Login

New and affordable Console Emulation?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: New and affordable Console Emulation?

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 08, 2011 3:28 pm

miro wrote:You should actually hear them! The filters are AMAZING!

Yeah, I've had a chance to play with the whole thing, it's a nice plugin, for sure. Those filters will get some use.

As far as the console sound goes, it seems not bad at all. I suppose I have a new flavor of console in the house. But with MBC, MWC, VBC, TNT, Globe, CLC, BBC, Bogen in the house...it's got a fair amount of competition!

Plus the advantage of its low CPU consumption is sort of lost on me: I'll have to compulsively render anyway to facilitate the tape emulation. So for my workflow (which is heavily Nebulized anyway) a CPU-lighter console program doesn't change much for me; that's not a diss on Sonimus (it is actually fairly light), I'm sure it's a big deal to others.

The only thing I would 'complain' about (it's not really a complaint, more a hope I had that did't pan out) is that it's CPU-lighter but it still pops and crackles in meter-only mode at less than 256 sample buffer. That's not a deal breaker (many Nebula programs do the same) and my computer's age is for sure part of the equation here (just on the cusp of a new one as I get ready for Neb Server) but I was hoping the filters/meters would work in low latency situations. Thankfully the Naiant Studios VU meters seem to do pretty well when I need one during tracking/recording (and have been updated to a version 3 which seems less buggy than the old version; if only they were resizable!).

Totally off topic but if someone were to make a comprehensive VU meter plugin (with several different meter designs/types and a variety of calibration options) that was resizable and wasn't too expensive I think they'd have a monster hit on their hands. Many of us still pine for our old needle meters. I thought the guys from PPMulatorPlus would add it to theirs (it seems so obvious to me) but they sold out to Zplane (not sure they're doing any development).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby sfunk » Sun May 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Re the low cpu load. I have to say i mixed my first album for a client with Nebula a while back and while it sounded very good for the time it took to render out everything if i were to mix it now i'd thrown UAD Studer on all the channels and Satsun and not have to waste render time.
For my own mixes i'll probably end up mixing and matching or using just Nebula still. I may even render out R2R and MBC and then use some saturation from Satsun
sfunk

Postby farjedi » Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 pm

I think it compliments Nebula well, and is capable of extra bite when needed that Neb can't do yet. I think the great thing about it is it gets you a pleasing sound ITB and you can mix without having to break flow and render.
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Martinez » Tue May 17, 2011 1:47 am

So You guys who have played with Satson, just how nice are those filters, how do they say compare with the filters in the CLeq library?

I use the CLeq filters all the time but it's a bit of a pain so these would really save time but I'm not about to use something of reduced sound quality just because of convenience.

Cheers!
Martinez

Postby farjedi » Tue May 17, 2011 8:27 am

They filters are nice, really smooth and pleasant sounding.
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Previous

Return to Other things