Login

Ultramarine 3, speculations

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine 3, speculations

Postby spunkmuffin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:02 am

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:please make that auth manager soon AA, it will increase you're sales :)

:!: +100% :!:
spunkmuffin
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby kenbobplus3db » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:27 pm

Ok, Just had my first time out with the trial.

I really like the sound of this Aqua plugin, but what would make it really functional to me would be the addition of a variable knee control. It goes from not much to too much gain reduction rather unpredictably.

The other feature I could really use is a l/r sidechain disconnect switch. (dual mono operation)

Sonically well done!
kenbobplus3db
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Use the SMOD function knob to alter attack.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:15 pm

kenbobplus3db wrote:Ok, Just had my first time out with the trial.

I really like the sound of this Aqua plugin, but what would make it really functional to me would be the addition of a variable knee control. It goes from not much to too much gain reduction rather unpredictably.

The other feature I could really use is a l/r sidechain disconnect switch. (dual mono operation)

Sonically well done!

sidechain is not linked. it is completely independent all the time, even when link mode is on.
the current design is two independent channels, either in l/r mode oder lat/vert (m/s) mode.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Variable knee: not possible without using samples from a different unit or a fake plugin (fake because it would but be that product any more but a plugin copy). The original hardware has a single knee, pretty hard (it is a limiter)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 am

I see around on forums there is a good reaction on the product - we received tons of messages and emails too!

An hint: our release constants are faster than the ones you find in several other plugs (and they differ a lot one from the other one). This was a surprise for me too, but we have proofs that the original unit is featuring something in the 50ms range. Time constants didn't change from ultramarine2, but the old technique was leading to a way slower release -this was the best technique possible for minimizing issues in the past (and compression was still troublesome)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby cj01djs » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:19 am

After all is a vari-mu style compressor and also the hw have some limitations in the time of the attack and release settings so it depends very much on the level of the input,threshold,time constant,sidechain filter and shmod.
With shmod you can change the reaction of the attack and if you choose time constant 1 is the fastest and you can play with sidechain filter to make it less sensible to the lows.
I saw on IGS Tubecore a modern approach on vari-mu style with the attack settings like on S*L bus compressor and also the release time and with the 2 settings of sidechain filter you can make that device to react faster but on Fairchild you can't do that because of the original design,but shmod helps a lot.
I was expected to be a little softer but you can make it to sound huge on drums and bass and to have an aggressive character.
On master bus what i like the best is the mid side capabilities where you can make a lot of things,you can compress the hell out on sides and you can have a huge stereo image that stays compact and also to pump the mid and to have all in ur face.

I didn't expected to like it so much and i will buy it today.

All the best for future releases and i wait the Sand and all the new capabilities of Core 9.
cj01djs
User Level II
User Level II

Postby mightymosaic » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Amazing compressor. Really sounds rich and thick. Hold everything in place with that analog vibe. one of the best if not the best ITB comp i have/tried. big step up from the last, Welcome to the future.
mightymosaic

Postby kenbobplus3db » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 am

I understand that the sidechains paths are completely independent. But,is there any way we could get the side chain filter controls to link when the C-Link button is selected? It's a bit redundant to have to set Left and right filters separately when all the other controls link.

Again, sonically this thing is beautiful! I'm deep into another project with the demoware and will have to buy this one too!
kenbobplus3db
User Level V
User Level V

Postby josephderac » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:14 am

Hi Giancarlo

I think the attack is a bit too fast for Mastering.... what will be the best setting for time constant in M/S mastering?
josephderac
User Level I
User Level I

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine