Login

Rupert N**e Portico EQ Plugin

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Rupert N**e Portico EQ Plugin

Postby Henry Olonga » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:20 pm

http://www.henryolonga.net/RUPERT_Neve_Plugin_TEST.zip

Just did a quick and unscientific shoot out between AlexB's MWeq against the super expensive new release by Steinberg.All of this is subjective of course and what I call nice may be another's poison.

The coding is exceptional and those Yamaha tech heads know how to make good algorithms. It was Close close close.

I have one portico 5033 and of course passing audio through even just with the bands engaged is an experience and I use it exclusively for vocals at mixdown.

My subjective feelings as far as ratings go are that obviously first is the Hardware - then Alexb's version, then the plugin. I also did a quick shootout with Q-clone and the plug and q-clone were similiar although Q-clone gave a less zippy high end. The low end was much nicer with Q-clone as well.

After all has been said and done - Alexb's rocks and is a fraction of the price. If people knew more about Nebula they wouldn't shell out close to half the value of the harwdare for a plug. It does have a couple of advantages though - the plugin is CPU light and has all the bands available at once.

Guess if you want clean transparent then the plugin will make you very, very happy .........and a little poorer. If you want a little more warmth, depth and less clinical - Nebula.

Just my two cents but perhaps others may wish to chime in. :D
Last edited by Henry Olonga on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Re: Rupert N**e Portico EQ Plugin

Postby himhui » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 pm

HE-MAN, Thanks for your review!!
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby nino » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:18 pm

I was wondering about this new plug and its great to have it reviewed by someone who has all variables.
Thank you and I'll stick to Nebula and 3rd party devs.
nino
User Level X
User Level X

Postby biomuse » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Agreed. Interesting to note that in the comparison discussions on Gearslutz, the "next-closest thing" was always either Nebula or Duende X-EQ, even if the Steinberg plug was considered to have "won."

The current pricing on those plugs is a joke, truly. I consider it an opening bid and a prestige move - they'll have to drop the price in order to correspond to reality somewhat before long. Since Nebula is so close, they'll have to drop it pretty damn far to get my interest.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby cps418 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:50 pm

I have not heard the portico plug in, but I do say from past experience when a new "close to" type of plugin comes out it always gets rave reviews until the smoke clears, and people start to zero in on what is still lacking. For instance, duende was always prized as the 9000 king, until Alex's 9000 came out. And it became clear to us non 9000 owners, what we should really be hearing. In my opinion I think these plastic "close to" plugs still lack the zing, or spirit of the hardware. Harmonic distortion.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:20 am

biomuse wrote:Agreed. Interesting to note that in the comparison discussions on Gearslutz, the "next-closest thing" was always either Nebula or Duende X-EQ, even if the Steinberg plug was considered to have "won."

The current pricing on those plugs is a joke, truly. I consider it an opening bid and a prestige move - they'll have to drop the price in order to correspond to reality somewhat before long. Since Nebula is so close, they'll have to drop it pretty damn far to get my interest.

if you think the new eq is great for somewhat reason, remember you could sample it.... there is the limitation of the single parametric band at once, but at the end of the day you have it and it's legal... I'm not sure they are modeling harmonic distortion, and in which way ;)
On the other side nebula is getting really powerful. Faster, optimized, and with the option of a custom gui... and computers are faster too. And there is a big library now...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby biomuse » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 am

giancarlo wrote:On the other side nebula is getting really powerful. Faster, optimized, and with the option of a custom gui... and computers are faster too. And there is a big library now...

Exactly. For the current price of those plugins, I could own more than half of the entire available released content for Nebula and have huge variety on hand.

Since people whose ears I respect find Nebula to be at least in close competition with this new EQ plugin, this is not a difficult decision.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby faun2500 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:05 am

3 reasons I wouldn't even consider them are:

1. The price is a fucking joke!
2. The GUI looks crap.
3. They are by Steinberg (greedy wankers)

When I saw the price I laughed so hard, and then felt sad for the people who might by them... :roll:
Last edited by faun2500 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby blandry » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 am

Some folks will like it...smells like the vcc trap I got into...
blandry
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby fuzzydude » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:56 pm

I've not got the 5033 hardware to compare with but have got the Steiny Portico demo plugs and I much prefer AlexB's MWeq
fuzzydude
User Level 0
User Level 0

Next

Return to Other things