Login

Gearslutz...again...

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Gearslutz...again...

Postby mertayy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Seriously, I had enough of it...whatever released for Nebula gets meaningless attacks all the time there.

A tape emulation is released; a mod. writes that the hardware sucks, its name should be different and loving the hype bla bla...without even trying the release.

Consoles and tapes are some-what new or "exiting" to people today while we've used them for years and now we're the ones following the hype?

Studio owners I knew kept secret on forums and to their competitors about using nebula so they benefit the sound they could get when I was new around here...

Screw audio forums, I believe a better online newsletter system would bring way more benefit for everybody.
mertayy

Re: Gearslutz...again...

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:20 pm

I reported it. I think it's totally uncalled for when a mod disparages a product on GS that he admits he has never even tried.

If he had simply said "I never liked the 810, I have no idea why someone would sample it," or something like that, fine, that's totally valid. But that's not at all how it went down.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby mertayy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Well done, though I wouldn't expect much from it. Giancarlo was banned from there for no apparent reason sometime ago...
mertayy

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 pm

mertayy wrote:Well done, though I wouldn't expect much from it. Giancarlo was banned from there for no apparent reason sometime ago...

Wow, I did not know that.

I wrote this in a thread a while ago, it sums up my love/hate for GS:

Gearslutz is a real love hate thing for me.

On one hand, if I am looking to buy a piece of hardware or software, it's a great opportunity to read many (sometimes dozens) of reviews and comparisons, often by people who are using them in "working" conditions (I avoid using the word professional because, for the most part, you never really know who you're dealing with). I find that searching Gearslutz is a great way to evaluate products.

On the other hand, actually reading threads there is enough to make you lose hope in humanity. Petty non-working has beens taking pot shots at prominent names; gear pimps using vitriol, sarcasm and snark to sell some products and assassinate others; daily threads about how sad it is that the entitlement hungry "industry" is "dying" because now Wesley Willis' former drummer cannot afford his private jet and coke habit; wildly impossible claims based on pseudoscience; rigged listening tests; name dropping at its worst; using an Emmy/grammy (in set design) to justify one's opinion on audio science; and at least 3 threads a day asking which preamp to use with an SM-7 on male rap vocals.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby mertayy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 pm

ngarjuna wrote:On the other hand, actually reading threads there is enough to make you lose hope in humanity.
[/quote]

ehehhe you're not alone :lol:

Its not like I take everything serious there but even then when I notice crap like that it gets to me.

Its not about the product or company either, for example I simply dislike waves as company but never posted anything in such manner.

I'd like to see this forum evolve rather than that one. Sure its not always smiles and candy here too but at least there is some respect to one another as person.
mertayy

Postby Arne » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:49 pm

I posted there for the first time a couple of days ago in the 4KD PRO thread and was immediate attacked. After reading some threads over there I found the culture, which the mods have allowed to evolve, aggressive, none constructive and at times a bit odd.

I do not think it will change before admins and mods take actions to maintain or regain some discipline. I hope they read this.
Arne
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby futur2 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 am

mertayy wrote:Seriously, I had enough of it...whatever released for Nebula gets meaningless attacks all the time there.

A tape emulation is released; a mod. writes that the hardware sucks, its name should be different and loving the hype bla bla...without even trying the release.

Consoles and tapes are some-what new or "exiting" to people today while we've used them for years and now we're the ones following the hype?

Studio owners I knew kept secret on forums and to their competitors about using nebula so they benefit the sound they could get when I was new around here...

Screw audio forums, I believe a better online newsletter system would bring way more benefit for everybody.

george the "moderator" is a dumbfuck, always been, always will be...
futur2

Postby yr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:03 am

What I find most bothering about it (other then the general impudence) is the hidden commercial agenda many of the posters seem to have. It's becoming more and more difficult to say which opinions are actually based on real experience.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby himhui » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:34 am

Remember, GS is a Zoo.... :lol:
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:04 am

Got to agree that there are some right dick heads on there.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to Other things