Login

Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Postby Support » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:35 pm

giancarlo wrote:ok, just forecasting the future, the trail version should be out today, otherwise tomorrow.

Please note:

1) test the trial version as soon as it is out. "Try before buy". We'll not accept refunds just because you "don't like it".

2) trial version does not feature the "control link" feature. So you cannot link knobs for tuning left and righ channel easily. Commercial versione will feature it. It is a "green" control, similar to a control located on the original device

3) There will not be a "stereo link", like in most of legacy versions. It is a dual mono compressor.

4) keep in mind conventions coming from old times: LAT is not side but it is the MID channel. VERT is the SIDE. So as usually, left channel is the MID/mono control, and right channel is the SIDE/stereo control

5) time control is also program dependant, high values are based on a "dual capacitor" envelope follower.

6) user manual for trial version is just a quick guide.

7) trial version will NOT be compatible with commercial version. Do NOT use on important project, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!! IT EXPIRES AFTER 10 DAYS AND WE CANNOT DO ANYTHING.

8) there will be a "live" commercial version, so a zero latency release

9) the POWER button does NOT turn off the device BUT the preamp. Anyway even if you disable it completely you'll see magnitudo response is not flat. So you are just disabling a bit of harmonic distortion coming from input transformers

10) preamp is located as input module. It is sensible to input trim. The sound is amazing. You can tune loud harmonics if you need them.

11) the original device is a 40000 eur device, well serviced. The sound is incredible. It is clean but it can be dirty. CPU is not ligh so TRY BEFORE BUY.

12) aliasing is pretty good. You can test it. Lowest settings for time constant are a BIT faster than the original device, like we did for aquamarine/murano. We decided to improve it a bit, but not so much. This device is not for mastering, so there is no any need for a long look-ahead,which would turn it to a different thing. We like the original tone. Look ahead is just 2 milliseconds for lowest setting, and it is disabled quite immediatly.

13) final price is 299 eur. Anyway this time we'll feature an incredible discount for the trial period, 20%. Considering the technology, the price of the target gear, and the unique sound of this device AND the release of a contextual trial version so you can test it before buying I would say it is a fair price.

14) time constant affects both release and attack times

15) disposition of gui elements is a bit revolutionary compared with emulations coming from other developers. This IS are revolutionary device. Just to be clear, first releases for betatesters had the CLASSIC disposition of gui elements. We decided to make a product with a different gui, we LIKE it. So do NOT ask to me a different skin, if you want a different skin buy a product from an other developer. This is Acustica.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby ctechdx » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Guys, i´m testing this a lot... I tryed on many diferent sources like, bass, kick, snare, drum bus, acustic guitar, voices and even at the stereo bus... and it does sound amazing on every track! It adds some color, warmth and presence that I did never heard before on digital domain. The tridimentional feeling is amazing. Indeed it´s a bit heavy for cpu... I had to render this in some tracks to be able to hear it working in a full mix... but wow the mix completely changed... 200% enhaced!! :lol:

The bass sustain with ultramarine is just beautiful.

Have no words to describe how good that sound! Just have to say thanks to all team of acustica audio!
ctechdx
User Level II
User Level II

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:17 pm

ctechdx wrote:Guys, i´m testing this a lot... I tryed on many diferent sources like, bass, kick, snare, drum bus, acustic guitar, voices and even at the stereo bus... and it does sound amazing on every track! It adds some color, warmth and presence that I did never heard before on digital domain. The tridimentional feeling is amazing. Indeed it´s a bit heavy for cpu... I had to render this in some tracks to be able to hear it working in a full mix... but wow the mix completely changed... 200% enhaced!! :lol:

Have no words to describe how good that sound! Just have to say thanks to all team of acustica audio!

40000-299 = 39701 enough money for a new computer.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Mauri » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:49 pm

mtalavera wrote:
Mauri wrote:Hi,

I have the .ser file on my desktop, is that a "protected/crypted path"?

This is how I have authorized other products without any problem.

Thanks,

Mauri.

What browser are you using? I always get that error each time I use Internet Explorer. I have Mozilla Firefox installed just for the purpose of authorizing my Acoustica products. Firefox works every time where IE does not.

Yeah, it worked with firefox! I tried that once previously but it didn't.

Hungry beast isn't it, on my machine I might be able to run maybe four instances on top of the plugs I already use.
I'm not sure I can afford to sacrifice that much processing on any plugin. I wonder if the full, 'non live' version is as hungry?

P.S. I just built a new machine, check out the specs below...

Mauri
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:41 pm

answered on gearslutz, maybe it is interesting:

Or lower the price way down, example 60$ (or lower than that) and make a group BUY of first 200 or 250 (even 150 peeps) people who'll join the group buy and voila. Like that you offer a great product to a large mass and developers get's to make more money in a less time period and users are happy to have paid a very reasonable price for a quality plugin. I think group buys should come back. Imagine 200 people x 60$ = do the math

Or looking back at Klanghlem amaaaazing quality product (including his latest master piece MJUC) if he would have done a Group BUY ayyyyyy caraaaaamba ;-)

Just a thought :-)

Point taken, here my thoughts.
Differently from other developers, we have literally dozens of thousands of models(skinned and not skinned,lately also nebula libraries are skinned like acqua plugs and it will be a common thing in Nebula4). Price ranges from free to few $ to hundreds of $. Most of presets are free or almost free.

I was planning a cheaper approach. But I changed my mind for the following reasons:

- having so many choices, we can evaluate a product very well. If something else is better we can use it. And this product is in our opinion (acustica side) damn good. Some beta reported it is one of the best m/s software around. This enforces our sensations and feelings about it

- when you have something like that there no reason for making it as much cheap as everything else you did in the past. It would lead to a sort of confusion. When everything is equally priced everything looses its value. Are other developers decreasing prices? good. We did it already. They are late to the party. Now we have so many things we can decide what has a value *for us*

- it was sampled for a rare and expensive device, well serviced. It would be a lacking of respect for something rare and unique. You don't find something like that in every recording studio.

- I understand the algo approach from other developers is very effective, sometimes better than our one, sometimes they are even closer, sometimes not. This is life. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. But: can they take in account geometry of the components, interferences, general tone in the way we are doing? because at the end of the day we have a sort of monopoly in this kind of tech/approach. I understand we cannot nail all possible devices, but ALL our models have a particular tone, each one is different from all other ones already released by ourselves. Exactly like in the hardware world. You can get in a crowded mix a good tone using an other alternative? good for you. Nothing new, it happens in the real world very often. If you play an expensive Stradivari in a crowded mix you'll never distinguish it from a sampled EW patch. Good for you. It does not mean the Stradivari violin is a nonsense and you can save your money ALWAYS.

- we have a lot of cheaper alternatives. You can build incredible compressors merging other cheap or free things produced in the past. But you will not get this "ultramarine". Ultramarine is more like an expensive bottle of wine. If you merge good wines you don't have a "brunello".

My 2 cents
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:
ctechdx wrote:Guys, i´m testing this a lot... I tryed on many diferent sources like, bass, kick, snare, drum bus, acustic guitar, voices and even at the stereo bus... and it does sound amazing on every track! It adds some color, warmth and presence that I did never heard before on digital domain. The tridimentional feeling is amazing. Indeed it´s a bit heavy for cpu... I had to render this in some tracks to be able to hear it working in a full mix... but wow the mix completely changed... 200% enhaced!! :lol:

40000-299 = 39701 enough money for a new computer.

lol
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby RE301 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Been experimenting with the trial version - the 'chocolately' tone is there plus some kind of intangible 'mojo' in the sonics I recognize from Pearl, obviously different but what I mean to say is the sonics have a kind of personality to it, you can't quite put your finger on it. This sense of sonic personality is unlike anything I've encountered with algo plugins. Fascinating.

The lateral/vertical mode is very interesting and intriguing indeed on program material. What I'm finding is very subtle settings, or at least with barely any movement on the meters brings the joy.

Experimenting with 'regular' compression duties on the usual customers (bass & vocals), the result is very nice, sounds & works like a quality tube compressor/limiter - again on subtle settings, not 'smash'. As reference, I even called up parts (background vocals) I'd run in the past through a hardware FC670 unit during mixing - hard to judge completely as the setting & listening situation is radically different but still something of the chocolately tone & smoothness on the BG vox I remember is there.

Similar to Pearl, one of the most interesting things going for me is the actual 'sonics' of the unit, and the subtle interplay between the controls, especially with the input gain, where there is an intangible mojo going on.

Its long been a (probably unprovable) theory of mine that a lot of what people perceive as the 'tube sound' or mojo actually resides in the transformers in the audio path. Back when I had my hardware studio (RIP) I had some U73b tube compressors where the sound would dramatically change for the 'better' after being on for about 2 hours where the whole chassis became warm to the touch - I called it the 'bloom' & it was consistent and repeatable. After speaking with a tech familiar with these units, he suggested that the transformer cores had heated up at that point & changed their behavior.

With vintage high grade tube units such as the FC670, presumably the transformers are made from certain alloys, formulas & proprietary processes which are long lost and impossible to recreate in modern times after the demise or retooling of the particular manufacturers. I wonder if the Volterra Kernel technology on Nebula is uniquely poised to 'capture' the non-linear magic / nature of these vintage (or any) audio transformers & the interaction between components as there is, as I understand it, a 'sampling' of actual distortion characteristics and non-linear elements as they occur in the actual unit's working & signal path - something which algos will never be able to do. Put more simply, there is real 'magic' in electricity & the movement of electrons, not in binary 1's & 0's and code I think..

Very exciting times & thanks to the Acustica crew for these developments in such an incredible technology. As someone who started in the pre-digital days, once had a hardware based studio with quality 'classics' - I never in my wildest dreams believed we would see such quality, magic & sonic personality I associate with hardware units represented in the digital domain!
Last edited by RE301 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
RE301

Postby RE301 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:52 pm

giancarlo wrote:
- it was sampled for a rare and expensive device, well serviced. It would be a lacking of respect for something rare and unique. You don't find something like that in every recording studio.

Absolutely - on pricing, one of the tragic things in the digital 'economy' (with I think impacts on long term innovation / development of intellectual property etc) is how things are driven to a $'0' point due in part to the old computer science adage 'information wants to be free', where developers of any kind of intellectual property are almost expected nowadays to contribute their efforts for free to 'the hive'.

Given the quality of Ultramarine and the factors of the efforts its taken to develop this technology, the intellectual property, developing the Aqua plugins/Nebula concepts and trying to survive as a company working on it full time - it would seem strange to offer this one out for a 'crazy' low price. As well, I find criticism about pricing is unfair in general considering that Acustica/Nebula has items for offer over a wide spectrum ranging from FREE, to incredibly affordable 3rd party Nebula libraries, mid-range Aqua plugs all the way up into 'premium' pricing, so something for everyone & all budgets.
Last edited by RE301 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RE301

Postby SWANG » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:08 am

^for my part, i 100% agree. we all work or at least dabble in an industry which has also suffered much the same fate for similar reasons. so i'm definitely down to support however i can.

having said that, it would help my budget planning to have a general idea of how long the pre-sale will last. i asked the same question above, but it got lost in the shuffle. no specifics needed; just a "ballpark" date. thanks! :)
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RE301 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:29 am

I too am curious when the cutoff date might be for the presale discount, don't want to miss it! :-)
RE301

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine