Login

Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Postby ctechdx » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:46 pm

My nails are gone already! lol

It will not be a good compressor for mastering? The original gear was used for mastering, am I wrong?

murano would be a better choice for mastering?
ctechdx
User Level II
User Level II

Postby mathias » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 pm

beingmf3 wrote:Just asking: is "LAT" not the side channel and "VERT" the mid channel? As it would be in disc cutting?

actually in disc cutting it is the opposite. lateral movement of the cutter writes mono information, vertical movement the side information.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:58 pm

ctechdx wrote:My nails are gone already! lol

It will not be a good compressor for mastering? The original gear was used for mastering, am I wrong?

murano would be a better choice for mastering?

yes the original was used for mastering, but it happened several years ago
It is a bit like pearl. They are vintage mastering units
But they are not "surgical", like of most of modern mastering units
Anyway I think the beauty of ultramarine is the expensive "tone" and "dimension" for lower compression amounts. In such case it "is" a mastering unit
For mid/side it is quite awesome
But I'll be clear, it is not meant to anticipate all peaks like for a mastering limiter or compressor, so a long look-ahead would be out of context.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ctechdx » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks Giancarlo,

I want to use it on my mixing works... but I will definitely try it on some mastering and let´s see how it works. Maybe I can get some good warmth and color from ultramarine... but using togheter with a second compressor just to control the peaks if needed. Let´s see... maybe the murano would be a good complement for a mastering work... I really would like to have a murano trial as well to check how it works for me.

I keep waiting for the ultramarine trial!! :lol:
ctechdx
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RE301 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 am

For anyone who might find it helpful - here is the original 670 manual with an interesting description of the lateral-vertical features as designed for stereo disc cutting. Download pdf linkhttps://tinyurl.com/ovkcjxn

My understanding is the FC 670 actually began its ascent to its current legendary & expensive icon status after an article in Mix Magazine appeared (pre-internet days) in which some LA-based engineer said they'd mixed a certain hit song using a 670 on the mix buss. This would have been in the era where tube equipment was seen as obsolete & inconvenient - with perhaps the FC 670 being even more so due to the array of 8 hard to find 6386 tubes for the compression, which need to be matched.

As for ever once being considered 'obsolete' - I'm not sure if there's any tube compressor made in history which has as fast of an attack on program material as the FC 670?

Having designed it for the then (1950's) specific needs of disc-cutting (and protecting expensive cutter heads from being blown by any sudden peak) and when mastering used to be seen as a process where the intention was to make a 1:1 transfer at safe levels with preferably no doctoring of the audio except 'corrective' measures, I wonder what the original designer made of the FC 670 becoming the most sought after and expensive 'holy grail' compressor unit of all time?

People who are looking for something with which to smash program levels into a 2x4 shape might be disappointed, but if the intention were to smash levels in that modern mastering way, why not use Ultramarine in series then with a another plug that provides the smash.

Really excited about the arrival of Ultramarine - it looks to be a 'must have'. If the sonics & 'mojo' of the original unit are captured anywhere close to that of Pearl (and I would assume this to be the case), I can't wait to savour the chocolatey tone!
RE301

Postby Francesco.Tedeschi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:25 am

Francesco Tedeschi
Francesco.Tedeschi
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby chrisarvan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 am

nice! downloading now.
chrisarvan
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby beingmf3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:42 am

mathias wrote:
beingmf3 wrote:Just asking: is "LAT" not the side channel and "VERT" the mid channel? As it would be in disc cutting?

actually in disc cutting it is the opposite. lateral movement of the cutter writes mono information, vertical movement the side information.

Yeah - sorry, it's too hot! :shock:
beingmf3

Postby chrisarvan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:22 am

sounds incredible. nailed it.
chrisarvan
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:19 am

chrisarvan wrote:sounds incredible. nailed it.

yes exactly. This is my exact feeling.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine