Login

Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Postby Beatworld » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:05 am

First impressions are great.
Only used it on the stereo buss so far and I'm liking it with only about 2db of GR at peaks, adds weight and subtle depth for sure.
The M/S option is great too, you can really alter the shape of a mix with this.

One thing which is a little "challenging" with the trial version is the lack of stereo link control.
While it is easy to see exactly what setting you have on all the controls on the Right side, the Left side is not so easy because of the 3D type thing going on with the GUI :D
So when using lower settings this is a challenge.
When using high settings the challenge swaps from Left to Right :lol:

Having the link control in the release version will solve that challenge.

Anyway, back to the tests, nice work Acustica crew, thanks.
Beatworld
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ctechdx » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:14 am

Please, could someone explain me a bit about the "time constant"? I did some tests and I see it doesn´t react quite predictable.

Positions 3 and 4 are the most linear... compressing but preserving the dynamic shape. Quite constant compression.

Position 1 and 6 create some peaks and can realy change the dynamics pulse if pushed hard.

I did noticed it can react in many diferent ways depending on source material, what is expected for a vari-mu compressor like this... it´s a real living gear! Completely diferent from the 670 algo emulations out there.

I just would like to understand a bit more what the compressor is doing on each position.

I did read the original unity manual, but maybe the plugin has a bit diferent reaction, then would be great to hear from Giancarlo and Acustica´s team! :D

Thanks,
ctechdx
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Jantex » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:35 am

While I absolutely love Pearl and Honey (especially Pearl) I still think Acustica compressors unfortunately aren't really there yet. I have Titanium and Murano and I don't use any of them. Therefore I really wanted to thoroughly test the trial version to se if the compression behaviour improved over aforementioned duo. Unfortunately not in my opinion. As far as compressors with Nebula background are concerned I still think Tim P Nebula compressors sound and behave better and are more useful tools.
MacBook Pro Retina, late 2012, 2,7GHz, 16GB RAM, 768 SSD + 500GB LaCie SSD, OSX 10.10.5, PT HD12.4, Logic X 10.2.1, Cubase 8.5.1
Jantex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby himhui » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:39 am

ctechdx wrote:Please, could someone explain me a bit about the "time constant"? I did some tests and I see it doesn´t react quite predictable.

Positions 3 and 4 are the most linear... compressing but preserving the dynamic shape. Quite constant compression.

Thanks,

Here is a FC time constants table which may not be exactly the same as that of UM but I think it would help anyway.
Attachments
P8Z_7IQIGSFLMH]HKVM$PJI.jpg
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby himhui » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:57 am

I did a quick test with * by downloading a demonstration of 670 processed and unprocessed drum clip from youtube. The result from UM is really promising as expected.

dry drum.mp3
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 99 times

HW FC.mp3
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

UM.mp3
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby dennyhellbach » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:15 am

Jantex wrote:While I absolutely love Pearl and Honey (especially Pearl) I still think Acustica compressors unfortunately aren't really there yet. I have Titanium and Murano and I don't use any of them. Therefore I really wanted to thoroughly test the trial version to se if the compression behaviour improved over aforementioned duo. Unfortunately not in my opinion. As far as compressors with Nebula background are concerned I still think Tim P Nebula compressors sound and behave better and are more useful tools.

I have to agree here. I spend 2 hours fiddling with the knobs and never got to the point were I got anything satisfying from it. I also have Titanium and I think that T has a more recognisable sonic imprint on the audio material than the Ultramarine - just putting it on a bus. And it's not about the money, I would have gladly spend the 230 Euro for this thing. I don't want to but I still use plugs like the UAD-1176 or the new Klanghelm MJUC. It takes less than a minute to dial in a sound that I want. With the Titanium I just turn knobs all the time. But that's just my .2 cent...
dennyhellbach
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 am

the trial is there so anyone could check if he likes the product or not. We tested extensively the original gear and the tone is definitively there. We are not even interested in selling all our plugins, or showing which one is closer or whatever: when we have a good model we create a product and we put on the shop, simple like that. Someone hates honey, someone loves it. Sometimes it is a matter of loving the original hardware project or not.

Ultramarine is not for all music genres. A lot of software compressors are "better" if you are trying to get simply "compression", because they are often based on digital models, oversampling and so on (sometimes the peak detector is modeled, but not the computer gain and so on). The beauty of ultramarine, it gets an impressive and expensive tone, especially in mid/side mode.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Jantex » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:09 am

But what I notice with Aqua compressors is that they sound very similar and impart pretty similar sound signature. With EQs for example there really is a huge difference betwen individual EQs, while compressors make you feel like they all employ the same topology. When I used a HW Fairchild clone that is as accurate as possible, I kept the mix at 3dB of gain reduction with a mid timing values. I almost couldn't hear the compreesor working, it just brought everything more forward. This is not the case with Ultramarine which can get too pumpy and erratic too easily.
MacBook Pro Retina, late 2012, 2,7GHz, 16GB RAM, 768 SSD + 500GB LaCie SSD, OSX 10.10.5, PT HD12.4, Logic X 10.2.1, Cubase 8.5.1
Jantex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:17 am

it was reported in the past that compression is a bit more than what we show in our meters, so they are maybe not 3dB but way more. If you hear it pumping, they are not 3dB. When the needle barely moves it is compressing already a lot.
Other thing, don't forget a lot of digital compressors are based on several tricks, for example adding a limiter in the path. We decided to not add anything. Obviously a limiter would make everything "transparent" especially for low amounts of gain.

About the different tipology: no, they are definitively completely different one from the other one. The preamp is sampled. Envelope followers and shapes are sampled, they are program dependant and based on a lot of variables (time, charge time, settings, lately also threshold values).

Anyway I'll repeat myself, I'm not here for convincing you about a product, if you don't like it MOVE ON! as you can see there are a lot of lovers here, a product cannot please everyone.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby himhui » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:25 am

Jantex wrote:But what I notice with Aqua compressors is that they sound very similar and impart pretty similar sound signature. With EQs for example there really is a huge difference betwen individual EQs, while compressors make you feel like they all employ the same topology. When I used a HW Fairchild clone that is as accurate as possible, I kept the mix at 3dB of gain reduction with a mid timing values. I almost couldn't hear the compreesor working, it just brought everything more forward. This is not the case with Ultramarine which can get too pumpy and erratic too easily.

I would like to try your audio clip to pump UM with 3db GR...
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
himhui
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine