Login

Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Postby Beatworld » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:58 am

giancarlo wrote:it was reported in the past that compression is a bit more than what we show in our meters, so they are maybe not 3dB but way more. If you hear it pumping, they are not 3dB. When the needle barely moves it is compressing already a lot.

That is very good advice Giancarlo.
Today I'm getting better results with the needles barely moving.
Lovely mid range tone.
Beatworld
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Mauri » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:53 am

Some people are saying put UM on bass, drums, vocals and other tracks. Have a go and see how many instances you can run.

Another thing, tone, tone tone, warm, warm, warm 'till it sounds like mud. What happened to clarity?
I tested UM against UA Fairchild (m/s), LA-2A MKIIs and MJUC. To me UM came off second best to all of those.
Mainly, UM muddied up the top end like hats, cymbals and top end of snare drums.

That said, I do rather like Murano and Aquamarine.
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Support » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:32 am

Performance test from a beta tester.
Intel i7 generation 4 + 16 GB RAM
Windows 7 x64
Reaper 5 beta x64
Ultramarine VST2 x64
Buffer: 1024
Mora than 60 instances of Ultramarine VST2 x64 were run without a crash.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Mauri » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Support wrote:Performance test from a beta tester.
Intel i7 generation 4 + 16 GB RAM
Windows 7 x64
Reaper 5 beta x64
Ultramarine VST2 x64
Buffer: 1024
Mora than 60 instances of Ultramarine VST2 x64 were run without a crash.

What other plugins, and how many instances, did this beta tester run?

I think my machine is fairly powerful but instanciating more than four UMs just about brought my machine to it's knees.
Of course I had my 'normal' number of other plugins, VSTs and VSTis, running at the same time but my projects are not particularly heavy plugin number, or track wise.

I'm not trying to put down UM, just telling as it is with my setup and projects, I also very much appreciate and respect the work and efforts of all you Acustica guys.
I use Nebula as an EQ and reverb (reverb exclusively!) a lot, those are the things at which it excels IMHO!
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Support » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:40 pm

What other plugins, and how many instances, did this beta tester run?

We started to test performance in that way from now, reporting to customer how many instances they should get. No other product will be measured soon.

I think my machine is fairly powerful but instanciating more than four UMs just about brought my machine to it's knees.
Of course I had my 'normal' number of other plugins, VSTs and VSTis, running at the same time but my projects are not particularly heavy plugin number, or track wise.

Test is standard. The Acqua Efects tip of the month (#10 - June 2015): viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28940. Also will help you to check how your audio host manage your computer resources.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby davidperetz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Many years ago, before the internet and gearslutz, there was a duality of preamps (N**e - A*I ) and the holly trinty of compression - **76 - L*2 - FAIRCHILD.
I use to have dreams about the Fairchild imagining there was a golden sound coming out of it like a Dragon fart but elctrical
anyway got me a 1176 later an LA2, eventually the Fairchilds came on UAD platform and it was nice, but mostly it was like a mild eq and a digital one.
actually - not so amazing.
"the hardware must be better" i thought to myself.
the years pass and than one day (in a situation i can't elborate too much, sorry) I had the lucky chance to "play" with 2 real farichilds side by side.
what amaze me was that the two units (who were well maintained and well served ) sounded spectaculry different from each other.
one was "golden and squasher" and the other was "browner and nicer", but both units had far less soundprint than i dreamt about all those years.
in reality the mojo was there but it wasn't night and day difference but yellow to orange diffrence.
then i understood we have far more expectation from a single pieace of gear than it could deliver.
the fairchild sounded best when it was lightly caressing the peaks 1-3 db of GR up to 5-6 db, more than that, constantly sounded quite unpleasent to my ears, but the main thing i felt the fairchild was doing is glueing the mixes in a way that strangely made them sound both wider and more jointed at the same time.
the last two days i tried the ULTRAMRINE on a few mixes and tracks. judging only from memory i would say the pros and cons are like this :

1. glue - nailed all the way. the best thing about the UM is the lifting and solidifying fx for the center and the widening of the Side with a sparkle

2. Tone - Nailed it half way! why half way you may ask? well this one sounds a lot like one of the units (browner & softer)
toneshaping i actualy liked more the othe fairchild (golden & squasher)
reminiscing on that sound i remembred that it sound much closely to AlexB Frchild pre amp (although not so sure if it was a 660 or 670 that was sampled ) from the preamp color suite. tried it after the UM and turned off the pre in UM - vualla - there was the tone of "golden" but no, no squasher....

3. compression - relaying on my memory only, i can say that it's a mix bag, it did gave the same "riding" i felt on single tracks (VOCALS, ACUSTIC GTRS, BASS ) but with the UM i feel it goes from restrained to too much in a click, after two days of playing with it, I feel i'm getting close to the "F point", but it's not as instant as it was with hardware units.
on whole mixes it was far easier and the resaults were very satisfying.

does it has the mojo?
yes it's there.

can it make my music beutyful?
well that depends on your skill creativty talent and Genre...
it won't be my first call on electronic EDM or hiphop but it really shines on acustic music, retro stuff and soft rock.

so is it worth the price?
a-b-s-o-l-u-t-l-y

WHY?
cause we are very spoiled. we live in an age that we have far too much virtual gear to learned as good as it deserves. 17 year ago i made my first album with a single SM58 and Mackie CONSOLE AND EQ; it still gets played and mentioned as a classic and influential album (not bragging) but I learned how to made it happen with what i had, because i had no other choices.i really learned the limitations of my gear.
after years of doing this i came to the conclusion that the most important factor when it comes to gear is how you feel about it.
if you believe you have great gear you will make great things with it. Acustica and Nebula have given us the users amazing tools in the last decade, most ot the times far better than anything i have used ITB and sometime OTB; but it's a matter of trust.
if someday someone will invite me to his desert island to do a whole album with only ULTRAMRINE and a Pearl. i'm sure i will make an exelent record as long as he writes great songs and preform them well.
why? because tools are like tools (!!) they either work or they don't, and to me - nebula works.
always has, from day one i used it.

Have Fun
I do
:)
Last edited by davidperetz on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidperetz
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:03 pm

we'll work on meters.
About stability and cpu load in general, we are working in our next generation engine. Aax is coming very soon too

About the price, I posted my thoughts already in this topic. Cheaper things are on the way, but for an expensive sound like this one I think it is fair. The product is not perfect, but it recreates the magic tone of the original hardware, which is very appreciated. It is possible you don't like the hardware, it is not a trouble, this kind of processing unit is very sensible on the source you are using, music genre and so on. Someone defined it "muddy", and believe me, our recreation is really close. If you are using on a clear edm master maybe this is not the right tool. Processing a choir maybe works better and so on.

About ochre: we'll release before the middle of august and it will be a surprise. No, it will not be a clone. We are starting a new segment of market in audio plugins, do your guess ;)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:04 pm

davidperetz wrote:Many years ago, before the internet and gearslutz, there was a duality of preamps (N**e - A*I ) and the holly trinty of compression - 1176 - LA2 - FAIRCHILD.
I use to have dreams about the Fairchild imagining there was a golden sound coming out of it like a Dragon fart but elctrical
anyway got me a 1176 later an LA2, eventually the Fairchilds came on UAD platform and it was nice, but mostly it was like a mild eq and a digital one.
actually - not so amazing.
"the hardware must be better" i thought to myself.
the years pass and than one day (in a situation i can't elborate too much, sorry) I had the lucky chance to "play" with 2 real farichilds side by side.
what amaze me was that the two units (who were well maintained and well served ) sounded spectaculry different from each other.
one was "golden and squasher" and the other was "browner and nicer", but both units had far less soundprint than i dreamt about all those years.
in reality the mojo was there but it wasn't night and day difference but yellow to orange diffrence.
then i understood we have far more expectation from a single pieace of gear than it could deliver.
the fairchild sounded best when it was lightly caressing the peaks 1-3 db of GR up to 5-6 db, more than that, constantly sounded quite unpleasent to my ears, but the main thing i felt the fairchild was doing is glueing the mixes in a way that strangely made them sound both wider and more jointed at the same time.
the last two days i tried the ULTRAMRINE on a few mixes and tracks. judging only from memory i would say the pros and cons are like this :

1. glue - nailed all the way. the best thing about the UM is the lifting and solidifying fx for the center and the widening of the Side with a sparkle

2. Tone - Nailed it half way! why half way you may ask? well this one sounds a lot like one of the units (browner & softer)
toneshaping i actualy liked more the othe fairchild (golden & squasher)
reminiscing on that sound i remembred that it sound much closely to AlexB Frchild pre amp (although not so sure if it was a 660 or 670 that was sampled ) from the preamp color suite. tried it after the UM and turned off the pre in UM - vualla - there was the tone of "golden" but no, no squasher....

3. compression - relaying on my memory only, i can say that it's a mix bag, it did gave the same "riding" i felt on single tracks (VOCALS, ACUSTIC GTRS, BASS ) but with the UM i feel it goes from restrained to too much in a click, after two days of playing with it, I feel i'm getting close to the "F point", but it's not as instant as it was with hardware units.
on whole mixes it was far easier and the resaults were very satisfying.

does it has the mojo?
yes it's there.

can it make my music beutyful?
well that depends on your skill creativty talent and Genre...
it won't be my first call on electronic EDM or hiphop but it really shines on acustic music, retro stuff and soft rock.

so is it worth the price?
a-b-s-o-l-u-t-l-y

WHY?
cause we are very spoiled. we live in an age that we have far too much virtual gear to learned as good as it deserves. 17 year ago i made my first album with a single SM58 and Mackie CONSOLE AND EQ; it still gets played and mentioned as a classic and influential album (not bragging) but I learned how to made it happen with what i had, because i had no other choices.i really learned the limitations of my gear.
after years of doing this i came to the conclusion that the most important factor when it comes to gear is how you feel about it.
if you believe you have great gear you will make great things with it. Acustica and Nebula have given us the users amazing tools in the last decade, most ot the times far better than anything i have used ITB and sometime OTB; but it's a matter of trust.
if someday someone will invite me to his desert island to do a whole album with only ULTRAMRINE and a Pearl. i'm sure i will make an exelent record as long as he writes great songs and preform them well.
why? because tools are like tools (!!) they either work or they don't, and to me - nebula works.
always has, from day one i used it.

Have Fun
I do
:)

amazing post, thank you
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby RE301 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:27 pm

The post above from David Peretz is superb & essential reading!

The question of expectations is definitely a big one.

I knew someone who did some mixes using a hardware FC670 on the mix buss, with the expectation it was going to help make everything sound incredible because of the built up anticipation and excitement of finally using the iconic $40k tube 'legend', but ended up being disappointed :-0

In my case, I mixed some songs once using a FC670 on female bg vocals (sounded great!), which seemed almost an absurdly decadent use of such an expensive & rare machine :-0 ..but other compressors (LA2A, Retro 176, N**e) were my first choice in that situation on things needing compression eg: vocals, bass ..

A given unit be it an eq, compressor, etc is not going to work for all people, on all sound sources, in all situations..

With the person who found things getting muddy after using many instances of UM, perhaps they might find the same happening if they used a stack of 20 hardware units (!). Even studios or persons with enough resources to own a hardware FC670 or clone, tend to have only one unit in the racks, where they would then have to decide where to allocate this one 670 'instance'..

Also its worth noting that the FC670 was originally designed and intended for the purpose of vinyl disc cutting so the thinking and concept of the unit is specific to that application, as opposed to being meant as a 'studio workhorse' - though it has certainly reached a revered status in modern times for use in recording studios & much less so in vinyl cutting rigs.
Last edited by RE301 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
RE301

Postby chrisarvan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:43 pm

I would suggest trying UM without the Pre on if you want a cleaner, more modern sound. Then follow it with a slight high end boost from Pearl or one of the other EQ's. I am really digging this combo.

The Pre has a lot of harmonics and my feeling is I would go for that only if I want a more vintage sound at this point.
chrisarvan
User Level V
User Level V

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine