Login

Ultramarine 3, speculations

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine 3, speculations

Postby russianpolecat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:58 pm

ceemusic wrote:Just open the original UM folder in your dashboard. You'll find UM3 plus any previous versions.
Thanks, got it :)
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Ultramarine 3, speculations

Postby kenbobplus3db » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:28 pm

Brian wrote:
giancarlo wrote:Variable knee: not possible without using samples from a different unit or a fake plugin (fake because it would but be that product any more but a plugin copy). The original hardware has a single knee, pretty hard (it is a limiter)

Actually, you can adjust the ratio/knee to an extent on the original unit (by trimmers inside).

This wouldn't be practical to sample though AFAIK, as you'd need to fully sample all time constants and input levels many many times over to capture the range of the knee. It would require constant adjustment of the threshold control when changing the knee/ratio behavior.

If only one wide-knee setup was sampled-- you could even sell it as a separate product (Ultraviolet-marine). One of the ways I love to use the hardware gear is by driving it continuously into gain reduction (0.5-1db) at a low ratio, and making up the gain on the back side-- it can make mids and low end sound incredibly fat. This is not possible with the hard knee.

I did wind up buying the Ultramarine3 in its present configuration. It sounds beautiful-- and I was halfway through an album with the demoware. ;)
kenbobplus3db
User Level II
User Level II

Previous

Return to Ultramarine