Login

A note from Giancarlo about Acustica pricing schema

General news from Acustica

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby tkrizic » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:29 pm

giancarlo wrote:
tkrizic wrote:
wonder how many 500 euro plugin would you sell anyway, probably like fchild... hope the guy in previous quotes is not right, that AA is trying to get money in short time.

regarding pearl i had nothing against you giving 100 units, i got mine. since its mastering unit i believe most of people doing mastering do earn something back so its like an investment, anyway just my observation (price was high and doubt i would ever buy another 200e plugin)..

also if you want to know what I think of marketing, go to slate digital website and see what he is doing atm, it might get you thinking, i know i would think over that.

anyway looking forward to those under and around 100 ones as 99% of people in this thread, hope that makes sense. good luck and thanks for the products!

yes I think only scarlet would be worth, anyway we'll keep it lower than ultramarine (also the version derived from the real gear).
About slate, it is a clever marketing because if you start adding their bundle to your songs you cannot stop, otherwise your old songs would not open any more. Personally I'm against the subscription model even for software I cannot avoid like illustrator, photoshop or 3dstudio max. It is way easier the other way: you buy, you have, you keep. You could even sell it. Now if 3d studio max increases the montly rate I cannot avoid to pay more, and this new bill was not even planned. It is also a good model against piracy, so on our side there would not issue on providing an option (as soon as the automatic authorization app will be released).
Nebula and acquas would be great models for a subscription model and we could raise big moneys using it at the current release rate, the company could have also a stable income. So if you really like the subscription model we can put it in our pipeline (and it would be not so bad for you, since we released a lot of plugins in few months). Personally I don't like this model, but when a thing is requested by customers I can try to provide it.

did not quite get this about not opening, have few slates for the past few years and been using them normally except ilok rubbish but you gotta protect your neck, personally i think you guys nailed it with protection, amazing work on that!!!

what you said about subscription is more of personal feeling i reckon, if you look at it from marketing perspective, if guy sells 10.000 or even 100.000 units/subscriptions you do the math... secondly he will drive a great deal of customers, new customers... anyway that is just my point on his marketing, not personal felling or what i personally like or not.

also regarding subscribtion, i think it would be great, see what guy said earlier, he needs to save 3 months for one acqua, yes you are giving free but guy wants to buy! maybe to have some package of acquas on subscribtion... dunno

you said "You could even sell it." regarding that I have some issue with my AA account on which your support turned me down, can I please send you private message about it? thanks
tkrizic
User Level III
User Level III

Postby RE301 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm

From my side, a subscription model ala Sl*te is not too interesting, I would rather buy plugins that fulfill my needs / budget and own them outright instead of a lease type of agreement.

I wonder what the thinking is behind the Sl*te subscription arrangement? Is it a desperation move in a crowded plugin market? Is Sl*te ahead of the curve and anticipates a general move toward a subscription model, the same as how music downloads are moving toward streaming?

I can see how the subscription model could be appealing to some people though: 'all you can eat' for a single price..

My own thinking with plugins is the same as it was with hardware - I'd rather have a limited number of things that work well for what I'm looking for and that I know how to work with inside & out, than have every choice available under the sun... one of the things that immediately struck me when things started to move from hardware recording to DAW's is too many options / choices that lead often to much time-wasting and confusion / cognitive overload... (!)...

I recognize my outlook is old school & most younger people in the biz want a zillion options and open up a plugin list on their DAW which is 5 meters long... :-)
RE301

Postby tkrizic » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:40 pm

RE301 wrote:From my side, a subscription model ala Sl*te is not too interesting, I would rather buy plugins that fulfill my needs / budget and own them outright instead of a lease type of agreement.

I wonder what the thinking is behind the Sl*te subscription arrangement? Is it a desperation move in a crowded plugin market? Is Sl*te ahead of the curve and anticipates a general move toward a subscription model, the same as how music downloads are moving toward streaming?

I can see how the subscription model could be appealing to some people though: 'all you can eat' for a single price..

My own thinking with plugins is the same as it was with hardware - I'd rather have a limited number of things that work well for what I'm looking for and that I know how to work with inside & out, than have every choice available under the sun... one of the things that immediately struck me when things started to move from hardware recording to DAW's is too many options / choices that lead often to much time-wasting and confusion / cognitive overload... (!)...

I recognize my outlook is old school & most younger people in the biz want a zillion options and open up a plugin list on their DAW which is 5 meters long... :-)

I'm with you but from marketing point of view its different, personal opinions vary as we all do, anyway...
tkrizic
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:40 pm

I personnaly hate the subscription model, as it is a way to tie you with the product. You have no choice anymore. The package is for everything, so why buy a Softube compressor, or Soundtoys distortion, when your Slate subscription already has one ? Maybe not as good, or really different, but hey, you already pay every month, and that's enough. So... you slowly end up in a prison of choices. Now, what happens if Slate closes the shop ? Can you still open your old sessions ?

If some people want it, fine, but we need to have the different options. I, personnaly want to own the stuff I use, and be able to sell it if I don't want it anymore, or need cash for a product I find better. By the way... Someone wants some Waves plugz ? :) Ultramarine seems nice... :D
Samplitude Pro X3 suite / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ
Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Postby tkrizic » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:15 am

Avgatzeblouz wrote:I personnaly hate the subscription model, as it is a way to tie you with the product. You have no choice anymore. The package is for everything, so why buy a Softube compressor, or Soundtoys distortion, when your Slate subscription already has one ? Maybe not as good, or really different, but hey, you already pay every month, and that's enough. So... you slowly end up in a prison of choices. Now, what happens if Slate closes the shop ? Can you still open your old sessions ?

If some people want it, fine, but we need to have the different options. I, personnaly want to own the stuff I use, and be able to sell it if I don't want it anymore, or need cash for a product I find better. By the way... Someone wants some Waves plugz ? :) Ultramarine seems nice... :D

yeah but its also one more personal point of view, i still think that it is interesting marketing move for such a company and to be honest i know i would pay 20 euro each month to AA to have their plugins, regarding those i already own, anyway that's individual like i said
tkrizic
User Level III
User Level III

Postby jfjer379 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:37 am

im pretty sure i read somewhere that nebula4 is not gonna be up-gradable from nebula3, but seen as a totally new product. is that correct ? nebula3 users have to buy nebula4 as a totally new plugin ?
I7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory3 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3s • N4
jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Postby musicmacd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Personally I have raved about your plug ins and use them all the time, however the last few releases have been out of my reach and over 100 Euros. 300 Euros which is $451AU for ultramarine is just never going to happen, I upgraded my entire DAW for less. I also think a loyalty scheme would be appreciated by your customers and me too :D
I understand the whole rare/% of value pricing scheme but still, there is global financial crisis still happening everywhere and cash is tight. I wonder how many UM you would sell if the price was 110 Euros?? I bet you would make more money in the long run. And as for 400/500 Euros for a plug in??? that would be suicide - I can just see the post on Gearslutz, and your company is starting to gain momentum, You are raising the bar very quickly but so are others, and you can purchase quality plugs for less and less everyday.
Just my take on things, good luck with your amazing work, And on a side note - my biggest gripe with Acustica is a simple one, I never have any emails regarding updates for software, - drives me nuts, I see you are finally advertising your newer releases so maybe an updates e mail would be possible??? I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, I mean having to open the dashboard and copy all the codes just to see if ones available!!!! aaarrhhhhh...
musicmacd
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:46 pm

tkrizic wrote: what you said about subscription is more of personal feeling i reckon, if you look at it from marketing perspective, if guy sells 10.000 or even 100.000 units/subscriptions you do the math...

Just a quick note - IMHO, there is no company on the plug-in market that can or will ever sell 100k of subscriptions.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby RE301 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Indeed - I notice some wildly huge over-estimations going on when it comes to what people think the plugin market is & AA's magnitude within it.. it strikes me that its almost like since its 'software' (some) people automatically assume sales / market share is going to be like a Silicon Valley tech giant with huge amounts of $ rolling in...

Audio software / plugins are a niche market in the grand scheme of things and AA (at the moment - things can only go up as more people discover Aqua & the technology and the rest improves) resides in a niche / boutique area within the audio/plugin realm...
RE301

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:33 pm

yes there is a newletter, just subscribe to it, and if it does not work open a ticket!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements