Login

all the instruments at the same virtual room

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

all the instruments at the same virtual room

Postby babiuk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 pm

This is a strange question but maybe one of you can help me.
I don´t remember if I read a topic here or in another forum, but it´s something related to using the room ambience simulation from one VST drum instrument (I´m not sure if it´s VST Abbeyroad drums or another one) for wetting the rest of instruments in order to emulate a session with all the instruments at the same room.
I don´t know if this is posiible (to use the room sound from drum vst) but I'd thank you if you could light me or if you know any advice to share a room sound from a vst in order to get all the insturments in the same room for getting a "virtual" recording session.

Thanks in advance
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: all the instruments at the same virtual room

Postby richie43 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 am

I remember the post you are talking about, I remember it as being about Addictive Drums, which I also own. I don't see a way to route outside audio "through" the virtual room because it is processing internal midi data, not audio. But you can get the same results quite easily with Nebula and rethinking this the other way around, which I do. I mute or at least drastically reduce the room mic in AD, and send the individual drum tracks to a Nebula room of my choice. Then I send any of the tracks I wish to be in that room to the same Nebula preset and play with the send levels until it sounds natural. This has been an awesome way to get a project to sound like it was all preformed together in the same space. I use Reaper, and routing and send/receive level adjustments are very easy.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby babiuk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks a lot. I do think the same, it cannot be possible to pass an audio file through Addictive or other vsti virtual room , but anyway I'm wondering about it because the mentioned post and because the technology is growing in giant steps lately. I'd like to get that post again to see the member who was telling about it and asking him.

In other line, Richie,thanks for your advice in how you do it, but what are you meaning when you say you send to nebula's rooms of your choice?
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:46 pm

I mean I send any instrument that I want to be in the same "room" to a various Nebula preset as a send channel (all wet). I may use a room preset, an ambient preset, maybe even a stereo widener preset, or a hall reverb, or a canyon, or.... a preset that emulates whatever space or room I am trying to make the project sound like it is in. In fact, sometimes the preset is an emulation of a better studio! To be honest, although I use Nebula for 90% of those instances, I use the same technique using an algo verb occasionally. Does that make more sense?
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby babiuk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm

OK, it´s the way I do it too. I asked because when you said "a nebula room of my choive" I thought a set of programs I didn´t know oriented in this kind of tasks, but I can see that you meant programs of reverbs sampled in spaces. Doing the proccess in that way sounds fine but I was more oriented into being able to putting mics and sources in positions of my choices.
I tried Room Hunters and it sounds very good, but it does not allows you to do that.

I tried Altiverb6 and I can see that you have a few rooms were you can select graphically the position of the sources and it´s fine, but you are stuck to the mic fixed positions so you can not create a setup of a complete recording session.

I´m trying to get that workflow because I´d like to play with this kind of doing the recordings (virtually for me) so many years ago, using the placements of sources for mixing directly and getting a few mics with leakage(positioning allows to play with that leakage) of every instruments. Think a session of Motown or Spector.

Anyway all ideas are welcome
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 pm

You can do that, but not with one instance of a vst or Nebula. But you can do a very convincing job combining multiple instances of, for example, one of the Room Hunters presets and a surround emulation plug like reasurround in Reaper.
Last edited by richie43 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby babiuk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:19 am

Yes, I'll try this way, I never used surround stuff but I'll take a look.
Thanks again
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Other things