Login

Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Postby gussyg » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:39 am

ok the tone is there with the aqua comps ...but....but
the correlation between the tone/dynamics and knob functionality never seems right to me
when I play with attack, release, threshold, and ratio on an algo it's very apparent what's going on
there always seems to be a limited "sweet spot" with neb comp tech, and it takes ages to find it
YMMV :shock:
gussyg
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby owen_musician » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:27 pm

Disappointing release. I unfortunately own Titanium as well and agree with the other owners who say they rarely use it; at this juncture AA compressors are not good enough. And when you factor in this plugin is over 200 quid then I can't see many people buying this.
Giancarlo says he doesn't care if the products don't sell. That is probably just as well.

Having said that, I think Honey and Magenta are excellent.
owen_musician
User Level I
User Level I

Postby dennyhellbach » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:52 pm

I also want to say this: Maybe I'm just not good enough to use this comps the right way. That's certainly possible. And I think that HONEY is probably the best sounding EQ I've ever used. Great HPF and a must-buy for me in the next days... Keep up the great work, guys!
dennyhellbach
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ctechdx » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Well for all those that doesn´t like the ultramarine, I would say it´s really not a conventional stuff, that you will set up like a regular compressor plugin, but the sound... the tone is something that I cannot ignore. I did compare with all other 670 algo emulations I´ve got and the others are so linear, so boring, that certanly are far away to the real thing. But I think the point is not be exactly as the original unity, but how musical and usable the tool is... and for me the ultramarine enhanced every track on my mix, with just a subtle compression the track already come in front, gain an awesome tone and presence.

Then of course, it´s a personal taste... everyone has your opinion, but for me, working more than 20 years in the audio busines, ultramarine sounds way better than any compressor I ever tryed inside the box. A lot of people loves UAD plugins... I don´t... I think they have more marketing than sound, but this is just my opinion hehehe... for me the acustica´s guys are doing something revolutionary.

Keep up with the excelent work guys!
ctechdx
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:20 pm

ctechdx wrote:Well for all those that doesn´t like the ultramarine, I would say it´s really not a conventional stuff, that you will set up like a regular compressor plugin, but the sound... the tone is something that I cannot ignore. I did compare with all other 670 algo emulations I´ve got and the others are so linear, so boring, that certanly are far away to the real thing.

I think it sums it all. For a while stop comparing ultramarine to a "simple" compressor. It is a magic tool which moves the audio to a different level, it ACTS like an expensive and esoteric weapon. Few tracks are processed and it brings out the "soul", in a way no other emulations on the market are doing.
It is the exact purpose of a 670 unit, you would never use it for controlling peaks, but for adding a sparkle to the ITB music. Alone this tools removes the bounds between OTB and ITB. 240 eur are a bargain imho
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby spigon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:11 pm

giancarlo wrote:
ctechdx wrote:Well for all those that doesn´t like the ultramarine, I would say it´s really not a conventional stuff, that you will set up like a regular compressor plugin, but the sound... the tone is something that I cannot ignore. I did compare with all other 670 algo emulations I´ve got and the others are so linear, so boring, that certanly are far away to the real thing.

I think it sums it all. For a while stop comparing ultramarine to a "simple" compressor. It is a magic tool which moves the audio to a different level, it ACTS like an expensive and esoteric weapon. Few tracks are processed and it brings out the "soul", in a way no other emulations on the market are doing.
It is the exact purpose of a 670 unit, you would never use it for controlling peaks, but for adding a sparkle to the ITB music. Alone this tools removes the bounds between OTB and ITB. 240 eur are a bargain imho

Hey Giancarlo, does that mean this tools compressor characteristic E.G. curve and timing are not true to the real thing? If so, are you stating this is more of a mojo emulation in the grand scheme of things? Just asking to get a better idea of how I might use this plug in the future when I buy it.
spigon
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 pm

gussyg wrote:ok the tone is there with the aqua comps ...but....but
the correlation between the tone/dynamics and knob functionality never seems right to me
when I play with attack, release, threshold, and ratio on an algo it's very apparent what's going on
there always seems to be a limited "sweet spot" with neb comp tech, and it takes ages to find it

I have Murano, and totally agree. You put it on, and the weight of the mix is there. You want to "compress" as you would with the hardware, the thing goes unpredictable and unusable. So I put it on for the tone, and then some algo plugz. Something is obviously missing on those releases, as they are not "compressors", but "tone units". But let's never forget that on an La-2 for example, and I'm sure on a 670, the compression level affects the tone (listen to the piano on 'Lady Madonna", it is the 670 pushed harder than usual.) With Acqua stuff, so far, you have one static tone print, since you can't really set the compressors settings as freely as on hardware. But hey ! Those "tone units" are soooo gooood ! I compress with algo, and get the expensive tone with 200€ plugz. Works for me, and I'm sure it will get better in the future.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:
gussyg wrote:ok the tone is there with the aqua comps ...but....but

I have Murano, and totally agree. You put it on, and the weight of the mix is there. You want to "compress" as you would with the hardware, the thing goes unpredictable and unusable. So I put it on for the tone, and then some algo plugz. Something is obviously missing on those releases, as they are not "compressors", but "tone units". But let's never forget that on an La-2 for example, and I'm sure on a 670, the compression level affects the tone (listen to the piano on 'Lady Madonna", it is the 670 pushed harder than usual.) With Acqua stuff, so far, you have one static tone print, since you can't really set the compressors settings as freely as on hardware. But hey ! Those "tone units" are soooo gooood ! I compress with algo, and get the expensive tone with 200€ plugz. Works for me, and I'm sure it will get better in the future.

timings are there, we even compared them (with hardware and other software compressors).
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:22 pm

i will not spend 200 or more on a tone plug especially when its supposed to be a compressor :roll:
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby NoNameComesInMind » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:17 pm

i just recently bought the Murano, and i've had no problems so far, just dial in the right input trim until it wakes up and grabs the transients, then start tweaking.
that approach worked excellent for me, starting with -18dbfs RMS i just nulled it and it went beastmode since my mixdown is around -18dbfs RMS.

it is so punchy that sometimes it's a challenge hearing the punch, it goes really low indeed
and i've only been using the Opto so far. However i might change my mind with more material and experience with it, so far it reacts like most hardware compressors with fast response and great character does, it doesn't just squash, it's a sort of groove-generator, it alters the swing and that you don't get from algo's in the same way at the same time as it squeezes gently.
i've never really experienced it that way in the digital realm.
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.
NoNameComesInMind

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine