Login

Not exactly a third party library...

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: Not exactly a third party library...

Postby yr » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:40 pm

I understand, but you can't draw conclusions about the way this plugin responds to dynamics under normal conditions by overloading it on purpose.
I just did a similar test for fun- took a 0dBFS sine wav, boosted it by 18db and fed it into a Nebula EQ. The meters in Wavelab show +59.1dBFS.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mertayy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:29 am

yr wrote:I understand, but you can't draw conclusions about the way this plugin responds to dynamics under normal conditions by overloading it on purpose.

But why not? with buddle vst analyzer, the moment I open it shows -1 db from 20 hz to 1 khz and gently drops to a little less then -2 db from 1 khz to 20 khz. Other clean eq's show 0 db.

By the way, I'm not sharing my findings as argumentative with you. I read posts like -finally normal eq's are getting to nebula quality...on various forums and I must say I disagree with that. I mean such comments (to me) refers to as if technological advances but with this simply test to me it isn't.
mertayy

Postby highvoltage » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:18 pm

you really should test it with the valve turned off. I bet it won't change your levels. I think psp's stuff have way too much saturation by default, and i mostly like it turned off, cause its this blurry kind of saturation on transients that i associate with digital sound.
highvoltage

Postby mathias » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:04 am

@mertavy
By the way, I'm not sharing my findings as argumentative with you.

you put it in here, so you get comments, that's life. :lol:

if you would test some of AlexBs eq-librarys, the way you supposed, they would just sound like crap and you would never buy it.
when a developer incorporates something like a modelled tube stage, which refers to hardware, it is always meant to work on realworld levels.
there is no doubt, that it influences dynamics, but when used with the right levels, it may suit your needs, otherwise turn it off!

i would suggest to test equalizers on their pre/post-ringing, which tells something about their sound (vst-analyzer with a chainer, put a delay before nebula, choose an eq and watch in the time-domain).
or do it by ear, which tells you a lot about its sound :lol: .

have fun,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:18 am

mertayy wrote: I read posts like -finally normal eq's are getting to nebula quality...on various forums and I must say I disagree with that. I mean such comments (to me) refers to as if technological advances but with this simply test to me it isn't.

I may sound like a broken record (that's like a skipping or stuck CD to all of you that are too young to know vinyl :D ), but so what if the NobleQ behaves like Nebula or doesn't. If it sounds good to someone and is a great tool for them, then guess what?? It sounds good to them and it's a great tool! Art is what it is, and artists find whatever works and make art with those findings. I've heard amazing music made with very low spec tools, and total garbage made at Paisley Park.... go figure.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:34 pm

Gottta agree with that. Music is art. :P
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby mertayy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 am

highvoltage wrote:you really should test it with the valve turned off. I bet it won't change your levels. I think psp's stuff have way too much saturation by default, and i mostly like it turned off, cause its this blurry kind of saturation on transients that i associate with digital sound.

Ah, exactly what I was trying to point out: "that kind of saturation", like I also dislike VCC sound (though I never installed it, only listened to many demo's shared on forums.
mertayy

Postby mertayy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:02 am

mathias wrote:@mertavy
By the way, I'm not sharing my findings as argumentative with you.

you put it in here, so you get comments, that's life. :lol:

that worked out fine for me till now ;)

mathias wrote:if you would test some of AlexBs eq-librarys, the way you supposed, they would just sound like crap and you would never buy it.
when a developer incorporates something like a modelled tube stage, which refers to hardware, it is always meant to work on realworld levels.
there is no doubt, that it influences dynamics, but when used with the right levels, it may suit your needs, otherwise turn it off!

i would suggest to test equalizers on their pre/post-ringing, which tells something about their sound (vst-analyzer with a chainer, put a delay before nebula, choose an eq and watch in the time-domain).
or do it by ear, which tells you a lot about its sound :lol: .

have fun,
mathias

I agree and will test, thanks :idea:
mertayy

Postby mertayy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:12 am

richie43 wrote:
mertayy wrote: I read posts like -finally normal eq's are getting to nebula quality...on various forums and I must say I disagree with that. I mean such comments (to me) refers to as if technological advances but with this simply test to me it isn't.

I may sound like a broken record (that's like a skipping or stuck CD to all of you that are too young to know vinyl :D ), but so what if the NobleQ behaves like Nebula or doesn't. If it sounds good to someone and is a great tool for them, then guess what?? It sounds good to them and it's a great tool! Art is what it is, and artists find whatever works and make art with those findings. I've heard amazing music made with very low spec tools, and total garbage made at Paisley Park.... go figure.

Sure there's nothing not to agree about this, but here and right now this eq is still considered new and experience will tell if it will be used as much as today. Such experience that we don't have with this tool yet (like one can still find me recommending spitfish as good freeware on forums).

Though rather then wait and work to have an idea, its fun to criticize and share findings...since nothing is perfect.
mertayy

Postby richie43 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 am

mertayy wrote:Sure there's nothing not to agree about this, but here and right now this eq is still considered new and experience will tell if it will be used as much as today. Such experience that we don't have with this tool yet (like one can still find me recommending spitfish as good freeware on forums).

Though rather then wait and work to have an idea, its fun to criticize and share findings...since nothing is perfect.

I actually agree with you 100%. I regret using your quote to make a point, I wasn't attacking you. I just was trying to encourage artists to not worry so much about comparisons, detailed frequency tests, whether something is "realistic" or not. If it adds something to a song that the artist feels is valuable, then it is an awesome tool, even if it actually limits dynamics, adds unusual distortion, isn't like the real whatever it is emulating.....
Can you imagine modern rock guitar in this day and age, for instance, if musicians made fun of Hendrix and that "awful fuzzy sounding noisy pedal" he used, or that stupid idea of running a guitar signal through a big rotating speaker that was designed for an organ (no way) (gasp)? Funny thought, huh?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Other things