Login

Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Ultramarine (mid/side vintage compressor)

Postby spigon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:44 pm

giancarlo wrote:
Avgatzeblouz wrote:
gussyg wrote:ok the tone is there with the aqua comps ...but....but
the correlation between the tone/dynamics and knob functionality never seems right to me
when I play with attack, release, threshold, and ratio on an algo it's very apparent what's going on
there always seems to be a limited "sweet spot" with neb comp tech, and it takes ages to find it
YMMV :shock:

I have Murano, and totally agree. You put it on, and the weight of the mix is there. You want to "compress" as you would with the hardware, the thing goes unpredictable and unusable. So I put it on for the tone, and then some algo plugz. Something is obviously missing on those releases, as they are not "compressors", but "tone units". But let's never forget that on an La-2 for example, and I'm sure on a 670, the compression level affects the tone (listen to the piano on 'Lady Madonna", it is the 670 pushed harder than usual.) With Acqua stuff, so far, you have one static tone print, since you can't really set the compressors settings as freely as on hardware. But hey ! Those "tone units" are soooo gooood ! I compress with algo, and get the expensive tone with 200€ plugz. Works for me, and I'm sure it will get better in the future.

timings are there, we even compared them (with hardware and other software compressors).

Cool. Good to know. Thanks for coming out with such a great product! I know it is annoying to continue to hear request but have the acustica team ever consider sampling a Fairman TMEQ SPE? I am awaiting this product and your GML9500 that you are release in 2016. Super pump at all the amazing releasing on the Aqua side. Pearl, GML 9500, Sontec 430B, Ultramarine, and more to come.
spigon
User Level V
User Level V

Postby mightymosaic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Murano and Titanium are the best ITB compressors i have ever used.
mightymosaic

Postby SWANG » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 pm

^same here
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby chrisarvan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:06 pm

I love this thing. To me,it is exactly what I hoped for and expected.

I am just hitting it .5 to 1db max of gain reduction on a mix.

Same with Murano with the VCA. I only hit it about 1db, no more.

I don't need or want them to do any more than just that one thing they do and do it great.

It's interesting to me to see the different responses here. I have the MJUC as well that everybody seems really excited about. I listened very critically for a few days taking that on and off the same mixes before trying Ultramarine.

I like the MJUC, especially for the MK3 which has a cool punch that is more like an S*L. As with just about every plug-in compressor though, I have to mix in some dry signal or I just can sense too much that it is a plug-in. I don't think I'll really use it on a mix.

With the Acustica compressors I don't sense that. I am monitoring pretty loud on amphions and it's almost like an itch that I get when I have just about any plug-in compressor on. I end up always taking it off.

I don't sense that with the Acustica compressors.
Last edited by chrisarvan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
chrisarvan
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby NoNameComesInMind » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:25 pm

chrisarvan wrote:I love this thing. To me, it is exactly what I hoped for and expected.

I am just hitting it .5 to 1db max of gain reduction on a mix.

Same with Murano with the VCA. I only hit it about 1db, no more.

I don't need or want them to any more than just that one thing they do and do it great.

It's interesting to me to see the different responses here. I have the MJUC as well that everybody seems really excited about. I listened very critically for a few days taking that on and off the same mixes before trying Ultramarine.

I like the MJUC, especially for the MK3 which has a cool punch that is more like an S*L. As with just about every plug-in compressor though, I have to mix in some dry signal or I just can sense too much that it is a plug-in. I don't think I'll really use it on a mix.

With the Acustica compressors I don't sense that. I am monitoring pretty loud on amphions and it's almost like an itch that I get when I have just about any plug-in compressor on. I end up always taking it off.

I don't sense that with the Acustica compressors.

This is exactly my feeling too, if you'd for example pay attention to the ambience of the recorded sample you can still hear the same room but with slight coloration, that tone that was mentioned before is just there and lingers. And when you start compressing it compresses the atmosphere too, most algos just instantly flattens the depth and just goes straight for the kill, but of course there is great ones too, it's music we talk in the end :)

acusticas stuff though is not audible in a sense that you can "hear" it, it's a matter of presence, something "physical" so to put it, that's why it might not be up to one's taste all the time - we still use different algos for different stuff right? - so is my experience with the workabillity of acusticas stuff too :)

Note: i've tried the Ultramarine too and i got my settings right so i got the original input back but with UM settings, but i kept in mind it was not going to be fast enough and it smears transients in a beautiful way, but that choco-tone was certainly there, i just need to find the right spot for it's usage.
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.
NoNameComesInMind

Postby ctechdx » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:44 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:i will not spend 200 or more on a tone plug especially when its supposed to be a compressor :roll:

Bro, look... call the ultramarine a "tone plugin" it´s a sin! hehehehe

It is definitely... 100% a compressor. BUT it´s NOT a precision compressor. It can, for sure to compress audio signal and it´s quite powerfull to be honest with you... :D

As I said... don´t expect to be a precision, modern tool, also because I don´t believe thats the concept of the original unity.

I see many people saying that is using ultramarine only on master bus. It´s something you can do, for sure! But try the ultramarine on vocals, bass, acustic guitar... on prety much everything it could be interesting. Specialy on vocals and bass I think it really shines!

My suggestion is... compress your track with the ultramarine first, then after that you can use your favorite digital precision compressor only to add a safer final control if needed. For vocals and bass for exemple only the ultramarine is working quite well for me... and I don´t need to add an extra comp, but for a drum bus, or a master bus maybe you want a more precise transient control... then a second one could be a good choice. That combination sounds way better than a single digital compressor working on the track (IMO).

Of course ultramarine has that vintage tone and color that maybe will not fit for everything, but it´s quite musical and usefull, that´s for sure!

Trust me... ultramarine IS pretty much a compressor... actualy the most exciting I ever tryed ITB.

best regards,
ctechdx
User Level II
User Level II

Postby chrisarvan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:48 pm

NoNameComesInMind wrote:Note: i've tried the Ultramarine too and i got my settings right so i got the original input back but with UM settings, but i kept in mind it was not going to be fast enough and it smears transients in a beautiful way, but that choco-tone was certainly there, i just need to find the right spot for it's usage.

Yes, I agree about the transients. That is one of the main things I was really hoping this would nail.

I am finding I can add more of the high shelf from Pearl after Ultramarine because of what it is doing to the transients. It is polishing them. It evens it out around the outer edges in a way that is very subtly encased. It sounds more finished without losing punch or definition.

It's like the vintage bottle of wine in the picture. It 'takes the edge off' in a very classy way. :D

I am liking it without the pre-amp for clean modern material right now. The harmonics of the pre-amp are awesome though and I'm sure I will use it when I have something that calls for it.
chrisarvan
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby RE301 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:31 pm

I too tried the combo (of course) of Pearl & Ultramarine ... it was very interesting indeed, especially in the area of sonics which I have never before encountered in the digital/ITB realm.. still digesting how interesting it was ! :-0

On another note - these days when I see people demonstrating plugins online I am always a little surprised at the tendency to wildly throw GUI knobs around to their wildest extremes which strikes me as similar to if you'd go to a car lot and start testing the model by abruptly shifting gears, turning the steering wheel wildly from left to right, twisting all the controls for turn signals / windshield wipers etc ...

As well I notice people in modern times tend to 'rate' compressors both hardware & ITB for their ability to provide almost absurd 'atomic squash' levels.(which is actually using the device as an 'effect' as opposed to what compressor / limiters were intended for back in the old days).. Returning to the testing a new model at the car lot analogy, this is a little like doing donuts around the parking lot & some drifting :-0

I can see how people searching for nuclear squash potential could be disappointed with Ultramarine..in my case, similar to what someone reported above, I also found 'joy' with subtle settings in both regular dual mono compression & (MS)/Lat/Vert mode..

Ultramarine seems to be a very powerful tool with a unique personality and as well, the Lat/Vert mode is very deep indeed in what it can do...
RE301

Postby rickelfritz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:03 am

giancarlo wrote:it was reported in the past that compression is a bit more than what we show in our meters, so they are maybe not 3dB but way more. If you hear it pumping, they are not 3dB. When the needle barely moves it is compressing already a lot.

Hey Giancarlo. I have to ask - why not just code the meters to be accurate? I can think of no good reason at all to have them essentially be misleading. I have several S***** ***** emus, including Murano, and it is the only one that is that far off between what is happening sonically and what the meters are showing. On my hardware Thermionic Culture Phoenix ME, I somewhat understand - the ballistics of the analog meters don't fully and accurately represent what is happening. But surely this is a limitation of the medium and should not be present in the digital domain.
rickelfritz
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RE301 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:49 am

rickelfritz wrote:
giancarlo wrote:it was reported in the past that compression is a bit more than what we show in our meters, so they are maybe not 3dB but way more. If you hear it pumping, they are not 3dB. When the needle barely moves it is compressing already a lot.

Aha!

This is very good information to know.. somehow I missed the comment earlier in this thread (!)..

Glad I trusted my ears!
RE301

PreviousNext

Return to Ultramarine