular configurability (including knee shaping, program dependent attack and release, rms window, feedback). It's capable of being pretty clean.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Other things