Giancarlo
this is in short Great and holy cow :D
really looking forward to an Aqua channel strip
and i must say i like the price too
100 euro price range is music to my ears
i suspect this will sell well
Many thanks
:mrgreen:
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory2 IAE-2 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3S • N4
jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby giancarlo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 pm

flipnaut wrote:come on g. put the camera on and show us 20 seconds what is on your laptop :D

Not my laptop... This is the issue! So we should wait at least for monday
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: A note from Giancarlo about Acustica pricing schema

Postby jfjer379 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:51 pm

i did not know Rupert N had anything to do with the A-mek but everything Rupert have been involved in i want to have so the eq alone will be wort it for me

but I'm really interested in that compressor too of course
and i have to ask too, is it based on the a-mek comp`s complete behaviour or did you modify it to be more versatile ?

i actually cant wait for this release now, very exiting :D

and when was the Amethyst release again ? :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory2 IAE-2 • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • Titanium2 • White2 • N3S • N4
jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Postby zabukowski » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:34 pm

i did not know Rupert N had anything to do with the A-mek but everything Rupert have been involved in i want to have so the eq alone will be wort it for me

http://www.amek.com/products/purepath/index.html

Happy owner of the Channel in a Box (CIB) here :)
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby Mordus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:28 pm

zabukowski wrote:

http://www.amek.com/products/purepath/index.html

Happy owner of the Channel in a Box (CIB) here :)

Here another happy owner of the DMCL ;) ... very nice machines...
Keep it simple, be happy.

Logic Pro X / Reaper / RME / Italian Handcrafted Loudspeakers
Mordus

Postby giancarlo » Tue May 17, 2016 9:16 pm

interesting question and answer posted on gs

Yet, the ones you taught developed correct compression 3 years before you did on inferior tech, and their libraries have always been superior sounding to yours. They are the reason thousands of us even started using Nebula. I was taught to Engineer by several people, my work became superior to all of theirs, today I could teach them so much. I went where they could not or did not. We all have talents, strengths that make us who we are. Each developer is known for those strengths, we buy their library strengths. Why are you not using the strengths of those you taught, to maximize the technology you created?

Tells us G, what has changed in the Nebula playback engine from N3 and the original Acqua's? There is a difference, we hear it, we just want to track down what changed, and work to correct it.

We care G, that's why we post. I could easily be mixing right now and let this slide. If I didn't care, it would be easier on me, my brain, & my time.

At the end of the day, the real question is.....
How can we get Nebula 3 sound quality with Core 8 Acqua workflow?kfhkh

Answering this question IMHO, is the path to success.

'If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.' - Albert Einstein

I've been thinking about this since Navy was released.

your questions require a long answer, but this time please read it carefully before doing other questions.

Acustica Audio is a bit like Nasa. I'm not speaking about the rock-science side of nasa. But normally Nasa does things nobody is interested but they result useful later. For example you go to the moon and you develop "teflon", used for cooking. No moon, no teflon.

Several years ago, in 2007 we started releasing an awesome tech. The beauty of this tech is that it sounds very good. It is also a tech which creates a community. On the user side the workflow was not so good. We were criticized quite a lot, and Acustica would be NOTHING today without what happened in late 2013. Today there would be no topic about acustica here. Nothing to speak about, apart some awesome library developed by a some developer and immediatly described as "not worthing the effort".

Incomes were pretty low. Developer were pretty unsure about what to do. And our userbase is not so "small", we have more than 10000 paying customers for nebula (this answers also someone who says "pro" don't use nebula. It's unlikely we have 10000 bedroom producers. Willy you are maybe one of the other ones). But for sure in late 2013 they were interested in OTHER things. And beware, in 2013 there was still NO vmr, NO arousor, NO disto and so on.

So everything was a bet. This company had an income around 3000 eur ech month, just to said it better, I was earning at that time more than 360 EUR GROSS FOR DAY ALONE with the other job.
I said: we can improve the workflow and sustain a company.
There are two things to learn here:
- the awesome quality created by 3rd party developers were leading poor incomes, and we were selling the platform!
- the situation was everything but not good. At that time they were not selling an more
- people is interested in the compromise. Let's suppose developers are providing 100 but at an impossible compromise. Other companies are providing 80. There is space for 90, where everyone is happy.

So my bet was: can we provide a "normal" gui and a better compromise? can we reach the nebula quality removing constraints? no way a company like Acustica could create a library priced 20 eur like Alessandro Boschi is doing. Acustica Audio has stellar costs BECAUSE we should provide
- support
- develop new things
- debug

the one-band company was not possible: in the past I tried working full time for free, but no way I can provide support, develop new things and debug with the necessary quality. It is a cycle. We need people working on things. People working with dealers. People developing business. People debugging, providing support, creating things. People involved in piracy and hackers, or the website, or the incredible laws (I should add, we didn't have MOSS AT THAT TIME!!!! so the situation was going to be A LOT WORSE and we were NOT AWARE ABOUT THAT). Who pays invoices?
A company has a structure, stellar costs, and most of efforts are spent on developing new things.

There were several possible solutions:

- asking for money to 3rd party developers. Bad idea. They were starving and almost abandoning the platform. No cake there
- releasing the same things developers were doing. A stupid choice. They were poor. People was complaining the workflow. For which reason someone should buy the same library at a stellar cost just because we were providing a nice skin? beware, we tried it. Neo was a very good console program packed in a nice skin. I think it sold for about 3000 eur.
- destroy completely the developer community, and going to sue anyone trying to release a nebula library. This is the worst idea. Nebula is nebula... because there are 3rd party developers. Without them it is a company like many other ones. Yes apparently we could make money because capturing their sales... but they were really low sales

or

- improving the workflow and find something "practical". I remember a guy I spoke with in UK, he used exactly this word: practical.

So here my bet: creating something stellar and practical at the same time. Main question: can be an equalizer so much good using less samples? For example a developer release a 2500 library composed by 2 gigabytes (yes you read it correctly) of programs, dozens or maybe hundreds. Good library but NOT PRACTICAL. Yes if you are a geek, you belong to a poor country in Africa maybe you COULD be interested, but no way a pro user would dig in a 2 gigabytes library composed by many programs and looking for a particular setting of a stupid compressor. Unless you have A LOT OF TIME TO SPEND.

Now after all this time, and with A LOT OF EFFORTS, we had
- Minimization of interpolation errors even with a low number of samples
- Parallel loading of instances
- Coalescing of instances (running more instances with the same CPU requirement of a single one)
- Dynamic loading (loading a section of a preset in memory, so smaller loading time)
- Faster compressor, dynamic shapes for envelope followers (we released the new speed also in nebula land so THEY WERE ABLE TO DO IT AND FOR FREE. NO WAY IT WAS POSSIBLE BEFORE OUR DEVELOPMENTS. YES THERE WAS A TRICK FOR MAKING COMPRESSORS FASTER IN 2007 BUT LEADING TO IMPRESSIVE BUGS, WE DEBUGGED LOOKAHEAD JUST IN 2015)
- Zero latency
- GUI engine (you are watching it today in acqua land and you’ll have tomorrow in Nebula land BUT SOMEONE HAD TO CREATE IT, IT COULD NOT FIND IT ON TREES)
- AAX, AND AU (yes, in last 2013 we DIDN’T HAVE AU64)

They are just few ones. I even don’t remember how many things we developed. Today finally we can use the same number of samples used in nebula libraries, BUT TODAY. Again two points
- Today everything is good. But we needed a magenta 2 years ago
- If today you use those techniques for building a nebula library you could have REALLY a stellar quality. Imagine an interpolation free engine when you use JUST 2 SAMPLES for a gain when you are going to sample 24 or 48 steps. Unbelievable. Again the question today is: should Acustica create those libraries? Because if we do those libraries than developers would abandon definitively the platform

And now the two millions of dollars question, repeated so many times on this board and elsewhere:
- Why didn’t you use those awesome developers?
Here the answer is very complex. IN late 2013 no developer was going to help us. They wanted to be rewarded for their work and they were DECIDING what to release.
Let’s analyse consequence:
- They had impressive libraries. There was a famous one I wanted to move to acqua land. I will not say the developer name but the answer was simply “NO. I have incomes there”
- Only few ones decided to collaborate
- They were asking money, exactly percentages for incomes. Something like 20% to 40%. It is crazy, if I ask an endorsement to an hardware company they are in the 15% ballpark
- They decided plugins with a little selling point. The best plug-in we created with our developers had incomes around 4000 eur. No joking. For that exact plug-in I paid a developer for the GUI and it costed 1700. But I paid 40% to the developer. Do your maths.

Those 4 points should answer definitively all your questions.
Now, I cannot explain WHAT WE ARE GOING to do or release, I cannot anticipate anything BUT IN OUR WORKSHOP IN JULY WE’LL EXPLAIN IT TO OUR DEVELOPERS
The future is bright, and this was the ONLY PATH POSSIBLE.
Now if you ask to me about acqua or nebula plugin, buy WHAT YOU LIKE. Really. I earn money in both ways. If you advertise nebula I’ll sell nebula3 today and nebula4 tomorrow. If you advertise acqua I’ll sell acqua today and nebula4 libraries tomorrow. Considering the fact we are ALIVE and we have 9 employees I would say our incomes are enough today, so there are a lot of people looking for something practical. It doesn’t mean quality is lower. I means we decided to emulate unit which were ALLOWING such workflow, in a way that was a GOOD SHOWCASE for the tech we were developing at different stages, and SOLVING A PROBLEM. If today you have Pink (and the war is not over: as you can see mac guys are still asking for better optimizations) and you can use it like a normal plugin, and our developers have a POSSIBLE future is because our choices. And because a lot of users were looking exactly for what we have released: magenta, amber, pink, amethyst, purple, emerald, white…..

For everyone asking how did we achieved it, I have some advanced knowledge of economics, marketings, project management and IT WAS HARD (ehi, they were paying me a lot for that!). Compiling and coding is FUN and even easy compared to. As company we had several difficult moments because personal issues. Really SAD, really DIFFICULT, really SHOWSTOPPERS. I was even going to surrender. I had a terrible 2015 for something I cannot speak about, and it was a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE. I have also a child now, a baby. Last 2 years were really really hard but today I see the light.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby himhui » Wed May 18, 2016 2:26 am

giancarlo wrote:interesting question and answer posted on gs

Last 2 years were really really hard but today I see the light.

It is exactly the picture in my mind. Some people will never ever understand that Acqua is actually extending the life of nebula.
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.40 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed May 18, 2016 6:03 am

Exactly...
We are now an healty company, with nebula4 finally at the horizon, an usable tech for developers and even a business plan for them
At the same time we increased the userbase, we solved a lot of technical issues (aax, au, compressors) and everybody speaks about the company again on forums. Plus, we released a lot of awesome products
This is the point: acqua are a solution, not a trouble
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby lubomba » Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 am

Great post Giancarlo!
lubomba
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Thierr7 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 pm

+1 , Very Nice and instructive Post Indeed :)
Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements