Login

A note from Giancarlo about Acustica pricing schema

General news from Acustica

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby flipnaut » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I agree with some pre posters here:

300 Euro is way too much for a software product which is only 0011100110110 whether it has a nice look or not. For that money i come into the range where i can buy a used IGS S-Type 500 or something else... a real thing with real man's work!

A real Fchild is priced so high because of the tube stuff etc. in it... but that is something which software can't really emulate when talking about distortion and so on... to sell it then for 300 € while the huge differencies to other software comps are not there... is... well... not good. Especially when the cpu consumption is that high as many people say.

What i really miss from AA is the 30 € to 80 € price range like it came with silk or eqp1. I wondered that the prices went higher and even higher in the last months... is it all a business model?

For me it seems to be, that AA wants to make fast plenty much of money with high priced units... while nebula 4 is not on the horizon :roll:

I mean when you sell around 10.000 times the 300 € unit (which is quit realistic i guess) you would have 3 Mill. €? And when i put all the others on top you are doing many millions...? Or should i be wrong? Why not get more software engineers to make updates faster and get nebula 4 in 2 or 3 months?

I really hope that nebula 4 will not be a big increase in all prices and brings exactly the same what nebula 3 is with some engine updates for boschi & Co. Because that is what i love about nebula beside the sounds: a fair price range for some eq colour of the real hw... and all those developers which make software with love! That is for me the real thing for the future.

And... I really hope that black will not be 3 comps for a high price. I just want one of them for around 60 to 80 € price range... but not three different models for 300 € in a bundle...

I don't want argue, but i just think about that all... i hope that you can understand me and some others here. The last year i was not satisfied because it has beeing said that neb 4 would come last year or this year... but it did not come. And the information about neb 4 is very very low... where are the pictures? Where is the release date? 8-)
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Selection: Pearl 2 (!), Lime (!), Titanium 2 (!), Pink2412, Amethyst2, Navy, Honey (!), Scarlet3, Magenta3, Blue (!). HW: AML EZ1073, CAPI VP 28, C******r Germanium C, C******r Tone Control, Stam Audio SA-2A, RND 542 Tape Sim.
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Giancarlo,
could it be a good idea to post sound clips of audio passed to the real hardware compared to your plugins ? Most of us don't have access to a 670 or SHMC, of course. So it actually depends on if you want to show how close it is from the real thing, or just how good the plugin sounds on its own, or both. That would give more credibility and most important, an educated choice from your customers. Especially for such an old piece of hardware, most units on earth nust not sound the same. I think of Owen who said Ultramarine is not close yet to a real 670. Maybe he's right, but maybe didn't he use the exact 670 you sampled. I remember on gearslutz the guy from Plugin Alliance answering to a negative comment about their Museq (waiting for the acqua version, by the way !) : "Our plugin sounds identical to the hardware we used to design it". So if you had sound clips of the exact unit you sampled, you could show us : this is the starting point, and where we are now. And if you have time and will, maybe a little commentary of your team : this and that are not the same that the original hw, because either the echnology don't allow it, or it would drain too much cpu, or we wanted to improve it, etc... So to be back to topic, that would justify your prices very easily.
What do you think ?
Samplitude Pro X3 suite / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mauri » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:21 pm

I agree with those who say pricing on some of the Acqua plugins is too high. I'll never pay 300euro for any plugin.

Steinberg tried it with the superb N**e Portico units, they eventually had to back down and those can now be purchased for half the original price.
I have both, 5033 EQ and 5043 compressor, very clean, CPU efficient, and VST3!, so they are easy to side chain in Cubase. I get my 'noise and warmth' with Slate plugs, also very efficient. Try putting Aquamarine on 25+ tracks on top of all your other plugs.

I do use Nebula quite a lot for EQ and reverb duties but don't really like any of the compressor libraries, way too fiddly...

End of rant,

Mauri.
Cubase 9 Pro x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, N4 - Aquamarine - Nebula 3.
Mauri
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RE301 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:47 pm

flipnaut wrote:

A real Fchild is priced so high because of the tube stuff etc. in it...

(snip)

I mean when you sell around 10.000 times the 300 € unit (which is quit realistic i guess) you would have 3 Mill. €? And when i put all the others on top you are doing many millions...?

The 'real' FC is priced so high because of successful user 'hype' (eg: big name producer/engineers/studios that use them, plus an old pre-internet Mixmag article where it was revealed some 'hit' had been mixed in LA with a FC strapped on the mixbuss) and the fact they are rare units, only in the low 100's were probably made & who knows how many of these survived until anno 2015...

As well, once the FC670 'hype' started as kind of 'holy grail' unit, studio owners started buying them for commercial reasons as an investment to bring in potential business / have an advantage over competitors..which also probably helped maintain the crazy price point and drive it up further...

A figure of '10,000' buyers for the UM Aqua plug seems surely a wildly huge overestimation of what a plugin of this nature might sell & AA's magnitude as a company (?)... this reasoning seems very unrealistic (!)..
Last edited by RE301 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RE301

Postby RE301 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Btw on pricing, I see loads of other plugin developers with very expensive plugins & suites...I don't really understand all the complaining about Acustica pricing..

Sometimes I wonder if people (the masses) are used to 'free' or nearly free plugins because of rampant 'kraks' out there, which influences their perspective on prices...(edit later: not meaning people here on the AA forum but more 'out there' in general)

On cost effectiveness - before getting into Nebula/Aqua, I shelled out some $ on algo plugs which I will now never touch again, so I might as well have burned up that money - in that respect Nebula/Aqua is a better value for the $ for me personally (!)....
Last edited by RE301 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RE301

Postby giancarlo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:55 pm

actually we have thousands for nebula and hundreds in the acqua department. Considering we have a faster developement than other companies but a lower number of sales - because we release way more products - we can price safetly things around 100. 30 eur was too much low, we did not recover costs for orange
Um was the highest price. There was a good sale, but it cannot be repeated
A thing: we have a faster developement cycle than other developers, but we are covering costs for pushing the tech further. We are just fast because we are many developers now. When you see other companies slower please take in account we are just faster because we have sometimes a bigger team. The products we are developing in general require huge investments on the tech side.
I know you see all products "nebula based", and it is. But nebula was in its infancy before 2014 and only today it is really an advanced engine.
Um is one of most complex models we faced, and it required an huge effort
Core6 was an other big bet
Core7 is the most advanced upgrade ever planned by acustica, I'm writing around 10 modules/classes just for that
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mathias » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:43 am

and now go and make holidays ... ;) lol
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Mauri » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:34 pm

@RE301

"sometimes I wonder if people (the masses) are used to 'free' or nearly free plugins because of rampant 'kraks' out there, which influences their perspective on prices..."

If that is a suggestion that the users here who are complaining about pricing are "krak" heads you can shove it, at least in my case...

Love,

Mauri.
Cubase 9 Pro x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, N4 - Aquamarine - Nebula 3.
Mauri
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RE301 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Mauri wrote:@RE301

"sometimes I wonder if people (the masses) are used to 'free' or nearly free plugins because of rampant 'kraks' out there, which influences their perspective on prices..."

If that is a suggestion that the users here who are complaining about pricing are "krak" heads you can shove it, at least in my case...

Love,

Mauri.

With 'masses' I was meaning (in my internal thinking) people outside this AA forum, actually more specifically another forum: 'GS' and other people 'out there'. But anyway, to be clear, I don't mean to infer that any users here are 'krakheads' (great term!) but I see that what I wrote in my post above is unclear/open to interpretation & sounds like I am talking about people here, so - sorry if anyone was offended!

On the subject of 'kraks', when plugins first started to become prevalent, I vowed never to use 'kraks' (aside from issues of fairness/intellectual property etc which are also reasons) after seeing someone at work on their system loaded with an immense fortune in audio 'kraks', which was plagued with instability, crashes & weird bugs to the point of being almost unusable, and meanwhile the user was filled with a kind of pride at having all these plugs and software 'free'. (!) :-0

It is a factor in modern times that anything, once digital, inevitably gets forced downward to a 'zero' price point. The 'race to zero' is also being seen in the physical realm as well. The consumer doesn't care what it costs to make something (be it software or a pair of jeans) in terms of fixed costs, labour, business overhead, research & development etc...

On the subject of plugins & pricing, I still am a little confused why AA faces so much criticism about Aqua pricing when other current market leaders in audio software (we all know the big players) offer plugins and bundles generally at similar prices ... ?
RE301

Postby tkrizic » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:45 pm

ce1909 wrote:I sure wish a customer loyalty discount program was possible based on past amounts of purchases.
Even with Pre-Sale (which I don't always want or am able to do) there's no way I can continue to invest in products as much as I'd like to help with your company's future revenue for development.
With the price points all over the place it would seem to be a viable solution.

I absolutely agree with you and I sign this too!
tkrizic
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements