Login

Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Postby davidgary73 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 am

Support wrote:
what about Senior discount!

Explain us please...

I think he is referring to either user/loyal customers or senior citizens whose age is above 55+ years.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby BrianTW » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:42 am

Hi,
Is there a Manual?
BrianTW
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Support » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 am

BrianTW wrote:Hi,
Is there a Manual?

Product will have user manual.

ok, just forecasting the future, the trail version should be out today, otherwise tomorrow.

Please note:

1) test the trial version as soon as it is out. "Try before buy". We'll not accept refunds just because you "don't like it".

2) trial version does not feature the "control link" feature. So you cannot link knobs for tuning left and righ channel easily. Commercial versione will feature it. It is a "green" control, similar to a control located on the original device

3) There will not be a "stereo link", like in most of legacy versions. It is a dual mono compressor.

4) keep in mind conventions coming from old times: LAT is not side but it is the MID channel. VERT is the SIDE. So as usually, left channel is the MID/mono control, and right channel is the SIDE/stereo control

5) time control is also program dependant, high values are based on a "dual capacitor" envelope follower.

6) user manual for trial version is just a quick guide.

7) trial version will NOT be compatible with commercial version. Do NOT use on important project, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!! IT EXPIRES AFTER 10 DAYS AND WE CANNOT DO ANYTHING.

8) there will be a "live" commercial version, so a zero latency release

9) the POWER button does NOT turn off the device BUT the preamp. Anyway even if you disable it completely you'll see magnitudo response is not flat. So you are just disabling a bit of harmonic distortion coming from input transformers

10) preamp is located as input module. It is sensible to input trim. The sound is amazing. You can tune loud harmonics if you need them.

11) the original device is a 40000 eur device, well serviced. The sound is incredible. It is clean but it can be dirty. CPU is not ligh so TRY BEFORE BUY.

12) aliasing is pretty good. You can test it. Lowest settings for time constant are a BIT faster than the original device, like we did for aquamarine/murano. We decided to improve it a bit, but not so much. This device is not for mastering, so there is no any need for a long look-ahead,which would turn it to a different thing. We like the original tone. Look ahead is just 2 milliseconds for lowest setting, and it is disabled quite immediatly.

13) final price is 299 eur. Anyway this time we'll feature an incredible discount for the trial period, 20%. Considering the technology, the price of the target gear, and the unique sound of this device AND the release of a contextual trial version so you can test it before buying I would say it is a fair price.

14) time constant affects both release and attack times

15) disposition of gui elements is a bit revolutionary compared with emulations coming from other developers. This IS are revolutionary device. Just to be clear, first releases for betatesters had the CLASSIC disposition of gui elements. We decided to make a product with a different gui, we LIKE it. So do NOT ask to me a different skin, if you want a different skin buy a product from an other developer. This is Acustica.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm

giancarlo wrote:
RE301 wrote:One thing I was curious about was what the owner of the original unit sampled to create Ultramarine thinks of UM - as they must surely know their unit in great detail & are able to judge how close UM actually is in representing the sonics & function of the hardware unit.

Was there some feedback yet?

My motivation to ask is down to curiousity. To my ears UM sounds great & functions nicely.. !

oh yes we'll ask them, we'll do as soon as we meet them again, togheter with other incoming products/comparisons (many, even a whole console)

Is it Prime studios ? I remember discussions on the forum when their console came out, as they own a 670.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby udo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:
giancarlo wrote:
RE301 wrote:One thing I was curious about was what the owner of the original unit sampled to create Ultramarine thinks of UM - as they must surely know their unit in great detail & are able to judge how close UM actually is in representing the sonics & function of the hardware unit.

Was there some feedback yet?

My motivation to ask is down to curiousity. To my ears UM sounds great & functions nicely.. !

oh yes we'll ask them, we'll do as soon as we meet them again, togheter with other incoming products/comparisons (many, even a whole console)

Is it Prime studios ? I remember discussions on the forum when their console came out, as they own a 670.

Yes they do have a Fai*child 670 and I am almost certain its

the one which had been sampled!
udo
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:43 pm

I think so too. Heard that the Prime comp is finally fixed and will soon be available.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:40 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:I think so too. Heard that the Prime comp is finally fixed and will soon be available.

yes
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mightymosaic » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:03 am

This sounds absolutely amazing on Piano.
mightymosaic

Postby whsi » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:23 pm

What indeed is 6*70 ?

Is it a compressor or a limiter ? Or something hybrid ?
whsi
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RE301 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Its a tube compressor / limiter unit from the 1950's built to ultra high standards during the heyday of tube audio which was dreamed up by genius designer Rein Narma (who had careers with Ampex & Fairchild) for the purpose of vinyl disc cutting & which has developed an iconic status for (unintended - since it was originally meant for cutting rigs) use in recording studios, driven in a large part by 'big name' users & scarcity (probably an amount only in the low 100's were ever built) so that original units currently can sell for upward of $30k... the 670 can also function in Lat/Vert (MS) mode which is amazing considering it was conceived in the 50's..

The compression is actually handled by 6386 tubes (in the FC670 - a complement of 8!) so its in the 'vari-mu' compressor club... it can function both as a compressor or limiter depending on the settings you choose (low ratio is 'compression' / higher ratio is 'limiter')

Someone looking for modern smash / atomic in your face hyped up compression may be disappointed with this one, whereas those who are looking to savour more complex tones and almost indescribable (tube & IMO transformer) mojo, like a fine red wine or slowly evolving flavours of the highest quality dark chocolate, might appreciate a 670 more...

More on the history & features of the venerable 670
https://tinyurl.com/qz566s8
RE301

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine