Login

New and affordable Console Emulation?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..

New and affordable Console Emulation?

Postby ericus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:33 pm

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/602503-sonimus-satson-console-emulation.html

Who knows? Could be very good...Pylorca did a nice EQ before called "SonEQ"...and it is free.
ericus

Re: New and affordable Console Emulation?

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Let's see.
It seems like console emulation is a new trend.

Not speaking about this specific one, but here my opinion on new releases in general: it doesn't matter "what" but "how". There are many plugins around, but at the end of the day you should choose "what" one is the best for you. For example there are many eq around... many compressors... now many consoles... As soon as a new software is out everything seems good, sometimes even a perfect replacement of this or that, after a while you discover that something is still missing. Someone told me that eq shipped with daw were perfect, it happened in 1997. We are still improving eq emulations in 2011.

About this specific pylorca release: I'm very happy because when something else is released, than nebula is re-discovered again, like the cold water. Even the cpu usage (which is still a trouble for nebula) is improving and improving every day, cause the moore law and our developements. I know that we are archiving an huge library, and soon everyone will not be distracted by our cpu usage and will test things just comparing sound and accuracy (which in my opinion is a pedigree and a guarantee, otherwise every possible swap of bits would do the trick).

Just a side note: I can't hide that I prefer so much the pylorca attitude (compared with..), this is not a secret for anyone.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Satson is 3 products in one:
1. Metering and trim.
2. High quality filters
3. Saturation and crosstalk.

I'm not terribly interested in 2/3 but I would shell out $40 for a really nice VU meter (an actual VU sim as opposed to the wide variety of peak and RMS meters out there), which it sounds like this is. Now I'm curious if you can use just the meter (and bypass any of the audio processing).

ETA: You can indeed disable the processing and just use the meters. Neat.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Mimi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 pm

another console plugin...
will become epidemic... imagine in a few days..."Waves classics consoles plugins"... with a true 3D sound...$ 2500 Dollares. :o
I'll take vaccines against viral epidemic... :mrgreen:
Mimi

Postby giancarlo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:34 am

ok, about metering keep me updated, I don't have time for checking it but it's interesting. In their implementation they are using the same timings of us (300 ms attack, 300 ms release), if you find discrepancies of values just report us.

Report with nebula and even with acquavox (I know that someone reported acquavox vu meter issues, it's the time for fixing them). At the moment we are using only 20 frames for vu meters (a limitation of the gui engine), but we'll modify this limit (it's a request coming from gravitylinks). He asked also a needle which "rotates" instead of being a picture.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mertayy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Pylorca eq is very good and though I didn't test yet, I'm sure the console emulation will be good too.

What I (still) don't understand is this attention to console emulations. I mean, add subtle color to every channel-you get console effect.

Before Nebula consoles, there were preamp emulations and interest was very limited(usage was pretty much the same;place anything on master-out and you get a "sound").

Then Nebula consoles came out and attention still not like today until this idea was replicated by others.

(back to preamp emulations) You see marketing is basically everything today. You take an extremely basic concept, place nice words and sell the same thing.

I don't believe most people are buying the sound these days, only a hope for simple solutions and they will never find the right answer.

rant over... :D
mertayy

Postby Martinez » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 pm

giancarlo wrote:
Someone told me that eq shipped with daw were perfect, it happened in 1997. We are still improving eq emulations in 2011.

Hey Giancarlo I think that for the most part digital eqs are pretty good but I think that most developers of such products are fighting a loosing battle.

It seems to Me that no matter how good the eq is, You're still going to eqing something that has be recorded on a format that is extremely unkind to the ear.

The Nebula eqs are fantastic and I'm having an absolute ball with them in a way that I never did with emulations but no matter how good the eq is they still only accentuate whats there.

Digital is a crap recording format!
That's why we've gotta try and smother it with saturation and consoles and anything else We can get our hands on.
Martinez

Postby Mimi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:33 pm

I like your point of view radical, my friend...
Digital recording is very transparent is how to measure Mount Everest in 24Bits with precision of 1/2 inch...
But not has depth... Is flat as a sheet of paper
the sound Digital is crap
the analog is very deep and rich in harmonics with high frequencies beautiful...
The nebula is very analog and powerful.
Mimi

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:37 pm

martinez wrote:
giancarlo wrote:

It's not crap, it's just not exciting; of character. That's why we want to add saturation, distortion, etc. These ideas of "depth" and what have you are psychoacoustic. Digital does not lack any of these things, it just doesn't add a nonlinearity to create these perceptions. As a contranian, I must say Digital is a far more superior format. As digital processing become more and more accurate in the analog character department what you have then is an environment of controlled aesthetics. Digital gives you your linearity: what you put in is what you get. The added "colors" from processing we can then shape our sounds with full control rather than relegating the fate of the audio to analog system discrepencies. That's the main reason why I work entirely in the box now.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:20 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:
martinez wrote:
giancarlo wrote:

It's not crap, it's just not exciting; of character. That's why we want to add saturation, distortion, etc. These ideas of "depth" and what have you are psychoacoustic. Digital does not lack any of these things, it just doesn't add a nonlinearity to create these perceptions. As a contranian, I must say Digital is a far more superior format. As digital processing become more and more accurate in the analog character department what you have then is an environment of controlled aesthetics. Digital gives you your linearity: what you put in is what you get. The added "colors" from processing we can then shape our sounds with full control rather than relegating the fate of the audio to analog system discrepencies. That's the main reason why I work entirely in the box now.

+1

For years engineers did everything they could to minimize the noise and character of analog systems; if they knew we had a seriously quiet system and still bellyached for the old loud, non-linear stuff (or thought digital was crap) they would never stop laughing.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Other things