Login

New and affordable Console Emulation?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

Re: New and affordable Console Emulation?

Postby sfunk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Thats true but engineers dont make music. Also we shouldnt forget that this is down to conditioning for some of us. We have been conditioned through repeated listening of analogue recordings to "like" that sound and all of us are actively seeking it out.
sfunk

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:01 pm

sfunk wrote:Thats true but engineers dont make music. Also we shouldnt forget that this is down to conditioning for some of us. We have been conditioned through repeated listening of analogue recordings to "like" that sound and all of us are actively seeking it out.

Absolutely; that and the fact that gear is still essentially designed based on the old analog paradigms (for similar reasons) means that we're continually chasing that dragon.

Personally I go for that sound 100% of the time when I'm mixing; as you said, it's what I know, it's what records sound like to me. But I'm convinced that if the guys who designed the Bogen could get their hands on my MOTU interface they would seriously laugh at us for using the Bogen samples.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby ericus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 pm

I guess we'll have to wait until May 6th to find out, the dev added new things...The thread about SatSon really got strange at KVR... :ugeek:
ericus

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:12 pm

VCC and SatSon are great. Tools to have fun with while mixing and driving channels to add movement to elements, they worth every penny, imo. Pretty exciting and cool stuff, I love them because they expand my toolbox and I can mix a song with them in no time and get good results.

BUT, if you want depth, definition and punch: look somewhere else... Nebula :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sfunk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:16 am

Mercado. I have noticed you posting in VCC and Satson threads which sort of surprised me as i assume you use Alexs consoles. Do they compare to Alexs libraries? What are the pros and cons apart from the lower CPU hit. Have you used them with Alexs libraries for the saturation?
sfunk

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:52 pm

sfunk wrote:Mercado. I have noticed you posting in VCC and Satson threads which sort of surprised me as i assume you use Alexs consoles. Do they compare to Alexs libraries? What are the pros and cons apart from the lower CPU hit. Have you used them with Alexs libraries for the saturation?

I've done comparisons and AlexB's consoles win by a mile, no doubt. I can't get that Top Class A+ sound with SatSon or VCC, there's a lack of depth, definition and punch (though SatSon wins on punch over VCC when comparing the Brit 4k Discrete since it is a bit more aggressive). When I say Top Class A I mean something like comparing diamonds and gold, both are great but one of them shines more, no doubt :)

The Modern Logic Console is still my favorite console and I really doubt something will ever replace it in digital form :)

Do VCC and SatSon work and worth it? Yes, definitely. Why? Simple, low CPU usage + good results + faster mixes = more happy and satisfied clients :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sfunk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:
sfunk wrote:Mercado. I have noticed you posting in VCC and Satson threads which sort of surprised me as i assume you use Alexs consoles. Do they compare to Alexs libraries? What are the pros and cons apart from the lower CPU hit. Have you used them with Alexs libraries for the saturation?

I've done comparisons and AlexB's consoles win by a mile, no doubt. I can't get that Top Class A+ sound with SatSon or VCC, there's a lack of depth, definition and punch (though SatSon wins on punch over VCC when comparing the Brit 4k Discrete since it is a bit more aggressive). When I say Top Class A I mean something like comparing diamonds and gold, both are great but one of them shines more, no doubt :)

The Modern Logic Console is still my favorite console and I really doubt something will ever replace it in digital form :)

Do VCC and SatSon work and worth it? Yes, definitely. Why? Simple, low CPU usage + good results + faster mixes = more happy and satisfied clients :)

Cool thanks for the reply. I have VBC, MBC and MLC, love the sound and dont mind spending the time to render............so for someone in my position i assume you are saying i am best to stay where i am?
I think i will get Satson as its so inexpensive and just for the VUs.
sfunk

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:59 am

sfunk wrote:Cool thanks for the reply. I have VBC, MBC and MLC, love the sound and dont mind spending the time to render............so for someone in my position i assume you are saying i am best to stay where i am?
I think i will get Satson as its so inexpensive and just for the VUs.

Yeah, in your position I'd rather spend more on libraries for Nebula (and/or Nebula Server).

SatSon is a gem, I really love that plug-in. Diego spent a lot of time on it, tunning it by ear, making VU meters, etc., etc. I use it with VCC all the time; some things work with it while others work with VCC, I'm glad I got them both to be honest BUT the reality is I would mix with Nebula ONLY if I had the horsepower to run everything I need without losing time rendering (which is actually not a BIG problem but I really hate to stop for a few minutes and lose the 'vibe' of my work, if you catch my drift :) )
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sfunk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Geezz I have to say the Satson thread on GS took a seriously weird turn when that Feck guy posted. Well said Miro. He obviously uses VCC as he used to post all the time in the VCC threads but then pipes up in the Satson thread saying he has concerns about putting a plugin on each and every track. Something doesnt quite add up :lol:
Strange how compyfox derailed the Satson thread on KVR and hes also very vocal in VCC threads......

A
sfunk

Postby giancarlo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 am

updates
* soon we'll post a new nebula version which features a new meter engine (with a proper vu mode). Than it will be only a matter of skin developement
* compyfox will help us testing new cuda engine

about feck, compyfox: nothing strange if they were already involved in betatesting or trying a product and they are now checking carefully further choices like this one. It's perfectly human, after you have spent some time/money on a product.

I think satson has a nice price tag, and it will not be alone, a lot of console products with nice price tags and workflows will be delivered. Personally I agree with many posts here, a console plugin helps for a 1-10% of the finished song, not more. It's not a magic tool and it's easily lost in the new mp3/mp4/flv standard broadcasting format. It's useful if you are completely ITB and you are looking for a more OTB sound, or if you are a purist. Our 3rd party developers will continue delivering high-end emulations, with a pedigree as usually (you'll know exactly what was sampled and in which way), because this is the difference between a "carefully tuned by ear algo" and something which is valuable for the future when hardware consoles will not be available any more. What's stored in our N2V files is something which could be even be played in a better way, when better morphing engines will be available, but it's an accurate ASSESSMENT of something real, and here it's important the sampling process, converters and tuning of the gear itself (for example tube/transistor replacement and fix).
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Other things