Login

Anyone Using Waves MPX?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Anyone Using Waves MPX?

Postby sfunk » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:20 pm

I have it but havent spent time using it. Just put in on a mix. Like some of what it does. Has anyone spent time with this?
sfunk

Re: Anyone Using Waves MPX?

Postby dagovitsj » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi!
Sorry, I don't own it yet. I'm considering MPX and/or CDsoundmaster R2R, but I don't know if they can do the same thing or if the R2R is more versatile etc?

Seems like a lot of people at gearslutz are satisfied with this plugin from waves, but I would hear what the Nebula-users out there think, as I already has purchased Nebula 3 Pro and I'm very satisfied with the eq's and reverb.

Can anyone share some thoughts/experience on this?
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cpwade » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 am

R2R is far better in my humble opinion. MPX interesting (yawn) compression style. R2R killer harmonics, rounding and space, the rear wall of the mix drops back if that makes sense. The real deal. I'm suited to comment because I own both.

cheers.
cpwade

Postby faun2500 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 am

I haven't (and wouldn't) used it myself. But I can tell you. R2R is wicked!

You get tape compression, saturation, 'tape sound' and hiss!

It's all there baby! One of the best Neb libraries imo.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:36 pm

I haven't used it but the demo audio I've heard of the MPX isn't bad at all.

However, it's apples and oranges in comparison to the R2R library: MPX is a single Ampex deck (the 350/351 series is mostly famed for having an interesting distortion characteristic when overdriven; it was a 50s/60s machine I believe and my understanding is that most of the decks themselves are in a landfill with most of the interest in that series being in the preamps which are still often traded and talked about; I doubt the Ampex engineers would consider it 'mastering' deck as they were pretty into fidelity). That's it, it's a one trick pony. I also have yet to hear anyone really overdriving the MPX (and, if it's anything like digital amp sims and tube emus, I wouldn't expect all that much). But the samples I heard seemed like it would be quite usable.

With R2R you get a large format deck, several small format decks (ranging from professional to prosumer to consumer) and a couple of vintage machines that cover an unbelievable amount of variation in old-timey sound.

Plus, CDSoundmaster's three stage solution (R2R [machine/tape sound] -> TB+[saturation gain/frequencies] -> VTM-M2[saturation compression]) is simply the most realistic sounding tape emulation I've yet checked out.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:37 am

Hi!
Thanks all for your input. Seems like I really have to check out R2R then.

I purchased Nebula 3 Pro in December 2010 and purchased the eq pack from analoginthebox and it was a very special moment when I first started to tweak an acoustic guitar track: I just had this feeling of "Yes, now I don't have to search the web for another plugin, this is it, it's just another world, kind of relief...!"

Very interesting if this R2R-pack is glueing things together; with the eq's from analoginthebox I just experienced that my tracks suddenly melted together in a new way never experienced before.

Enough rambling, just glad I found Nebula and that this technology is made available for a very reasonable price. Thanks to all the hard working people.
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to Other things