Login

A note from Giancarlo about Acustica pricing schema

General news from Acustica

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby theheliosequence » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
theheliosequence wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:Pearl…well that's just some stupid shit man. Creating an artificial scarcity on a digital product to drive the market value. Do you make plugins for people who are looking for audio tools or run bizarre social experiments? The only thing sadder to me is that people went along with it.


Only they didn't sell for a ridiculous amount of money and the only sad people seem to be the ones that didn't get... Which I can understand if it potentially upset some people.

I personally would be bummed if I didn't have it (in retrospect)... It's really incredible!

I hope that as their user base grows and if they do another limited run... they potentially sell more than 100 next time. I'd hate for it to turn out that one missed their favorite hardware recreation because they were at work and didn't see the e-mail until it was too late...

Or perhaps, if a user has purchased enough items, they could have access to purchase a non-serial version of Pearl?

Maybe you could explain what the benefit of this stupid artificial limitation is? "The only people who seem to think" it's a great idea are the 100 people who jumped on. Everyone else is left wondering who the * came up with an idea so arbitrarily stupid? Really if pEARL is as great as you say then they're explicitly costing themselves money. So how is it a good thing exactly? How does the limitation of its sales make it more useful to you?


I personally don't think that they should have limited it either... but they did. Hence suggesting the possibility of at least offering it to loyal customers. I could care less about the serial number... I just think it sounds incredible and I'm glad I decided to take a chance on it.

What purpose did it serve? Only Acustica would know, but it surely seems like they've been getting more press and people interested since they did it. It also sound like they're going to do it again... so I can only assume it was worth it from a business stand point. Who knows... but Acustica is doing things differently... not just the sound and technology, but from the business side as well. So far it seems to me that they're well intended and are doing their best to balance running a business and doing what they love.
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, Burl Mothership
N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Blue, Coral, Emerald, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp Bundle, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White
User avatar
theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:23 am

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Well having been around here since December you probably have a pretty good idea of how Acustica operates as a company.
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby NoNameComesInMind » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:50 pm

giancarlo wrote:well, when I started the company I though that money was the only limitation at that time. I was a poor producer, and I was not able to buy a S*L console
But during these years I see money is not an issue any more, there is good software around. What I see it is a sort of globalization of tools
For example you go in a little recordig facility and you find that rare vintage iron crap, and the studio owner tells you it is pure magic.
I though something similar in the software realm
Someone nowday even starts a subscription model, and I think it will drive the whole business quicky to the ruin. Hardware was safe for a long time cause legendary and unique tools. It is not a matter of price, but being at the right time and place and buying or collecting something straordinary.


When you have something special you feel more confident and you even feel yourself invested of the responsability of producing better music


^ This.
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.
NoNameComesInMind
Member
Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby theheliosequence » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:22 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Well having been around here since December you probably have a pretty good idea of how Acustica operates as a company.


Fair enough. If that makes my opinions less valuable to you then I can't change that. And I'm sorry if I came off presuming to you that I know "how Acustica operates as a company" as that certainly wasn't my intention, nor my language... "Only Acustica would know" "... I can only assume" "Who knows..." "It seems to me..." Like I said before, I personally am not that into the limited thing... but I hear Giancarlo's explanation and I totally see where he is coming from.

I just want to hear more work from Acqua and am excited for 3rd party developers to get their hands on Nebula 4. This is an amazing time for plugins... even algorithmic plugins are getting better... the Acqua stuff is incredible.
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, Burl Mothership
N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Blue, Coral, Emerald, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp Bundle, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White
User avatar
theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:23 am

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:36 pm

well, there is a thing which is a common rule for our company: we keep the word. We said 100, and they will be 100.
We said the 3% rule and it was less, never more. We promised a scarlet, ultramarine and amber as standalone plugs and we did it.
We promised better engines, better support and we did.
We promised au and aax for free and we did or we are doing
Even the "pay the difference" in nebula3 was always kept - the first time we'll remove the rule will be on a different product which is not nebula3
So if I say 300 is the upper bound it is. If I say: there will be crazy things, well it will happen - pearl was a crazy thing.
We are a not conventional company and there is so much fun to introduce unconventional rules to this boring plugin world
Staying with us you cannot be sure about anything, the best thing you can do: pay attention, most of things are anticipated with easter eggs, strange posts and whatever

Dont get me wrong, but it seems like all other companies are just selling plugins. Sell, sell, sell. For pearl we worked a lot and we decided to limit sales. This is unconventional, and it catches the immagination. This is exactly what a conventional company would never do. But it worked, and it works. Go on forums, pearl is already a legend. We have so much fun on everything else, especially breaking rules. We are forced to follow capitalistic rules, because we live in a capitalistic world... but hey, life is so much fun!
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby mathias » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:57 pm

well said! :D
so true, so let's have fun changing the game, where we can ...
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:25 am
Location: South-West Germany

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby owen_musician » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:59 am

For me the money is not necessarily the issue. I've always loved using Fairchilds but not every studio has them and they're rare and expensive. If I could get a 'virtual 670'that sounds and behaves like the real thing for 300 quid I'd get it in a flash - as the algo versions so far are useless.

The problem is that the AA version of the Fairchild is just not good enough to warrant the price tag. There's glitches and volume spikes, the controls are not accurate, there's still latency and heavy cpu loads and the actual compression behaviour doesn't work like any of the 660s/670s I've used.

There's no denying it has SOME of the Fairchild mojo - but my argument is that if you're charging top-dollar you better make damn sure your product is faultless. If I wanted a software 670 that doesn't satisfactorily deliver the feel and sound of the original, there's plenty of (far cheaper) options already out there.

So, either drop the price to reflect the issues with the current build, (99 euros or less) or keep the premium price but fix the issues. Personally I'd prefer the latter because I've always wanted the definitive software 670 and am happily prepared to pay for it.
owen_musician
User Level I
User Level I
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 10:59 am

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby davidgary73 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:47 am

It would be great to keep the price floating around 100 euros to 149 euros which will attract more customers and new users. I reckon this is the best price for many to purchase.

Placing a price around 300 euros or below for special rare items, some may buy and some may not. No big deal. You win some, you lose some.

Like ngarjuna, me and many others here who does not have a chance to purchase Pearl, its not an end but this are my thought on this:

Acustica may want to be different and special among the audio society. Wonderful and great and i would highly encourage you to do so but let me enlighten you on "limited" editions.

Pearl has an "exclusive" limited following of 100 people ( Congrats :) )and most of them rave about it. Legendary? Nope. Is not going to be a legend if its not known by many. Is a "mini" legend among ONLY the special 100 who purchased it but not the world. Well, mini is better than nothing right LOLZ.

For the 100 Pearl purchasers, do step into our shoes and imagine you're one that did not get to buy it. How does it feel to heard people rave about it and you don't get to even use it? Feels left out?? Yes of course..Good thing some of us can ignore this "left out" feeling hahahaha.

I would ask everyone here who are engineers or producers to head into any studios and ask them if they know what is Pearl. I would say 100 percent that none of them would know what Pearl is because they have no experience with it. Shocking?? Not really. That's the price of not being known.

Why hardwares like 670, SHMC, 1073, Massive Passive etc are legendary? Because they are used in hundreds or thousands of studios, not limited to few.

My take on this, make Acustica legendary but offering their products to the world and don't limit to "limited editions".

Well, we're here to support this company and all 3rd party developers to spur head into making better tools for us all to use.

Cheers and God Bless!!
Last edited by davidgary73 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.3.1 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta3 • Green3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • N3 & N4 • Diamond • Ivory2 •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
User avatar
davidgary73
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 9:08 am

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby davidgary73 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:01 am

@owen_musician

I could not afford Ultramarine due to its high price hence i opt for MJUC. Some here may think that is not up to par but then again, its only 24 Euros. Plus adding Henry's mojo, i'm there hahaha.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram • Logic Pro X 10.3.1 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta3 • Green3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • N3 & N4 • Diamond • Ivory2 •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
User avatar
davidgary73
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 9:08 am

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby giancarlo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:40 am

I agree that a level of service or a product could be improved and aligned with the price. But we released a trial demo exactly for that! you can judge if it is worth or not. The product is on many aspects one of best emulations around if not the best, and level of complexity reached in our tech is a good indicator
If you think it is too much expensive do not buy, but we are not doing anything wrong imho: we build a product, we evaluate its price, we put in the shop.
Without a trial it would be way different, because tihere was the silly refund issue.

Btw: when a customer says the price is not worth there is ANYTHING wrong
For many customers audi or lamborgini cars are too much expensive for example, the prefer sometimes wvagens and porsches
It depends on the value you give to objects, your needs, and so on
The company could price a pagani 1.2 millions, and they are not wrong!
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest